Silver State Helicopters

I knew a guy who knows a guy, who once was married to a woman, who had a roommate in college, whose ex boyfriend once saw a pig fly.

Have any real proof?

Posted: Sep. 03 2004,06:09 Topic: Video Showing 407 Loop and Roll

CJ Eliassen

RD has merit with his post, its not just slanderous hearsay.

P.S. Pigs do fly, just go to the Airborne Law Enforcement Forum for real proof  :laugh:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a student that trained at the school I'm at and is now a CFI for SSH in Salt Lake. He lives there so it was better for him to work there than at the school he trained at. He did not train there because the school was to far away, but they opened another school closer to his location, so he now works there. Anyway I will see if I can get a hold of him and ask if the allegations are true. I know of one of our CFI's that was there then left to go to the gulf to fly is coming here on his days of so I will ask him too. If I see him, and if he stops by the school. I will post when I know more, until then keep an open mind and fly safe. :cool:

Steve ::rotorhead::

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I have been looking @ this site for about a week and finally joined. I have a few questions about Silver State Helicopters school. A buddy joined a few moths ago but I have looked around about the school and there seemed to be alot of people who do not like this school but never give any specfic reasons. I would like to hear all concerns with this school and if anyone here has finished this school how did you like it and do they really hire 98% of their students? It almost sounds to good to be true so I don't want to lay down $56,000 if they are not what they advertise. I don't mind spending the money but I expect to get what I pay for. If anyone has any other info on this business please let me know. I heard there is a shortage of pilots but also sounds to good to be true? Thanks in advance. Love this site

I have been following the SSH topic for a while but have no personal experience in dealing with them myself. From what I've gathered is either none of SSH's graduating students use the Internet to give some feed back or SSH hasn't had any graduating students.

About you putting down $56,000... Hold on, wait a minute.

Before you sign your name on any dotted line, read the loan agreement VERY carefully.

I took out a loan with Sallie Mea and  my payments are sent to the school in disbursements. This way if the school goes belly up, my unused money is secure and still with the Lending Bank.

Another good thing about disbursements is you don't have to pay the interested on the entire loan from the beginning. Interest is only accumulated on money pulled from your account.

Paying Interest on $56,000 for a year when lets say you only used $23,000 is ridiculous.

Do you have the loan details for SSH? I'd be interested in reading it.

The way I understand it you don't pay anything up front you start paying after 18 months after you sign up. They give up everything up front including headset. It is also broken into three sections so if you quit or fail say the first part of ground school you only have to pay that portion the further you go the more you pay if you quit or fail. the interest is about 4-5% on there site. My biggest concern is if the money wich includes turbine training am I going to be able to get a job. I am 31yrs old and have a wife and 3 kids. This is something I have always wanted to do but thats a lot of money.

Adding to unsubstantiated rumor, their business model is not sustainable (as previously posted on other threads).  AllJeep has good advice about the disbursement of funds and what protection you have.  Also, I have been told that some very respected and independant folks have been approached by officers from a few states Attorney General offices gathering information about Silver State.  I don't know if that means they are actively under investigation, if they are thinking about investigation, or none of the above.

Why spend $56K when you could buy a share in an R-22 and get all your ratings for $20K?

Many operators refuse to hire Silverstate graduates.

You can expect to make less than $10,000 a year if hired by them.

You are being trained by low time instructors who were themselves by low time instructors and so fourth and so on...  Find an experienced instructor who understands your learning style and fly with them.  If you find a small operation, you are more likely to end up with a good job with them if you are a good student.

JMHO

Mr Eliasen,

Your information sources are not reliable.

May I ask whom these operators are? You are the only person to have made this claim, yet you refuse to elaborate.

Your failure to obtain employment with SSH explains your bias, but how do you explian your rediculously false statements?

Do you honestly believe that anyone employed by SSH makes less than $10,000? Minimum wage allows for greater prosperity. Our Instuctors begin at $18 per hour and top out at $25 per hour. These CFI's average about 30 hours per week. The lowest man on the totem-pole, whom we are very grateful for, provides us with clean restrooms and empty trash cans. This individual earns significantly more than $10,000 annually.

