Just selected airframe

Since I did the FW transition from the UH-60 I'll throw my 2 cents in. I'm currently deployed with a C-12 VIP unit.

Positives of FW: Better quality of life (lodging, TDY, you mostly get left alone from higher), ability to plan own missions while deployed (VIP) you can fly 6-8 hours in 125 degree heat and not feel like you were beat down, the A/C works great. The community is more relaxed and we fly 60-100 hours a month while deployed. FW MEL rating and ATP if you desire.

Negatives: Promotion potential, once you get to cruise alt. (22-27K) you just hang out and read the paper, you cant take off from taxi ways, you can't land where you want, the missions are not exciting (no hoist, assault, dust landings, slings, bambi bucket).

Overall I'm glad I went FW but since I'm guard I might not stay FW when I'm done with deployement. The FW MTOE transition in the guard is really going to shake things up so it might change the FW realm quite a bit.

• Like 2

Since now I have done both assault/pax/cargo mission and the SWT/gun mission (garrison) I will say this. Both are fun, and challenging in their own way.

We fly awesome machines in the Army. Be happy with what you have, and become a professional in its employment.

Edited by akscott60
  • Like 4

Bad decision. They could easily rack up 1500 hours in 3 years while getting qualified on the C-12, Dash 7, and Dash 8. Instead they are going to go to a rotary unit and fight to make minimums annually. Really shows how much they thought about the future of AVN over the next decade or so, specifically as an RLO.

EXACTLY!

Multiple broken hearts. 1x 47 2x 60 14x 64

Those numbers were WO. Don't get me started on our LTs. About 5 LTs passed up a FW because the first duty assignment was ft bliss

A lot of what I've been reading implies that this is going to be the trend for AD in the coming years. Especially with big Army wanting to transition the 64s to Active and the 60s to NG units. Has anybody heard anything different?

I've been enjoying the stresses of flight school vicariously through you AD folk... My fate is made up already.

So, the ARNG and USAR folks sit back and watch everyone else compete for top rankings on the OML in order to have a more determining hand in their aircraft selection? Glad I'm going USAR. Seems like it'll relieve some stress there.

Edited by Marine4WOFT
  • Like 3

It's been a while since I leave been on this site. Figured I would update people. I was the most recent class to select. I " selected" 64s. Hit me up with questions while I'm still on the site!

do you get to pick your location at the same time or is that at the end of aircraft training?

• Like 1

Since now I have done both assault/pax/cargo mission and the SWT/gun mission I will say this. Both are fun, and challenging in their own way.

We fly awesome machines in the Army. Be happy with what you have, and become a professional in its employment.

You never did the SWT/gun mission. Taking the Cobra transition to white route doesn't count. :)

A lot of what I've been reading implies that this is going to be the trend for AD in the coming years. Especially with big Army wanting to transition the 64s to Active and the 60s to NG units. Has anybody heard anything different?

Don't read into it too much, there's still a sh*t ton more 60s than 64s. The aircraft selection is just a gamble based off of current openings.

• Like 1

So, the ARNG and USAR folks sit back and watch everyone else compete for top rankings on the OML in order to have a more determining hand in their aircraft selection? Glad I'm going USAR. Seems like it'll relieve some stress there. You can keep your 300 APFT and Commandant's List. I'm good. B)

Yep pretty much... For me, guard, once I did my last board interview they asked what I wanted to fly ( my unit has both the 60 and 64).... I said 64 or bust and that's what I'm flying. No oml no worries...

Then once I get home, if the state looses it's 64s I get to come back and do the 60 course and track all over again....

Don't read into it too much, there's still a sh*t ton more 60s than 64s. The aircraft selection is just a gamble based off of current openings.

I hope you are right, I really don't feel like flying Apaches, don't get me wrong, they are great machines, but they just aren't for me. I got my heart set on the 60s.

• Like 1

I hope you are right, I really don't feel like flying Apaches, don't get me wrong, they are great machines, but they just aren't for me. I got my heart set on the 60s.

I've only seen 7 years worth of aircraft selections. Even if I am right, it's luck of the draw. As stated above, if you don't want 64s. Then you do good in flight school and be on the top of the OML.

• Like 1

So, the ARNG and USAR folks sit back and watch everyone else compete for top rankings on the OML in order to have a more determining hand in their aircraft selection? Glad I'm going USAR. Seems like it'll relieve some stress there. You can keep your 300 APFT and Commandant's List. I'm good. B)

Sounds like you already plan on trying to coast through flight school, interesting strategy. I'm glad you are going USAR as well, wouldn't want to fly with you. I get what you are trying to say, you could have said it better.

• Like 3

Let the butt hurt begin. Nobody said anything about not being technically or tactically proficient as a WO and Aviator as well as not delivering the highest level of service to our 'customers'. Depending on the mission/unit, some of which are "The Real Deal" Holyfield. Jus sayin. ;) :ph34r:

No butt hurt, this is message board, anyone that gets all worked up over a message board needs to get a life. The point I was trying to make is this: Why wouldn't you want to get a 300 on your PT test, and why wouldn't you want to be on the Commandant's List or at the top of the OML? I get it that you would know what you will be flying and where you would be stationed.

Would love to hear more about "The Real Deal" Holyfield though.

No no I agree with Dave on this. There's plenty of motivated and qualified individuals getting turned down. Why would you be so blatantly cocky about not having to try?

You chose the wrong profession if you think that attitude is going to be tolerated Regardless of NG or AD.

You have a long road ahead of you Marine4Woft.

• Like 2

Yep pretty much... For me, guard, once I did my last board interview they asked what I wanted to fly ( my unit has both the 60 and 64).... I said 64 or bust and that's what I'm flying. No oml no worries...

Then once I get home, if the state looses it's 64s I get to come back and do the 60 course and track all over again....

You're AZ ARNG?

If they told you you're getting 64s, wait until you're in the AQC. I know a two people from Arizona that got what they wanted (60s), and after BWS they were told they were by their unit that they're going 64s. Same deal happened with guys wanting 47s from another state and ending up in 60s. Not saying it's going to happen to you, but don't think you're untouchable either.

Let the butt hurt begin. Nobody said anything about not being technically or tactically proficient as a WO and Aviator as well as not delivering the highest level of service to our 'customers'. Depending on the mission/unit, some of which are "The Real Deal" Holyfield. Jus sayin. ;) :ph34r:

I hate mediocrity, even more so in this profession.

Even if you're in one of these "Real Deal Holyfield" USAR units, don't forget the magnitude of the job you're undertaking. I know it's all fun and games at Mother Rucker and that you only need to meet a certain effort threshold since you have your slice of pie already cut out for you, but when the shiz hits the fan in Bumbleflip, Iraqistan -- you better be one of the best damn aviators or else it's going to be a very, very bad day.

• Like 5

When I was there the popular saying for guys at the bottom was "my wings are the same as yours." Yeah, maybe they are but I worked my a$$ off to maintain a 300 PFT and graduate an honor grad. I wasn't out drinking every weekend in PC and then going in on Monday and making mediocre grades. While the bottom of the class was being forced into an aircraft they didn't want, I was selecting not only my aircraft but duty station. Hardwork sometimes pays off.

If you have a mediocre work ethic in flight school, it's going to extend beyond there into your performance at your unit. Don't care if you're AD, AR or NG. You should be striving to be the best.

Not directing my comments to you Marine4WOFT, just to those who slide by while they're at Rucker and somehow find a way to graduate.

• Like 3