Question about laser eye surgery and requirements

Hello all,

I cannot seem to find an exact answer to my question so I am hoping one of you can help. I have heard that after having laser eye surgery, you are required to wait 1 full year before applying, is this true? Also, my vision is currently 35/20 so would I have to have surgery to meet the requirements to get into the program or would 35/20 that is correctable to 20/20 with glasses work? Thanks in advance guys

To my knowledge this is still what is used to approve Surgery. I had LASIK before entering and I don't remember how long I ended up waiting, but this should answer your questions. The surgery specific stuff starts at Pg. 8..... If someone knows this to be out dated or no longer in use, please correct me.

http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/offices/Ophthalmology/docs/2010/Army%20Aviation%20Refractive%20Surgery%20Policy.pdf

To my knowledge this is still what is used to approve Surgery. I had LASIK before entering and I don't remember how long I ended up waiting, but this should answer your questions. The surgery specific stuff starts at Pg. 8..... If someone knows this to be out dated or no longer in use, please correct me.

http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/offices/Ophthalmology/docs/2010/Army%20Aviation%20Refractive%20Surgery%20Policy.pdf

Thank you, it says you have to wait 3 months which isnt too bad. Still wondering if anyone knows if 35/20 uncorrected is good enough to enter the program without having eye surgery?

Thank you, it says you have to wait 3 months which isnt too bad. Still wondering if anyone knows if 35/20 uncorrected is good enough to enter the program without having eye surgery?

Read this thread

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/12021-military-flight-vision-restrictions/

4–12. Vision

The causes of medical unfitness for flying duty Classes 1/2/2F/3/4 are the following:

a. Class 1. Any disqualifying condition must be referred to optometry or ophthalmology for verification.

(1) Distant visual acuity. Uncorrected distant visual acuity worse than 20/50 in each eye. If the distant visual acuity

is 20/50 or better in either eye, each eye must be correctable to 20/20 with no more than 1 error per 5 presentations of

20/20 letters, in any combination, on either the Armed Forces Vision Tester (AFVT) or any projected Snellen chart set

at 20 feet. (See ATB, Distant Visual Acuity Testing and APL, Decreased Visual Acuity.)

(2) Near visual acuity. Uncorrected near visual acuity worse than 20/20 in each eye; with no more than 1 error per 5

AR 40–501 • 14 December 2007

presentations of 20/20 letters, in any combination, on the AFVT or any Snellen near visual acuity card. (See ATB,

Near Visual Acuity Testing and APL, Decreased Visual Acuity.)

• Like 2