Question for CFIs

That's the silver one that's down at the factory. I looked it over pretty closely when i was there and didn't really like the build - especially when compared side by side with some other XETs in the hangar. Glad to hear that you're loving yours. I'd love to test-fly one. Probably all it would take to push me over the edge.

That's the silver one that's down at the factory. I looked it over pretty closely when i was there and didn't really like the build - especially when compared side by side with some other XETs in the hangar. Glad to hear that you're loving yours. I'd love to test-fly one. Probably all it would take to push me over the edge.

Ok that would explain it's still being on the market. Rob Mosier built mine and did a great job. He's a professional heli pilot.

That's the trouble with a single...it's a leap of faith. But I can't overstate how much I like mine. Stan feels the same way about his Helicycle. He used it to deliver a wedding ring this weekend as part of a proposal stunt.

To me the Hughes flew like a pig and the R22, while more fun, does not compare.

Yea, that black one on Barnstormers looks a lot more polished to me. One of the Mosquito guys at the fly in was familiar with it and actually flew it. Said it was top notch as builds go. Do you find the Solar turbine to be pretty consistent with starting? (consistently good).

Yea, that black one on Barnstormers looks a lot more polished to me. One of the Mosquito guys at the fly in was familiar with it and actually flew it. Said it was top notch as builds go. Do you find the Solar turbine to be pretty consistent with starting? (consistently good).

Yes and Yes.

I did exactly what they said to do and have never had a hiccup starting it. It's ready to fly long before the other pistons are still warming up...and shut down is ridiculously simple.

I LOVE this turbine! It is so awesome...I can never go back to a piston, especially one with carb heat.

I may have mentioned before…I am a lazy pilot. I like things that are simple and fun.

I can push this around by myself anywhere I want (in soft grass) to and it hauls nicely in my enclosed trailer.

However, this is a toy and not really an XC machine. It’s faster than the Hughes but slower-ish than the R22. With the aux tank (20 gallons total) you have about 2 hours max, depending…that’s without the VFR minimum remaining.

They auto well...good glide...very good!

I wish I could compare it first hand with a Helicycle...but I can't.

If you want to do a lot of XC I’d get an RV-9A.

Is there a place a guy could go to take a mosquito up for a demo?

I'd try posting on this thread...another guy (Dylan below) is asking the same question:

http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3223&posts=6

Here's the thread's opening post:

Dylan

spacer.gif Posted 5/25/2014 10:29 AM

Subject: Want to buy a mosquito but want to fly one first, any advice?

I've posted here before quite a bit before regarding my interest in buying a Mosquito XE/XEL. I ended up buying an R22 instead but would like to get an XEL/XE for less restrictive flying.

I've got the Mosquito bug again and want to get one, but I want to fly one first. I have an instructor who bought a Mini 500 years ago and have heard his stories of being excited for it but once he got it, built it and flew it it all changed because it was nothing like he expected. So I'd like to fly an XEL before buying one. However, I don't know any owners. So I'm looking for someone that would be comfortable with letting me fly their XEL. I just want to fly for 15-30 mins to get a feel for it. I have 450 hours total rotorcraft time, mostly in the R22/R44. I have about 50 hours of PIC/Solo time in the R44 and R22, but I have also flown the following types all for at least an hour: Jet Ranger, Long Ranger, UH-1B Huey, Hughes 269, AS355 TwinStar, and the R66.

For you CFIs out there - is there ever a point when training students that you don't have your hands and feet on the controls?

Yes. I have found that it to be an important step in the learning process to "let go".

Depending on individual student performance, usually around the 25 hrs I make a point, as-in I make it obvious to the student that I'm letting go. It is needed to build confidence and a building block in the process of getting a student ready to solo.

Saying that, even though I take my hands and feet away from the controls, I'm am always ready to take over, to grab - and I've gotten pretty good at grabbing the controls damn quick if needed.

I think it's a necessary step, it's not for everyone or all students.

Yes. I have found that it to be an important step in the learning process to "let go".

Depending on individual student performance, usually around the 25 hrs I make a point, as-in I make it obvious to the student that I'm letting go. It is needed to build confidence and a building block in the process of getting a student ready to solo.