As far as being trained by low time instructors, this is true throughout the flight instruction industry. You, yourself are a low time pilot. Flight instruction is how we, as pilots, build hours.

Prior to your posts on this board, I may well have forgotten your name and your lack of professionalism displayed at your interview with us. I assure you that I will not overlook anyone in the industry thoughout my career whos name is even remotely similar to yours.

Respectfully,

AO3

I never applied at SSH, but I have seen your unethical ads suggesting that the average helicopter pilot makes over $100,000 a year.  Why don't you explain that math to us AO3? Is that the same math you use to determine that your instructors average over 30 hours week?  

I am glad to see you uped your instructors rates.  Last time I checked you were around $12 an hour.

There seems to be a great deal of interest in Silver State Helicopters, so I've consolidated several threads.  The "Silver State Helicopters" thread was moved from the "GENERAL HELICOPTER FORUM" to the "FLIGHT TRAINING" forum.  The "Silverstate experience" thread was also moved from the "GENERAL HELICOPTER FORUM" to the "FLIGHT TRAINING FORUM."  The following threads were merged into the current "Silver State Helicopters" thread:

"Silverstate experience"

"Information on Silver State Helicopters???"

"Silver State Helicopters, Am I the only one not making $100K?"

"Newbie with some questions?"

THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM OF OPINION, SO YOU MAY COMMENT FREELY.  HOWEVER, PROFESSIONALISM IS ENCOURAGED AND PERSONAL ATTACKS ARE DISCOURAGED.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT & HELP IN KEEPING THIS THE BEST HELICOPTER FORUM!

Mr. Eliassen,

If your claim to have never applied at SSH is true, then I apologize. I suppose that it was someone else, whom happened to have the exact same name as you.

As for the $100,000 per year quote, the article clearly stated that was the average income for a Chief pilot in the GOM. I am not in a promotions or advertising position, so my mathmatical skills in that context are irrelevant.

The math involved in determining the average flight hours per CFI is; 5 hours per day X 6 days per week= 30.

Your reference to "upping our instructor rates" is also incorrect, this pay has actually decreased. Starting pay was once $25 per hour with no raises. Again, you sources have proved unreliable.

Thank you for you continued professional rhetoric. I'll be looking forward to you future false accusations.

Respectfully,

AO3

How many people here know any Chief helicopter pilots making over $100,000 a year?  I know many $50-$60 a year tops, so A03, could you provide some examples of Chief pilots making $200,000+ a year?  

If I did apply to SSH it was many many years ago and I wouldn't have interviewed with you because of the numerous people who strongly suggested I stay as far away SSH as possible.

So, you were paying instructors $25 an hour, but you decided the instructors you train are not worth that much?

Replying to a post by Patch.

Reference your question, and based on your circumstances, do not shell out all this money for your training unless you have some kind of alternative income. If you have to pay back that money over several years, it will take you forever to see ANY real return on your investment. Also a turbine transition is THE biggest con in any kind of training package. It is simply not required and gives you ZERO leverage in gaining good work.

Pay as you go is the best way. Take a look at smaller companies too.

Perhaps SSH should hire a PR firm instead of rouges like A03 coming out and and try to slam everyone who's spoken agianst or provided rumors about SSH.

A negative plus a negative does not equal a positive. To the outside observer, it makes them look even worse! I've dealt with the good, the bad and the ugly of helicopter companies. The high quality ones would deal with negative rumors (even the best company has issues). They would meet them head on rather than try to move around and fling more mud. The lesser, would respond exactly as you have.

One person cannot speak for a whole company though, and perhaps a more coordianted response would have been better.

Anyways, consider all sourses when forming opinions about anything.

James

ok guys I think that is enough information for me to stay away from SSH. Can anyone tell me of any good schools that are around Ontario, Ca. and exactly what to begging pilots make cause I do have a family to worry about no matter how much I want to fly for a living.

another ??? If I can go to school @ least three nights a week but only fly two days a week. About how long will it take to get my cfi and cant I start working with a cfi? Sorry for the dumb questions just looking for as much information as possible. I have always wanted to fly for a living but I am just now getting to a point in my life where I can seriously think about it.

