Canadian Prison Loses 3 Inmates To Daring Helicopter Escape

I just wanted to get the discussion started.

I'll get a link to the story shortly.

I know Flying Pig is dying to comment.

I think it's only considerate to get him the earliest possible opportunity !

edit F

Edited by aeroscout

I flew with Fred a few years after his hijacking experience in 1990. The Jet Ranger took fire but was still able to fly away. Fred realized that the hijacker and escapees might kill him when he landed so he negotiated with them. He made it clear that it was in his power to kill them all. He convinced them he was serious enough that they agreed to tie him up and disable the radio when they landed so they would have a head start. Fred was found 4 hours later tied up by the helicopter. The prisoners were found 2 days later because their campfire smoke attracted attention.

June 19 1990 Kent Penitentiary, British Columbia 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 50px-Symbol_helicopter.svg.png Robert Ford
David Thomas Two prisoners, Robert Ford and David Thomas, escape when a hijacked helicopter lands in the courtyard. Captured by RCMP at Harrison Lake two days later. Correctional Officer R. KIRBY was shot during the incident and survived. The pilot, Fred Fandrich of Valley Helicopters, was not injured. Bell 206 helicopter was damaged by gunfire from prison guards.

Maybe we should try the same thing with our Marine whom Mexico has imprisoned.

The only way he's getting out is to convert to Islam...

Found this amazing story of a foiled helicopter prison break. In the end the killer was the Mini 500 experimental.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/06/hey_quebec_heres_how_one_st_louis_pilot_stopped_a_helicopter_prison_break.php