Pinning/tacking @ WOCS

How does the wocs grad go down as far as pinning/tacking on WO1? Does it have to be a military person? Can my wife or kids pin me? Is there a first salute type thing? Would that be the same person?

Rookie questions I know.

How does the wocs grad go down as far as pinning/tacking on WO1? Does it have to be a military person? Can my wife or kids pin me? Is there a first salute type thing? Would that be the same person?

Rookie questions I know.

Can't remember WOCS but pretty sure anyone. I had the 1st WOC CW4 do mine. Wings I know anyone can do those.

The first salute when I was there was the SGM on the stage. That didn't count as your 50 cent piece, silver dollar or whatever they're using these days. That came later after you left the museum.

• Like 1

Jeez Lindsey, BLUF much?

Anyone can pin on your shoulder boards at wocs graduation. I have my kids do it with my wife's help.

The first salute is done to the 1st sgt of the company unless you have someone pinning your boards on who want to salute you before you get to the 1st sgt.

• Like 1

Do WO's do the thing with the coin?

Like Yamer said, you'll get a silver dollar that you use to salute the 1SG immediately after getting pinned, so he (and therefore WOCS) gets their silver dollars back. But at least you don't have to go buy one, unless you really want to I guess.

• Like 1

Counter-insurgency? Coin? What's that all about?

Sorry. I was kidding there.

Yeah it's a tradition to give a silver dollar to the first enlisted person who salutes you after graduation. Don't remember giving one to the 1SG on stage. Maybe I did, but we still bought silver dollars to give out to our first real salute. When I graduated there were enlisted swarming around the barracks after graduation looking for first salutes. That's when I gave out my official silver dollar. Some Sgt was walking by when I was going back to get some gear from my room.

You also have a "nickel ride" after your first flight.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have been searching for the answers, but I still need help answering these questions.

I am going to flight training, coming from MP Branch. What Regimental Affiliation do I wear on the ASU, and what Branch would I wear?

I assume that it would be the Aviation Branch, but I don't want to be wrong.

I ask this, because, I know that I haven't completed flight school, but I know I will be assigned to HHC there at Rucker.

Thanks for the help

The "silver dollar salute" was easy for me, my father was a career NCO. That honor meant a lot to us both, but it would have been deeply meaningful with many other soldiers I served with in my brief time in the Army.

If I had the opportunity to do it again, I would select the coin more carefully. It's not "just a buck", there is tradition there as well.