BCT Advice: Don't touch the mirrors!

Welcome to the post-war Army man. They'd rather do a statement of charges rather than a FLIPL half the time. Last summer we had an NCO bump into a tree with a 1151. Broke the housing for the TC side mirror on the truck... and he was charged for it.

Welcome to the post-war Army man. They'd rather do a statement of charges rather than a FLIPL half the time. Last summer we had an NCO bump into a tree with a 1151. Broke the housing for the TC side mirror on the truck... and he was charged for it.

And yet we have crew chiefs stepping where is says no step, over tightening bolts/screws, messing up million dollar engines, and stressing multi million dollar aircraft...

... and a BN SP who takes off without doing a preflight and leaves a cowling unlatched which then flips up into the main rotors (damaging all 4 rotors) causing over $100,000 in damage...and he gets to walk away without paying for any of it or facing an FEB....

... and a BN SP who takes off without doing a preflight and leaves a cowling unlatched which then flips up into the main rotors (damaging all 4 rotors) causing over $100,000 in damage...and he gets to walk away without paying for any of it or facing an FEB....

and we all know what would happen if joe blow untracked PC did that....
  • Like 1

Why the hell did he fail to preflight the aircraft? All I've got are 25 measly hours in a Piper and even I know that's a huge no-no.

Why the hell did he fail to preflight the aircraft? All I've got are 25 measly hours in a Piper and even I know that's a huge no-no.

Because some people in the army get promoted above their level of competence based on their ability to suck their boss's ass. This particular clown had wrecked aircraft before by being an idiot and managed to improve his career by moving to another battalion (mine) before he trashed one of our aircraft. He was in a hurry to go flying after showing up late, trusted the incompetent PI's preflight, didn't check the cowling latches or anything else and suffered a Class C mishap.

Just knowing your 5 and 9 doesn't cut it. Maintain an intellectual curiosity and mental discipline every time you fly during your whole career or take your weak sh*t back from whence you came. Rant complete.

• Like 1

You know, con... like con man?

Saying it's the long con means you're taking the long way with a big payoff.

Yea, it was my only option with my state's guard. They only allow enlisted and commissioned to apply for WOFT, no S2Ser's.

I graduated from Eustis as a 15B in May. Just remember to keep your eyes on the prize and that eventually the suck gets somewhat better after you phase up. If you are a tango that will put you at Charlie company so at least you get one of the newer buildings next to the DFAC.

And yet we have crew chiefs stepping where is says no step, over tightening bolts/screws, messing up million dollar engines, and stressing multi million dollar aircraft...

I'd venture to say more pilots have broken aircraft then crew chief. I appreciate what those dudes do and they are usually pretty solid.

I'd venture to say more pilots have broken aircraft then crew chief. I appreciate what those dudes do and they are usually pretty solid.

I'd be willing to say it's probably pretty equal on who breaks more. I'm from the backshops (sheet metal) and the majority of our work comes from the crew guys dropping wrenches, over tightening, and tweaking stuff to far. I am by no means talking bad about those guys, it takes everyone to make our ships fly. I was just adding into the fact that being charged for a mirror is outrageous considering all the other crap that happens.