Your Not a CFI, So I Don't Have to Worry About You Leaving to Go Teach Somewhere!

r22butters

I have been waiting 8 1/2 years for someone to acknowledge that one "pro" about not being a CFI,...and someone finally did, last week during an interview. :o

,...put a big smile on my face! :)

Still didn't get the job, but at least the hour in the R-44 will help offset the cost of hotel and gas.

- butters

:blink:

No offense to anyone intended but if they are concerned that you would leave an R-44 job to go teach somewhere, presumably in an R-22, that job already sucks and you don't want it.

Yeah,...

I did

Reason number 6,324 why I don't want to be a CFI = I already had years on the street with someone trying to kill me, why would I want to put that person in the seat next to me and also provide the means, opportunity and most probably motive to kill me.

Which leads me to the next reason, said to me by an instructor many years ago: "you should never instruct in a helicopter" Me: Why? him: because when your not trying to kill me, you fly awesome. But your way too much of an a**hole based on your career choice, and you have no ability to bullshit people and be empathetic if they suck, people need to see a silver lining, you'd tell them to get out of the helicopter and take up knitting or something. Like I said, You're an a**hole and assholes make bad teachers" Me: Well, you know what they say about those who can't do - Teach. Him: See....a**hole, funny, but still an a**hole.

Edited by aussiecop
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Given the sheer volume of people who are capable of being CFIs and who go that route, I just don't see any avenue into this industry on the civilian side without it. Now toss in the military pilots who are getting out long before they planned on it. I had about 1300hrs turbine and was working as a pilot by the time when I finally got my CFI and I decided to foot the bill and do it because it just seemed like the natural progression of my career. Not because I was trying to line up a CFI job. When you are a low timer you really need all the stamps of approval you can get. Loads of CFIs on here cant find jobs as it is. If you are fine just flying a couple times a month on your own dime, then its not an issue, but it seems like you really get down and bummed when you don't get a job. Your posts come across like you are just forcing yourself to accept that you'll never do this for a living with how often you seem to talk about not being able to find job.

Crazy is always doing the same thing and expecting different results this time. Your life, your call, just stop complaining that you're doing it your way and the world won't respond.

... but it seems like you really get down and bummed when you don't get a job. Your posts come across like you are just forcing yourself to accept that you'll never do this for a living with how often you seem to talk about not being able to find job.

Its really not my intent to come accross that way. I guess I'm just not all that great with the written word? Oh' well.

Have a nice day.

- butters

:)

During my time as a CFI, not only were we given brand new students, we were expected to provide the same level of service as experienced CFI’s……. Maybe that’s why the company I worked for was so successful……. Moreover, some of the student body had little command of the English language. In fact, I had one ab-initio student who didn’t speak a lick of English….. And no, I didn’t speak his lingo either…. When I asked, how do I accomplish this; the boss said “figure it out”, which I did………

Any CFI hired should be expected to handle any student. In short, there is no “limitation” to a CFI certificate and an employer should trust in that fact. If not, that particular CFI shouldn’t be hired because there pliantly of them out there that CAN do the (entire) job from day one. "Trust" being the operative word....

Edited by Spike

In my experience, new cfi's got the intro flights. There weren't other students. Current students were welcome to try the new guy if they wanted. Other then that, the new students went to the new cfi for the most part based on the fact that current cfi's allready had a full workload which is why they hired someone new.

The school did however want some instruction time before the new cfi started teaching autos. There wasn't any set number of hours though. It was just when it was time to start teaching autos to the 1st student ready, the cp went on a ride with the new cfi 1st to make sure everything was good.

That's just 1 person's experience.

• 2 years later...

Maximize your qualifications while looking for work.

If you can afford to keep flying why would you not add a CFI rating?

Even if you never plan on using it, it shows that you have an in depth knowledge of helicopters and how they work. And it shows drive dang it!

It could, just maybe, help you get that non CFI job.

Just saying....

The threads people dig up,...damn!

Lets see, October of 14, this has to be the interview I had with Jetboy down in Van Nuys.

Man that's a messy airport! We must have sat there in a hover for at least ten minutes before they let us go,...and the departure procedure,...yikes! I remember him trying to draw it out on a piece of paper while I stared back like a deer in the headlights,...thinking to myself, "and I thought the procedure out of Long Beach was a bitch?!"

Funny you should bring this topic back now. I was just down there like a month ago for another interview (this time with Lite Flight),...f*ckn'aye!

Oh' yeah almost forgot,...

Happy birthday Abe and George! :D

Don't have to scroll very far down to find years old posts. Wish there was more going on here.

I'm currently underemployed and get bored as some of the drearier winter days....

You wanna talk about underemployed? That job I interviewed for last month paid nothing for the first three months, then $300-$500 a month afterwards!

Fortunately some other "lucky" pilot was chosen!?,...ha! :D