Alljeep,

Unfortuneately, I do not know the the total numbers, company-wide. However, there is an article in the December, 2004 issue of Private Pilot magazine that does provide some of these stats; "...they've issued 354 private, 163 commercial and 81 CFI ratings." I'm sure that it's safe to assume that these numbers have increased since print time.

Over the past three weeks, this office alone has produced 2 CFI's, 7 commercial pilots and 3 private pilots.

Respectfully,

AO3

How many people here know any Chief helicopter pilots making over $100,000 a year?  I know many $50-$60 a year tops, so A03, could you provide some examples of Chief pilots making $200,000+ a year?  

If I did apply to SSH it was many many years ago and I wouldn't have interviewed with you because of the numerous people who strongly suggested I stay as far away SSH as possible.

So, you were paying instructors $25 an hour, but you decided the instructors you train are not worth that much?

Mr. Eliassen,

You seem a bit flustered. I'm sure there are many CP's in the instruction arena earning $50-$60,000 per year as you stated. I'm not sure where your $200,000+ per year figure is coming from and I don't see the relevance.

Your second paragraph is also confusing. Did you "apply at SSH many many years ago" or did you stay away from us as numerous of your cohorts suggested. The CJ Eliassen that I remember was in our office only a few months ago.

As for our previous starting wage of $25 per hour without raises, we felt that it left little or no incentive, so we altered our pay scale accordingly.

Please understand that it is not my intent to argue, but I do feel that it is neccessary to dispell some of your accusations.

Respectfully,

AO3

I think C.J. was stating what was implied.  Silver State indicated an AVERAGE salary of $100,000 dollars.  If that is the average, and most pilots earn $50,000 - $60,000 dollars, then you MUST have numerous examples of pilots earning $200,000 or more?  There might be some VVIP pilots making that kind of coin, but not THAT many.

Also, you didn't answer AllJeep's question, "Can you provide us with how many SSH students passed and now hold a CFI rating?"  Further, your business model seems almost pyramid-like and it doesn't appear to be sustainable in the long term.  Perhaps you could explain how hiring a few instructors to teach hundreds of new students in a revolving cycle can continue unchecked?

Perhaps SSH should hire a PR firm instead of rouges like A03 coming out and and try to slam everyone who's spoken agianst or provided rumors about SSH.

A negative plus a negative does not equal a positive. To the outside observer, it makes them look even worse! I've dealt with the good, the bad and the ugly of helicopter companies. The high quality ones would deal with negative rumors (even the best company has issues). They would meet them head on rather than try to move around and fling more mud. The lesser, would respond exactly as you have.

One person cannot speak for a whole company though, and perhaps a more coordianted response would have been better.

Anyways, consider all sourses when forming opinions about anything.

James

Fulldownauto,

It is not my intent to "slam" anyone. I'm am merely addressing the false accusations posted on this board in a "head to head" manner as your posts suggests.

Rouge, I am not. Nor do I profess to speak for the whole company. If I have hurt yours, or anyone elses feelings, I apologize.

Respectfully,

AO3

RDRickster,

The article that you are referring to does not claim the average salary to be $100,000. It does, however refer to that of a chief pilot in the GOM. I did not write the article and I honestly don't know what kind of prosperity the Gulf offers.

Look a little closer, and you will see my response to Alljeep.

Respectfully,

AO3

A03,

I have never been to SSH facilities.  Possibly I submitted a Resume in the fall of 2001, but I had nine job offers from those resumes in areas of the country I prefered over Vegas.  And I don't consider myself low time with over 3,000 hours.  I think you are mistaken.

Just how many pilots salaries are you using to get an "average" of $100,000 a year?  Also, don't you consider that deceptive?  I could say that Truck Drivers can make $100,000 a year because I know of one guy that does it.  But it would be deceptive to state it as an average, because it isn't.