Headset or Helicopter?

eagle5

I have an ANR Zulu, not the newest one, but the previous model. Last flight in the 22 every time I leaned forward I got a loud buzz in the left earcup. Is it a problem with my headset or the helicopter? Any thoughts?

Generally this is an ear seal problem in an ANR headset. Try adjusting the headset on your head. If necessary, try reversing the headset. If you have hair (including facial hair) that might interfere with the seal, your solution is to get the hair out of the way. If you find that leaning or turning your head causes the noise, it's an ear seal problem. Sometimes you can solve it with softer seals, or simply replacing the earseals.

If you bought the headset new, consider sending it back, if you can't fix it yourself with positioning or new seals.

• Like 1

I don't think a "loud buzz" is the result of cup-seal. Sounds like a grounding problem in the intercom circuit or perhaps the connector on the headset. First, I'd move the jack over to the socket on the other side. If it still does it - I'd suspect the headset.

Ear seal issues are more of an audible thumping sound. Not a buzz. I concour with Tradford. I fly the zulu 2 and found that large or thick ear bars on sport style sunglasses are a bad mix.

R22's are used and abused daily, especially in trainers. Headset jacks get pretty worn out over time and can cause a nasty buzz. However, headset wiring can get pinched too.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

I have a bose X headset that I've used all over the globe. It's been through several ear seals. The first time the headset began buzzing, I suspected an earcup was going out. I happened by the bose booth at Sun n Fun, and described the problem. The representative behind the desk immediately identified it as the ear seals. He handed me a new pair and said "try these."

Sure enough, they immediately worked.

I've experienced the same thing in several ANR headsets, each time with poor sealing at the ear seal.

A buzz not related to a seal can be electrical interference from somewhere in the aircraft; if you're flying with a cell phone on, it's common to be able to hear it as a buzz in the headset .

Does the sound change with engine power settings, rotor speed, or application of electrical power (turning on an alternator?). A change in the sound with beacon, lights, or other electrical?

I don't know if this matters but the buzz first happened while I was on the ground when I leaned forward to set the altimeter during runup. It only happened when I leaned forward and didn't change with any electrical application. The radio did seem more staticy throughout the flight though. It'll be a couple of weeks till I fly again, hopefully I can fly the other 22 for comparison?

• 3 weeks later...

I know my zulus were acting real funky in a R44 last week. I plugged them in and they immediately started making a tone and I didnt have it on, or the radios was on. (Master was on at the time) Played around a bit and it still made noise with the master off but i plugged them back in after plugging and unplugging multiple times and everything was fine...

• 1 year later...

It's your headset. I had a Zulu with 2000 hours and it took about 300+ hours to break the ear seals in so it wouldn't do just that, buzz when I lean forward or turn my head. I have a sharp jaw line and it doesn't mix with the ANR.

I use a Bose A20 now and it's never done that.

I have also used the newer Zulu 2 and Zulu pxd or whatever it's called. The newest Zulu is the worst I've used, but all of the Zulus buzz for me until the seal breaks in.

I've used the Zulus in R22, R44 doors on and off and many airplanes with the same results. Just try a different, non-Zulu, headset and see how it goes.