Lakota Timeline

Not sure if someone else has mentioned the timeline in another forum, but I will bring this one back to life if anyone is still curious. It looks like the first Lakota course is scheduled for 10DEC and then every 4th class after that... So the 2 in January and the 1st in February are 67s, then the 2nd in Feb is a Lakota course... And it continues: 3 TH67 courses, 1 Lakota...

To add to that, because the Lakota is an advanced airframe, you get your wings after BWS, before you go to your advanced airframe. Once you start the Lakota primary, it sounds like you go strait through until you finish BWS (no bubbles).

To add to that, because the Lakota is an advanced airframe, you get your wings after BWS, before you go to your advanced airframe. Once you start the Lakota primary, it sounds like you go strait through until you finish BWS (no bubbles).

So they are going to do NVGs in BWS with the Lakota?

If any of you f***ers get your wings before me....

Haha!! I believe the 10Dec class finishes BWS the end of June... So, if you actually start your advanced course in the next few months, you should beat everyone to the punch.

So they are going to do NVGs in BWS with the Lakota?

Yep, everything will be in the Lakota. You won't touch a Bell airframe through any of it.

Interesting. So one IP, all three phases? Army flight training has never been that way before. Ever.

Contractors? DACs? Green Suiters?

I hadn't heard the one IP thing for all phases. I'll have to look more into that one. That one, my guess, will be more of a trial and error thing once the first group starts (10Dec)...

Same guys as now. A buddy writing the new IERW training manual said Jan will start first class.

IPs were offered a 72 transition. The ones that took it will swap over as IPs complete the transition and more aircraft come available. The ones that did not will ride out the 67 for next 2+ years as they get phased out and then retire.

I've heard the single IP thing for primary through BWS, all in the 72. The getting your wings rumor doesn't sound legit though, unless maybe you are supposed to track Lakota through NG or something. But, like mentioned, you would still have to do nights and goggles so even that doesn't sound like getting your wings to me until after advanced, however short it might be.

Same guys as now. A buddy writing the new IERW training manual said Jan will start first class.

IPs were offered a 72 transition. The ones that took it will swap over as IPs complete the transition and more aircraft come available. The ones that did not will ride out the 67 for next 2+ years as they get phased out and then retire.

Any idea of when students will be told what airframe they will be using once they report to Rucker. Makes it tough to decide what to study and start memorizing without knowing what they will be flying. Thanks for the info.

Any idea of when students will be told what airframe they will be using once they report to Rucker. Makes it tough to decide what to study and start memorizing without knowing what they will be flying. Thanks for the info.

You won't know until you get your primary date... Which is right before you start primary...

Pretty much a toss up since dates constantly change. I am right on the border of the first class and they said if we learned 67 5&9's they would put us in them. If I didnt get moved im pretty sure I had Lakota written all over me.

I've heard the single IP thing for primary through BWS, all in the 72. The getting your wings rumor doesn't sound legit though, unless maybe you are supposed to track Lakota through NG or something. But, like mentioned, you would still have to do nights and goggles so even that doesn't sound like getting your wings to me until after advanced, however short it might be.

The getting your wings in the Lakota is legit.

Back in tha day.... You recived your wings after a huey qualifiction and then rolled into your airframe or went to a huey unit.

In order to get a fixed wing qualification you are required to already be a rated aviator.

Aviation branch got tired of sending fixed wing people to the UH60 course to become a rated aviator, then send them to fixed wing. It was a waste of money and time.

So, the new system, goes back to the old flight school model, to implement the fixed wing for life program and reduce the unessary UH60 quals.

• Like 1

I was sitting on the ramp in a 72 this week with a 47 hovering near by and just the rotor wash was making the mast moment indicator move! No telling what students will do to it. A weak battery will allow the 72 to hot start too: needing a bore scope afterwards. All kinds of fun await the maintence crews at Carins AAF!

The getting your wings in the Lakota is legit.

Back in tha day.... You recived your wings after a huey qualifiction and then rolled into your airframe or went to a huey unit.

In order to get a fixed wing qualification you are required to already be a rated aviator.

Aviation branch got tired of sending fixed wing people to the UH60 course to become a rated aviator, then send them to fixed wing. It was a waste of money and time.

So, the new system, goes back to the old flight school model, to implement the fixed wing for life program and reduce the unessary UH60 quals.

Hmm, good to know. Thanks.

As of yesterday from the source.

They are planning for a 3-4 year transition into the Lakota, perhaps getting the first class started by the end of the year.

The "super IP" taking you through all phases is a real "idea." It was to be the actual plan and now maybe/maybe not. There has been a lot of push back from IPs that haven't flown anything but primary in 20 years. They are not so excited about the idea of flying in the clouds and/or low level. The end result may be that some IPs are "super IPs" and others teach just a single phase.

The first IPs to transition (some already have) are the most senior, unless of course they decline the transition. So technically, a new URS IP could be hired 2 years from now and still teach in the TH-67 for awhile before getting a transition. Ultimately, those who elect not to transition will stay on as long as they can be utilized and then either quit/retire or move into non-flying positions.

They are still unsure of how many new IPs will need to be hired because they aren't truly certain how many will refuse the transition until they are offered the transition. They may have signaled their intentions but they can change their minds until offered. However, it is fairly certain that more URS IPs will be hired over the next few years than historically.

As for new aviators getting their wings immediately after the Lakota - depends on who you talk to and both are quite certain. There are those with some pull that are very opposed to it and say "no way" while others say it is a certainty. There is a work-around so that fixed wing for life can go to the course without being a rated aviator in a helicopter.

• Like 1

I might be mistaken, but I believe the LUH-72's are all being transitioned to IERW to get students familiar with glass (PFD/MFD) cockpits as well as multi-engine with "power on" autorotations to get rid of the to-the-ground autos in the TH-67. I believe they called back all the Lakota's from the NG and Reserve for this purpose. This was at least what I had heard was the post-sequester strategy as they are phasing out the TH-67 and the OH-58 fleets. What's talked about and what actually happens are two different things though, so I may very well be wrong. Having said that, I did hear that Rucker already has a few UH-72's. So much for studying weight and balance on the TH-67... :/

I see 72s flying around fairly often, the transitions have already started. I spoke to a BWS pilot today who told me he and the majority of the IP's aren't starting transitioning until March. Since he's an FAA certified check-pilot (There's a more official title that is slipping my mind, basically he's the IP's IP) I assume he's fairly senior on the totem pole. With that said, if he and the more senior IP's aren't transitioning until March, safe guess that not many classes will be flying 72's for quite a while.

• Like 1