Maximum Glide Configuration

I'm definitely not a heavy hitter in this thread at my low experience level, but I was taught, and I teach my students, that if you need to configure to stretch your glide, you need to be reconfigured for a regular auto before you get below 100' AGL. If you can't do that and still get to your spot, you are better off with the "good auto/bad spot" scenario than ending up at your "good spot" without enough energy to cushion your landing or control your aircraft. I remember when John Maglica put an Ontario PD 500 down in a street next to the airport. He's lucky to be alive after stretching his glide too far to clear some wires. Retreating blade stall due to high airspeed and low RRPM caused the ship to roll over just before touchdown, very similar to the scenario Mike described. He broke his back, and fortunately a Good Samaritan pulled him and his mechanic (it was an MTF) from the wreckage before it was consumed by flames.