Long Road Ahead. New WOFT Applicant

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking around this forum for a few days now for information. It has been extremely helpful so far and now its time that I introduce myself.

I just got out of the Coast Guard as an E-5 this past February after six years Active Duty. I am now attending Fordham University in New York and was able to transfer a substantial amount of credits from online classes I took while I was in the military and should be finishing my degree within a year (give or take a semester). Flying has always been a dream of mine but I was discouraged during my initial entry into the military when I failed to pass the PIP color vision test, but passed the alternate FALANT lantern test. The recruiters all explained to me that as far as getting enlisted jobs I was considered normal color perception because of the FALANT but future jobs in the Officer Corps would not be possible as they require you to pass the PIP. After having separated from the military and enrolling in college I have been doing a lot of digging on my own and have found that the FALANT does in fact qualify me for officer programs in the Army, and it does also count as a pass on color vision for flight physicals. Knowing this now, I am dead set and confident with pursuing my dream of becoming an aviator.

So far I have found a local recruiter who has agreed to assist me with the process of putting my package together. I am working on getting LORs from my previous CO and Command Master Chief (who also happens to be a prior Army Ranger), and a local County Legislator that knows me personally. I plan on visiting some air bases with hopes of making a good impression and making some good connections as I have observed that getting a LOR from an aviator is golden. I have also started working on my Resume, studying for the SIFT, and the "Why I Want to be an Army Aviator," essay. I also went and took the ASVAB to bring my previous scores up and I scored an 84 AFQT / 124 GT.

My next meeting with my recruiter is tomorrow, where I will begin compiling my package and hopefully schedule my physicals. I'll keep posting my experience throughout the process as much as I can. Hopefully it will be of some help to someone else down the line.

Thanks in advance for all the knowledge, and best of luck to all the other applicants! Any questions just let me know.

-Tyler

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking around this forum for a few days now for information. It has been extremely helpful so far and now its time that I introduce myself.

I just got out of the Coast Guard as an E-5 this past February after six years Active Duty. I am now attending Fordham University in New York and was able to transfer a substantial amount of credits from online classes I took while I was in the military and should be finishing my degree within a year (give or take a semester). Flying has always been a dream of mine but I was discouraged during my initial entry into the military when I failed to pass the PIP color vision test, but passed the alternate FALANT lantern test. The recruiters all explained to me that as far as getting enlisted jobs I was considered normal color perception because of the FALANT but future jobs in the Officer Corps would not be possible as they require you to pass the PIP. After having separated from the military and enrolling in college I have been doing a lot of digging on my own and have found that the FALANT does in fact qualify me for officer programs in the Army, and it does also count as a pass on color vision for flight physicals. Knowing this now, I am dead set and confident with pursuing my dream of becoming an aviator.

So far I have found a local recruiter who has agreed to assist me with the process of putting my package together. I am working on getting LORs from my previous CO and Command Master Chief (who also happens to be a prior Army Ranger), and a local County Legislator that knows me personally. I plan on visiting some air bases with hopes of making a good impression and making some good connections as I have observed that getting a LOR from an aviator is golden. I have also started working on my Resume, studying for the SIFT, and the "Why I Want to be an Army Aviator," essay. I also went and took the ASVAB to bring my previous scores up and I scored an 84 AFQT / 124 GT.

My next meeting with my recruiter is tomorrow, where I will begin compiling my package and hopefully schedule my physicals. I'll keep posting my experience throughout the process as much as I can. Hopefully it will be of some help to someone else down the line.

Thanks in advance for all the knowledge, and best of luck to all the other applicants! Any questions just let me know.

-Tyler

Tyler -

I'm not sure I can comment on the color perception, but if you can get over that hump, your dreams of becoming an aviator are entirely doable as long as you put in the effort. I presume if you were in the military before, you're don't have any other glaring medical or legal issues.

If you get a 4-year degree, work on letters, and doing reasonably well on the SIFT, you should be fine. Your ASVAB/GT score is ok, although typically selectees are a little higher. I will say that the "Whole Person Concept" is definitely looked at. My scores left much to be desire, but my work experience, essay, resume, and letters shined. I had good comments from the Battalion Board too.

Be persistent and you should have no problem fulfilling your dreams. I'm a recent selectee and I thought being selected was far fetched in the beginning -- If I can make it, I'm sure you can as well.

• Like 1

Tyler -

I'm not sure I can comment on the color perception, but if you can get over that hump, your dreams of becoming an aviator are entirely doable as long as you put in the effort. I presume if you were in the military before, you're don't have any other glaring medical or legal issues.

If you get a 4-year degree, work on letters, and doing reasonably well on the SIFT, you should be fine. Your ASVAB/GT score is ok, although typically selectees are a little higher. I will say that the "Whole Person Concept" is definitely looked at. My scores left much to be desire, but my work experience, essay, resume, and letters shined. I had good comments from the Battalion Board too.

Be persistent and you should have no problem fulfilling your dreams. I'm a recent selectee and I thought being selected was far fetched in the beginning -- If I can make it, I'm sure you can as well.

I appreciate your uplifting comments. I am highly motivated to pursue this career path and I will remain ever persistent until I reach my goal. I know I don't have the best ASVAB scores, but I am currently studying for the SIFT and working my ass off to ensure a competitive score. I know that I can only take it once granted that I pass. I am projected to take it April 17. I'll be sure to post an update to let everyone know how I make out with it. Recruiter says I won't go to my physical until after I pass the SIFT so we will find out if I make it past the color vision hurdle a little later on. As far as recommendations go I have been networking and I'm confident that those will be top notch. So now it is just up to me to get a great PFT and SIFT score.

Congrats on your selection!