Saying that, even though I take my hands and feet away from the controls, I'm am always ready to take over, to grab - and I've gotten pretty good at grabbing the controls damn quick if needed.

I think it's a necessary step, it's not for everyone or all students.

It is particularly hard to do with transitioning students due to negative transfer. FW to gyro/helis (fwd stick) and FW to trikes (push-right-go-left pedals and opposite pitch input). We call them control reversals in the trike world. It crops up at the worst possible times.

Generally speaking, instilling confidence starts at hour one. If done appropriately, the student should be solo at 25 hours……

Generally speaking, instilling confidence starts at hour one. If done appropriately, the student should be solo at 25 hours……

Indeed, should being the keyword.

Unfortunately doing things appropriately is not always enough, or even close...

I'm with Spike on this one.

I don't think getting students trained and fully prepared to solo by 25 hours is some sort of miracle. I (and my co-workers) might have had nothing but exceptionally gifted students my whole time teaching, but it was never a problem for full time students at my school. Of course, part time students take longer, but that is to be expected.

It’s a matter of perception and possibly a generational thing.

Pre-SFAR 73, lots of students were soloing before reaching 20 hours. After the implementation of the SFAR, it became burdensome for the students (customers) simply because they had to burn extra time to reach the 20 hour dual SFAR requirement for soloing. Therefore, the solo (false) goal was inopportunely reestablished by the Feds at 20 hours. As burdensome as this was, 20 hours became the new benchmark for soloing and if a student was going beyond that, issues were identified and conversations happened……..

Edited by Spike

Dang.... I soloed at 11. My check ride was my 41st hour. But that was in a 300C. I still think its unfortunate that the R22 became the standard for the training industry. Im back in one for a few hours for some training and I just chuckle every time I have to get in it, but it does the trick. It is just so completely unrealistic to anything else I have flown. 500E, 58, UH1, 300C. My message to current R22 drivers.... the good news is that it only gets better.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

Flight schools figured out they can inappropriately use the SFAR to enhance their profits and quite possibly why the Robinson products are utilized the most…..

Way-back-when, I was hired on at a large fixed-wing flight school that had a helicopter department. I was appalled to find the helicopter 141 commercial training syllabus had a 230 total hour requirement. 230 hours and no instrument!

You see, the owner of 3 of the 5 helicopters used for training, who was also the DO, wrote the syllabus. When questioned, he rationalized, the more hours a student flies the better pilot he will be. How idiotic was this? The cross-county stage required the student to fly 30 hours. That’s 10 times the 61 minimum requirement. Needless to say, he was exposed and subsequently lost his job and became a carnie….

There are tons of ways flight schools use to squeeze money out of students….. This is why it is critical to choose the right school. And, why CFI’s need to advocate for their students and not just tow the company line…..

Edited by Spike

I love my little R22. I'd fly it over a 300 or 500 any day!

How much 500 time do you have ?

I don't have any R22 time but I have more than a handful of R44 hours.

I have a goodly amount of 300 time.

The 500 is my favorite, then the 300 then the R44.

I might make the R22 my favorite if I ever fly it, but I doubt it.

How much 500 time do you have ?

I don't have any R22 time but I have more than a handful of R44 hours.

I have a goodly amount of 300 time.

The 500 is my favorite, then the 300 then the R44.

I might make the R22 my favorite if I ever fly it, but I doubt it.

Very, very, little. I just didn't think it was all that special.

Instructor ability develops over time. As an instructor you will learn to recognize in advance when a student is about to make a mistake and can instinctually reposition your hands and feet. One thing I would recommend you ALWAYS guard is the throttle. Keep one hand on the throttle at all times. The student can't see what you're hand is doing down there anyway and if you always do it they won't notice. Letting your hands and feet relax is a major advancement in student confidence. New instructors who are "heavy" on the controls have a negative effect on student learning.

Be vigilant. Be prepared to take over. But put on a facade of placidness and instruct with a calm voice. You will see a big difference in student performance.

Edited by Counterrotate

I remember my CFI did the standard ruse on my first cross country in the early 70’s. Pretend to be asleep…but actually was watching closely.