Just selected airframe

It's been a while since I leave been on this site. Figured I would update people. I was the most recent class to select. I " selected" 64s. Hit me up with questions while I'm still on the site!

Y'all were the group with only 64s?

• Like 1

I'm going to go in with a positive attitude. I was hopeful for 60's. I enjoyed Instruments I guess I will have to wait for an E model transition. Little rumor is there holding 64 guys soon and starting and E course

I looked at the LT. Next to me.. I said if you skip that FW you'll regret it. He said but I don't like Fort bliss... I just put my face in my hands

We were told the Echo model course will be starting up mid-Jan and you will be able to pick between 64Ds and 64Es. Of course this was from B Co so we all know how that is.

• Like 1

I've heard FW are hard to get, but what is so good about them?

Nothing. It's great if you want additional ratings, but the promotion rates for FW at the upper echelons (CW4, CW5) is beyond dismal. If you're interested in fixed-wing, it's a good program, but it's not for me.

They are also coming out with a program called "Fixed Wing for Life" where fixed-wing will be available at selection and you won't do any helicopter training beyond that. You'll go straight from BWS to FW. Cantankerously could speak more on that if he sees this (if you're interested I can have him reply), he's really interested in the program and has been talking with the people who have been putting the program together.

I have plenty of friends in FW and there is an equal amount that love it and hate it. It honestly sounds like a boring job, might as we'll be an airline pilot.

You'll deploy to many places, then cruise for 8 hours at 10,000+ feet. I'll pass on that.

• Like 1

It doesn't really interest me but I personally know one guy that was really excited to go FW, and as a helicopter pilot in very confused over his excitement.

Hahaha that's how I feel about it. Nothing about cruising at 20,000+ feet excites me.

• Like 1

My state is transitioning to having FW be a track as well as 72's... In addition to MTP IP and whatever else...

For the NG guys.

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted buddy, I think you'll like the apache in the end. Good idea to keep an open mind.

I've been enjoying the stresses of flight school vicariously through you AD folk... My fate is made up already.

• Like 2

About 5 LTs passed up a FW because the first duty assignment was ft bliss

Bad decision. They could easily rack up 1500 hours in 3 years while getting qualified on the C-12, Dash 7, and Dash 8. Instead they are going to go to a rotary unit and fight to make minimums annually. Really shows how much they thought about the future of AVN over the next decade or so, specifically as an RLO.

• Like 2