November 2014 WOFT Board

Hate to burst your bubble but it will be longer than that. After the board convenes we have to wait two weeks for the milper message to be published to see who got selected. The board convenes on the 21st, so we probably won't know until the end of the month.

Usually civilian applicants find out the week of the board, I believe. Basing that off what was posted on previous selection board topics.

This is my first post. I felt this was as good a time as any. I am a civilian applicant. I have completed all of my testing (ASVAB and SIFT) and physicals (MEPS and Phase 1 and 2 of the Flight Physical). I have not heard from my recruiter in almost 3 weeks now. Last word was that my packet was to be sent to Battalion for review for errors and that my Battalion review board would be set for November, but no date was given. When you all keep mentioning November 17th, are you talking about the interview board or the Fort Rucker final selection? I would think it would be the final selection by Fort Rucker so should I be worried that I have not heard anything back about my Battalion interview board yet? I hope I have everything correct as far as what is supposed to happen from this point.

My Stats:

SIFT: 70

APFT: 270

GT: I took this awhile ago and don't remember. My recruiter told me it wasn't bad.

Prior Service:

5 Years Active Duty US Navy

4 West-Pac Deployments during both OEF and OIF

I passed E5 but never took the advancement since I opted to honorably discharge instead.

Flight Experience:

42 Aviation Specific College Credit Hours

96.9 Fixed Wing Flight Hours Logged

Recreational Pilot License

Waivers: None

Education:

AA in Business Administration 3.7 GPA Cum Laude

BBA in Accounting 3.5 GPA

Current 3.4 GPA with 42 Credit Hours towards my AS in Aviation Technology

Honors Aviation Student

Two Back to Back Academic Aviation Scholarships

Deans List

Currently: Married father of two studying for my CPA exam, currently employed as an accountant.

My only negatives would be that I have 17 traffic violations ranging from non moving violations like seat belt violations and equipment charges to speeding. None of these were fines over $250 which would require a waiver. I currently have 0 points on my license as I have received no charges within the past 3 years.

I also have 1 disorderly conduct from 2007 that was granted expungement one year later due to no other criminal record.

Thank you all for any help or guidance in what I should be doing right now. I trust my recruiter, I just feel like I have been left in the dark here lately.

November 17th refers to the USAREC board held at Fort Knox(not rucker). It is the actual selection board. Battalion board is something your recruiter will have to schedule for you. With 11 days until the board convenes I dont see it happening for you unless a miracle comes through. We all run into hiccups, its part of the process. Make sure everything else is on point (essays, LOR's) to make them look past the traffic violations. And definitely check into needing a waiver for the disorderly conduct charge. Expungement means nothing and the army will see the charges.

I had that disorderly charge cleared before I even started my package so I have no doubts on that end. By cleared I mean approved by my recruiter sending it up for review. I had to go to the courthouse and pull all of my hard copies and make copies to submit. I forgot to mention that my essay is done, and I have my LOR's complete.

LOR's:

CW4 US Army Retired Pilot Vietnam Vet Bronze Star

LtCOL US Army Active Duty Current CO of a Munitions Base

Flight School Manager

Former Accounting Manager

I had a feeling the November 17th date was for overall selection. So it appears my Battalion board (interview) will be in November and I will more than likely be up for the selection board in January assuming my Battalion board goes well. Is that correct? My 33rd birthday is at the end of this month. That is also something I am thinking about. Thanks again for the input.

Ok just wanted to make sure. It would suck for you to get so far into it and then have that be a holdup. The only other thing I can think of would be age, since 33 is the cutoff and I believe you have to enlist or ship prior to your 33rd birthday. Are they deducting years due to your naval service? Assuming battalion board goes well, they will then send everything up to USAREC for the next scheduled board.

I think you may be right on the age waiver from what I saw from the WOFT website below.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml

Regarding the 17 traffic violations (none of which were a fine above $250), all consisted of equipment type charges "tail lights out", seat belt violations, and speeding "less than 10mph over" with the exception of two, and 1 disorderly conduct charge.

I re-read the moral waiver requirement details and neither traffic or criminal charges appear to need a waiver. My one disorderly conduct charge is a stand alone misdemeanor charge that is not combined with any other criminal charge (since I have no other criminal charges), and is not combined with any other traffic charge (since I have none with a fine above $250). As it stands it all appears that the age waiver is the only waiver I would be looking at if I don't obtain a battalion board prior to the November 17th selection board. Does this look correct from what anyone else has observed regarding waiver details? Thank you again for your input and help getting loose ends tied up on my packet. It is very much appreciated.

I would say it appears correct. However, dont take my word as gospel. If they have cleared you at the recruiting station then keep pressing forward. This process is something you really have to cross your T's and dot your I's along the way, most of it on your own. From what I have read, the cutoff for civilian packets is 10 days before the board. Chances of making the board for the 17th are very very slim in my opinion. I personally had my battalion board moved three times before it was set in stone because there are not alot of applicants lately.

