Commercial Privaleges under Part 91

I'm saying you underestimate the 1,000 hr CFI.

Most of us who take the time to respond to you, however little you sometimes deserve it, were once 1,000 hour CFI's. You sound a lot like a teenager telling an adult "you could never understand what it's like to be a teenager." Grow up.

Do you honestly think CFI's don't know about Part 43? You're right. It isn't on our Part 141 stage checks that I conduct.

That you don't know and understand Part 43 is disgraceful, but that you're not teaching your students about airworthiness is unforgivable. You're releasing students into the world without having prepared them, and basic airworthiness needs to be something that any student pilot understands. The instructor who fails to teach a student about airworthiness, including requirements and determination, has let the student down and failed in his or her basic duty.

How can you determine if the aircraft is airworthy, if you don't know or understand airworthiness?

You're telling me you can't be expected to know this? Of course you can. Of course you're expected to know this. You're also expected to abide by the regulation, and you'll be held accountable for it. In enforcement action, the FAA doesn't care if you were ignorant of the regulation; run afoul of it and you'll be held accountable just the same, as ignorance of the law is never an excuse.

You call it sarcasm, and then go on to say that while you said you didn't know the regulation but were only being sarcastic, you actually didn't know the regulation (and therefore were not sarcastic). You further that statement by suggesting that you cannot be expected to know the regulation. Stop making excuses, open the books and learn what you should already have known, and should already be teaching.

If you're a thousand hour CFI, there is absolutely no excuse for not knowing this material.

AvBug.... I am learning every day as I hope you still are. I never said I didn't know what Part 43 was, however, I didn't say I know everything in it. I teach my students about airworthiness and Part 43, but that doesn't mean I know as much as an A&P about Part 43. I even asked an A&P about it the other day and he didn't know the exact Reg. I ask my students, if you picked up a brand new helicopter, how would you know it is airworthy. I do take pride in my job, and that is why I am on these forums, to learn from what I beleive, is a vast array of experienced pilots. However, I could care less if you ever respond to any of my posts, as I take more stock in attitude, than I do intelligence.

I find it offensive that you think I can't determine if an aircraft is legal to fly or not. What I'm determining on this forum, is where those regs come from. Yes we have tons of Regs in 91 saying blah blah blah. But where did that reg come from? Part 27? Part 43? I am trying to find out more Why's, to better myself and my students.

AvBug, let me ask you this... In most POH's, they state a wind that the helicopter has been shown to be adaquetly controlled in from all azimuths. Would I have to know that came from Part 27 in order to safely and legally fly the helicopter? NO!! I am following the RFM's instructions and where that RFM got that information from is extra information that I don't even need to know. But would it be a good idea to find out that extra information? Sure. I'm trying to figure out the Why's behind a lot of this stuff. Just because a Reg says something and I ask a question about it doesn't mean I don't know the Reg. Maybe I'm asking where that Reg came from?

AvBug.... One last thing... I find it strange that even though I don't know the Regs that I'm not teaching my students, they keep on passing check rides. Weird, oh well, they must be forgetting the bad regs I'm telling them, and learning all the regs that I don't tell them, then passing check rides. I'm sure that's it.

Not for nothing, but at this point in my career, without prep, I would not want to go up against a current CFI in FAR knowledge. Maybe we could put together a Reality based game show...Are you smarter than a current CFI ?

• Like 1

Staying on topic, I think that the commercial regs are the main part of commercial training that is not a massive refinement of what has already been learned in private. The regs destroy their initial concept of what a commercial license is about and after a while they realize that not much has changed. Most of the exemptions for 119 are exactly what helicopters are used for.

I spend a lot of time on teaching it, then they go into instrument training and forget it completely. So then I teach it again. Then they see it again during CFI.

When I first get into the regs the students usually take a very long time to really grasp the concepts of what can be done. By grasp I mean go beyond rote regurgitation. However, rote regurgitation is more than enough to get through a check ride.

Not for nothing, but at this point in my career, without prep, I would not want to go up against a current CFI in FAR knowledge. Maybe we could put together a Reality based game show...Are you smarter than a current CFI ?

I would watch that.
  • Like 1