Logging Night Flight

Logging for night currency does not begin until an hour after the end of evening civil twilight, and and ends an hour before the beginning of morning civil twilight..

Night is considered a "condition of flight" by the regulation, and so the definition of that condition, as prescribed by the regulation, applies.

Night as defined by 14 CFR 1.1 is the period beginning at the end of evening civil twilight and ending at morning civil twilight.

To log night time, one may proceed using the condition of night as defined by 1.1. However, for the purposes of logging for recency of flight, one must wait an hour after that, in the evening, as defined by 61.57.

• Like 1

Logging for night currency does not begin until an hour after the end of evening civil twilight, and and ends an hour before the beginning of morning civil twilight..

Unless they recently changed that its actually one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise.

• Like 1

Astro is correct. avbug's answer is actually the FAA's definition of "night", not the time period for becoming current. Back to the books, boys.

edit

I guess I will answer the original question. I would say you can't log night unless the FAA says it's night (the end of evening civil twilight to the beginning of morning civil twilight). And then there is the position light rule: sundown to sunrise (unless you live in Alaska, of course!). It doesn't have to be this complicated, but it is.

Edited by helonorth
  • Like 1

Summary:

Sunset - sunrise = Position lights on

End of civil twilight to beginning of civil twilight = Night time

1 hour after sunset - 1 hour before sunrise = Pax currency time cutoffs

The original question was, "When can you legally log night flight?"

- Nothing was ever said about currency, or position lights, or anything else, just when can you log night hours. The answer is from the end of civil twilight to the beginning of civil twilight.

End of thread. I was right, give me the points! Next question. :ph34r:

• Like 3