Changing my mind about WOFT

Gotcha!

Not really changing my mind about WOFT all together, just the path in which I want to pursue it. After some thought and discussion with my wife, I have decided it best that I go NG rather than AD. I was never really worried about "building" flight time, as much as I was the actual flying, and the missions we would perform. The LAARNG is always being called up for hurricanes and natural disasters, and flying those types of missions is really appealing to me.That being said I don't think I'm really losing anything by going the guard route.

With my civilian recruiter, I have already completed the ASVAB, MEPS Physical, SIFT, and Flight Physical. I believe the only things left in my packet are AFPT, LoR's and Essay.

I've already spoken with state aviation command and was told all of my scores/physicals should transfer over, and that I sound like I would be a good candidate for flight school. Obviously the catch being that I would need to join the guard first, which to be honest was something I've considered doing anyway.

My question is, at what point to I call up my recruiter and "cancel" my packet? Or should I go in? When I actually do talk to them, how do I tell them? Do I just say I changed my mind, or family situation isn't right, or do I just be honest and say I'm going guard? I'm sure I will catch flack any way I do it. My actual recruiter is leaving in May anyway, so I'm sure he wont care, but the station commander is a real prick and I'm sure will have some choice words.

• Like 1

If go in, say you changed your mind, it is what it is. They can get over it. If make sure you leave with every single piece of paper they have on you though.

👏👏👏👏👏👏 on the guard route...

Did you already speak to your WOSM? Do you know for sure you can't submit a packet until you are enlisted already?

What's your plan for a civilian job once you are done with flight school?

Whoa, Lindsey! Been awhile.

Continue working as an engineering project manager in the Oil&Gas industry. I've done enough flying in the GoM as a passenger to know I do not want to fly it as a pilot. I will however maintain civilian/commercial ratings and fly often for recreation both fixed and rotor. My uncle also owns many farms (rice and sugarcane) in the state, and I may get explore aerial application.

• Like 1

If go in, say you changed your mind, it is what it is. They can get over it. If make sure you leave with every single piece of paper they have on you though.

on the guard route...

Did you already speak to your WOSM? Do you know for sure you can't submit a packet until you are enlisted already?

I did, I spoke with both the WOSM, and the Command Cheif Warrant Officer at State Aviation Command, and they both confirmed that they cannot submit a packet for flight school for someone who is not a member of the guard.

Honesty is always the way to go.

Is there an aviation unit in the Lafayette area? I know someone flying for the guard in Hammond.

No, it would have to be Hammond, or Pineville/Alexandria (Estler Field)

I did, I spoke with both the WOSM, and the Command Cheif Warrant Officer at State Aviation Command, and they both confirmed that they cannot submit a packet for flight school for someone who is not a member of the guard.

K it's just like we talked about then.

Whoa, Lindsey! Been awhile.

Continue working as an engineering project manager in the Oil&Gas industry. I've done enough flying in the GoM as a passenger to know I do not want to fly it as a pilot. I will however maintain civilian/commercial ratings and fly often for recreation both fixed and rotor. My uncle also owns many farms (rice and sugarcane) in the state, and I may get explore aerial application.

Oh ok, you're solid then. I'd forgotten you have a sweet gig already. You're making a good choice! We had lots of guard guys and gals in my WOCS class.

I been told the same thing here in PR and read the same online from other States.

They told me that I would be joining as a Enlisted but before doing so I would have to go to a interview with the CCWO at the State Aviation Command and complete all the flight physical, SIFT, asvab etc.. You are ahead in that part.

Once you arrive from your AIT they will send you to a official state aviation board and once you pass you will be placed in a OML while the state has the funds to send you to ft. Rucker

They told me it does not have to be to a 15 series MOS it can be to any MOS available. But I probably wanna take a 15 series MOS instead of something not aviation related.

Let us know how it goes.

Haha, actually it was very anti-climactic (sp). He basically just said. "I wish you the best of luck", to which I did the same as he is leaving for Korea next month. He probably doesn't care very much since he's on his way out the door.

I stand corrected. My rec didn't really care, but the SSG taking over for him sure did. She called me yesterday, on Easter of all days, to discuss why I wanted to stop my processing. Wanted to know if we could get together sometime this week to discuss a path forward. She also wanted to know what other MOS's I might be interested in. I think she was even a little offended when I told her 153A or bust. Wanted to know why I would limit myself when their are so many good opportunities. Even said she thinks I would make a good officer and that I should look at that route. UMM HELLOOO do you really think I would submit myself to the suck fest that is the WOFT packet race if I remotely thought I would rather do something else? Furthermore do you think I am unaware that OCS is closed to new applicants at this time? Sounds like this one is just pulling out all the stops to get another check on the tally sheet. Makes me realize my previous rec was genuinely a good dude. I will NOT be meeting with this chick even to humor her.

• Like 1

By paperwork, what do you guys mean? I mean have my Sift Score, ASVAB scores. Not sure what other paperwork there is that wouldn't have to be re-filled out. All of my MEPS stuff is accessible by the guard through the same portal that the AD guys retrieve it from. Only thing I do not have access to is my flight physical, but by the time I finish actually joining the guard and apply for flight school, I would need a new one anyway.

The purpose I was thinking was not to get it for the guard but so that the shady recruiting office doesn't have your information laying around its office for god knows how long....

OK, I am a dinasour, so I am not up on all this "portal" part of the military paperwork anymore......

Flashback to April 1984, I was a brand-new PVT in the Army Guard. Some old SGT came over to me and introduced himself. After some small talk he said, "Son, make sure you keep a copy of every piece of paperwork the Army ever gives you. Some day you may need it." I don't know why I listened to that advice, since I was 18 years old and knew EVERYTHING! Well, 27 years later (2011) as I was retiring from the Guard I needed some of that paperwork and I knew exactly where to find it.

So, my advice to you is the same as that old SGT gave me so many years ago. Keep a personal copy of everything you do in or for the Army.

Good luck to you. I enjoyed everyday I served in the Guard as an Aviator.

OK, I am a dinasour, so I am not up on all this "portal" part of the military paperwork anymore......

Flashback to April 1984, I was a brand-new PVT in the Army Guard. Some old SGT came over to me and introduced himself. After some small talk he said, "Son, make sure you keep a copy of every piece of paperwork the Army ever gives you. Some day you may need it." I don't know why I listened to that advice, since I was 18 years old and knew EVERYTHING! Well, 27 years later (2011) as I was retiring from the Guard I needed some of that paperwork and I knew exactly where to find it.

So, my advice to you is the same as that old SGT gave me so many years ago. Keep a personal copy of everything you do in or for the Army.

Good luck to you. I enjoyed everyday I served in the Guard as an Aviator.

Good advice! Maybe I will honor her meeting on Wed just to make sure I have it.

• 5 weeks later...

Well the deed has been dome. I am officially a member of the LA ARG. I enlisted and swore in yesterday as a 15T. I leave for BCT and AIT at the end of Sept. WOFT packet will be in the works until them

• Like 2