Military Competency for Type Rating Only

If someone is already rated as an ATP in Rotorcraft Helicopter and then completes training in the Blackhawk (S-70), do they still need to take the military competency exam to add the S-70 type rating to their certificate?

According to FAR 61.73( b )(2), Has passed the military competency aeronautical knowledge test on the appropriate parts of this chapter for commercial pilot privileges and limitations, air traffic, and general operating rules, and accident reporting rules.

However, according to FAR 61.73(f), there is no mention of the competency exam: Aircraft type rating placed on an airline transport pilot certificate. A person who is a military pilot or former military pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces and requests an aircraft type rating to be placed on an existing U.S. airline transport pilot certificate may be issued the rating at the airline transport pilot certification level, provided that the person: (1) Holds a category and class rating for that type of aircraft at the airline transport pilot certification level; and (2) Has passed an official U.S. military pilot check and instrument proficiency check in that type of aircraft.

Thoughts?

Edited by Bootcamp

I would call a FSDO and ask them... it seems they always have ex-army guys working there. They might just want some paper work on the checkride completion and it looks you should be good to go.

Two different things. One is a military competency aeronautical test to get a commercial license and the other is simply a records check to issue a type rating.

If someone already has an ATP then there is no point in taking a test. If they aren't current or former military and they want a type in the S-70, then they'll have to go through an approved civilian program to get issued that type.

Not required. I did my competency test to get the commercial/instrument and didn't bother with the S70 type rating cause I never expected to fly one as a civilian. Turns out I am flying one as a civilian so I had it added later. They just checked my 759 and added the rating. Turned out it wasn't required for my job so I still don't know what good it is but you can add it if you want.

• Like 2

If you've graduated flight school, (fairly certain) or passed a Stands and instrument ride as part of your APART(definite), you meet 61.73(f)(2)

"Has passed an official U.S. military pilot check and instrument proficiency check in that type of aircraft."

I'm only uncertain about flight school because the instrument check ride in the hawk isn't necessarily given by an IE, where the one you'll receive in your APART *is* given by an IE.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm not sure how the local FSDO interprets this IPC. Is the eval that occurs in flight school suffice? No where does it say it must be given by an IE. Pretty sure we have people graduating out of the 60 course and getting issued a type rating based upon the training that occurred in flight school.

Personally, I think the interpretation of the "IPC" should be the APART instrument eval given annually at your unit.

Edited by Velocity173

To be honest, I'm not sure how the local FSDO interprets this IPC. Is the eval that occurs in flight school suffice? No where does it say it must be given by an IE. Pretty sure we have people graduating out of the 60 course and getting issued a type rating based upon the training that occurred in flight school.

Personally, I think the interpretation of the "IPC" should be the APART instrument eval given annually at your unit.

That's why I worded it that way. I hear people have done it right out of flight school, but I agree with you.

...what if you get your ride in Flight School with an IE? Would you consider it any more valid?Further, as a "dumb" flight school student...how would you know?

That's why I worded it that way. I hear people have done it right out of flight school, but I agree with you.

...what if you get your ride in Flight School with an IE? Would you consider it any more valid?Further, as a "dumb" flight school student...how would you know?

Yeah, possibly the FSDO has no idea that the instrument eval given in the 60 course is usually given by an IP and not an IE. Obviously the whole intent of an IPC in the civilian world is one given by a CFII. I would think it at least need to be given by an IE to meet the requirement.

The thing is, I'm not even sure those check rides were the same tasks covered in the ATM on an APART. It's been 9 yrs and I don't have a "horse blanket" in front of me so I'm not sure.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

10 hours of "pilot time as a military pilot in a U.S. military aircraft in the kind of aircraft category, class, and type, if a class rating or type rating is applicable, for the aircraft rating sought."

PIC is not required.

Edited by SBuzzkill