Kiowa Divestment MILPER

What are the odds of someone with an ADSO getting released to an USAR/ARNG unit? I ask because I know the USAR was hurting for RW and FW pilots a few years ago; might be a seamless transition for those guys that want to keep a foot in with the military and keep flying.

Probably not as much as I'd hoped...

If I can derail this temporarily, what are the additional duties of a WO?

Read my guide, lots of details about that in there. It's in the bookmarked WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING thread.

• Like 1

Probably not as much as I'd hoped...

If I can derail this temporarily, what are the additional duties of a WO?

Fun! We get to make a list of the stuff that isn't in the shiny brochures!

Trash Can Consolidation/Maintenance Officer ('Empty MY TRASH WOJG!!!!')

Armament Officer

NVG Officer

Fridge/Snack Officer

Publications Officer

AMSO (track)

NBC(old-school)/CBRNE Officer

Refreshment resupply (Beer 'Getter') Officer

R.U.B.(Run-Up B!ch)/Sand-Bag for Maintenance Officer during functional test flights etc

ALSO Officer (survival gear dude/dudette)

Script Reader during gunnery field problems

Verbal Punching Bag, just kidding...sort of

Safety Officer (ugh....) (track)

Fodder for the IP's during their checkrides... They give you an oral eval and/or flight eval while they're getting evaluated.

COMSEC officer

HAZMAT/HAZCOM Officer

Voting Officer

Convoy Officer

Supply Officer (UGH!)

FOD Officer

Hearing Conservation Officer

Physical Security Officer

Range OIC (set up and run weapons qual)

They are really not all that bad. It does round you out and give you an appreciation of the fact that you are just one tiny,tiny cog in a big machine.

Stay humble, you aren't that important-no matter how high in the food chain you get. Many sadly lose sight of that.

I am sure others can chime in with more.

• Like 4

Forgot Fire Marshal and Utility Officer. Had both of those when I was a WOJG.

I remember sitting at my desk at my first duty station working on my additional duties like a diligent WOJG does. My buddy was sitting across from me working on his as well. I looked out in the flight line at all the aircraft sitting there and thinking about how yet again we weren't on the flight schedule. I looked at him and said "is this what you thought you'd be doing when you signed up?" He said "nope." He did his 6 and got out.

You'll get used to all the non flying BS. The longer you stay in, the easier it is to deal with. It also motivates you to track so you can say bye bye to all those additional duties.

• Like 2

At my last company I had 4 or so duties. At my new company I an the NEO officer, and that is it. I fill in for the battalion ALSO when needed. And I am flying 8 of the next 11 days in a row.

• Like 3

Don't forget commo, EO, SHARP, UMO, IMO, and MRT Trainer!

In my opinion, the absolute worst additional duty is supply -- and I've never been a supply officer... yet. ::knock on wood::

Wtf does a NVG and FOD officer do?

NVG guy keeps track of all the goggles. Ensures that they're in a secure area, have all their pieces, all gripes are addressed, all scheduled maintenance is done, class given on their operation.

FOD guy ensures number of FOD boxes are sufficient on the flight line, empties boxes at the appropriate time, addresses any issues with excess FOD producers, schedules FOD walks, administers classes on FOD.

Fridge is pretty much mandatory for all WOJGs so you can count on that one.

It's hard to say which duties are the best. Some of them don't involve a lot of work which gives you a lot of free time but on the flip side you're not learning or growing from them. Others take up almost all your time but you learn so much that you grow beyond your peers quickly.

Things like NVGs are simple but have a large impact on your unit so how you treat your duty reflects on your worth to the organization. You want to be the guy that scrubs his equipment, inspects and replaces broken and missing stuff without having to be told about it, makes sure the services are done on time and knows to stagger them so you're never losing everything at once, organizes the closet and comes up with a good system for signing in/out, etc. You DON'T want to be the guy that waits until the e-mails start getting sent about your equipment being due, that lets everyone throw their stuff in the closet in piles, that lets caps go missing and lets goggles get stuffed back in the case without being zeroed, that has the manuals missing, that doesn't keep spare lanyards and battery trays, that takes a long time to fix issues...

Any duty you get you should be trying to improve upon. The last guy may have set you up with a great system but maybe it's not in accordance with regulation and would fail an inspection. Maybe the last guy gave you a crappy system and it's your job to figure out how to make it work and start building the foundation. Or it could really be a great program and all you need to do is learn about it so that you can keep performing on the same level.

The end state is showing your maturity and proving yourself as a good candidate for progression on the aviation side of things. It doesn't matter how well you fly if you don't handle yourself as a professional in your additional duties, because that's what you're going to be judged on.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 4