From the little research I did on traffic tickets, the sheer number of them wouldn't come into play in terms of enlistment, but would as far as the security clearance goes. You already went through your interview for a security clearance correct? Asking because they forgot to do mine at my MEPS physical and I had to go back not too long ago.

Ok well I apologize for posting in the November selection board thread. My recruiter just got back to me. He said yes I was correct, no age adjustment permitted for WOFT, but that an age waiver will not be an issue for me. Battalion got back to him and said that my waiver will not have any trouble getting passed and he told me to not worry about the age issue. I asked him when my battalion board would be scheduled and he said for sure before Christmas. He said that I will be up for the January selection board for sure. He told me if you get approved at the battalion board you are 90% likely to be selected. He said that battalion told him WOFT is in high demand right now and from the looks of my packet I should have no worries. I hope so. Thank you all again for your help and guidance. Sorry for clogging up the November thread. I will move over to the January thread now. Thanks!

First off, nothing is ever, ever "for sure" when you're dealing with WOFT, particularly street-to-seat. You are competitive, but you are placing entirely too much stock in what your recruiter is telling you. I'm telling you, as well as others on this board (i.e. those who have gone through the process), that your recruiter does not know as much as he thinks he knows. For example, the line about being 90% likely to get selected if approved at the battalion board is exactly 100% bullshit. Read around these here parts and you'll be able to dig up real statistics. Your packet will not even go to the USAREC WOFT board if it isn't approved at the battalion level, and I can assure you the selection rate is nowhere near 90%. Last I read it was around 50% and fluctuates wildly. The Army is drawing down, and WOFT is not in high demand. Well qualified, good folks are being turned down every board (including those with zero traffic violations).

I'm not trying to doom-and-gloom you, but this is the reality. Relax your expectations. Focus on continuing to improve your packet while you wait for your Battalion Board, and keep pushing for one to be scheduled. Never take their word on anything. Trust but verify.

• Like 4

Pipedream,

I'll reiterate. A 90% success rate after your battalion board would indeed be a pipedream. WOFT being in high demand right now would be yet another pipedream. Your recruiter giving accurate and timely information would be yet another pipedream. Getting accepted right now with one or more waivers is nearing a pipedream.

Neither I nor anyone else is looking to crush a dream. We truly want good applicants to be accepted and that is why people post here. I want the best students sitting across from me in the briefing room because I will be flying with them and then I will be sending them out to my friends to be their new co-pilots.

But I for one will encourage a realistic attitude. I encourage you to put forth your best effort and give it your all. If you are the best, I want you to get selected. But I would caution you to not look at this process as a sure thing.

• Like 4

Well I can say today starts arguably the most interesting two weeks of my life. Slight vent/rant here but it's hard to discuss my point of view with family since they are very white collar oriented. WTFoski is probably tired of hearing it too, in between our counting down until the board. Basically, my current employer has put me in for a very high profile job. Enough so that they are flying me out next week to sit down with the head of international private banking and his four direct reports to discuss. Point of contention being I've made it known that this would strictly be a fall back plan to WOFT with those in my life, minus my employer so I don't jeopardize my job. Been called crazy about 100 times this week. I'm praying to be selected. But as it was said above, nothing is guaranteed with this process which is why I am even entertaining this opportunity. So there is that next week, the board starting the 17th, and the last details of this position being finalized by the 21st. However, the role within my company wouldn't begin until June. Needless to say, action packed two weeks coming up.

And flying Guard is definitely out. Wouldn't have the time and if I get selected to fly I want to commit to it 100%. Just putting this out there in case any current aviators were in a similar situation and may have some insight. If I don't get selected all of this is a moot point anyway.

• Like 1

Well I can say today starts arguably the most interesting two weeks of my life. Slight vent/rant here but it's hard to discuss my point of view with family since they are very white collar oriented. WTFoski is probably tired of hearing it too, in between our counting down until the board. Basically, my current employer has put me in for a very high profile job. Enough so that they are flying me out next week to sit down with the head of international private banking and his four direct reports to discuss. Point of contention being I've made it known that this would strictly be a fall back plan to WOFT with those in my life, minus my employer so I don't jeopardize my job. Been called crazy about 100 times this week. I'm praying to be selected. But as it was said above, nothing is guaranteed with this process which is why I am even entertaining this opportunity. So there is that next week, the board starting the 17th, and the last details of this position being finalized by the 21st. However, the role within my company wouldn't begin until June. Needless to say, action packed two weeks coming up.

And flying Guard is definitely out. Wouldn't have the time and if I get selected to fly I want to commit to it 100%. Just putting this out there in case any current aviators were in a similar situation and may have some insight. If I don't get selected all of this is a moot point anyway.

Ha. I'll never get tired of you venting, as long as you don't get tired of mine. B) There's not a damn thing wrong with a back up plan though. I'll always be a strong believer in whats meant to be will be.