May 2015 WOFT Board

I know it may be still be a few months out, but might as well spool up a thread for those of us that might have missed a deadline for one reason or another and had to push back our packages a bit; or for those that are still prepping theirs.

Figured I'd go ahead and crank it out and put my info out there and see what happens.

GT: 116
SIFT: 57

APFT: Taking next week (will update accordingly)

Education: USMC SNCO Distance Education Program, Electronics Maintenance Technician Course

Waiver: Moral for a NJP over 10 years ago, AFS with extenuating circumstances

LOR: Co. Commander, BN Commander, CW4 Dustoff pilot, Col Attack Helicopter BN CMDR, CW5 former board member

Board: Didn't have one, as I am a sister service applicant.

Other info: Currently a SSgt with just under 12 years Active Duty in the Marine Corps. AFS Waiver due to the brakes being applied quite heavily twice in the past two years. Once for my medical complications with my daughter resulting in enrolling in the Exceptional Family Member Program, and then low and behold my uncorrected near vision was just outside the parameters. After waiting and waiting for Navy Medical to get around to scheduling my PRK, I said screw it and paid for it out of pocket (best money I ever spent BTW). I originally started my package just a little before Creep0321 started his, but alas, family and career stuff can put the brakes on the process as I'm sure many of you know. I decided that I wasn't going to let the setbacks deter me, I'd be remiss if I always wanted to submit a package but never did. Won't know unless you try, right?

• Like 2

You beat me to it! I second the PRK value for the money. After nearly a year and half of delays I am confident I should make this board. My original target was January of 2013.

How did you get around a battallion board? I've still got to do one as far as my recruiter is concerned. (Navy Reserve 10 years)

GT: 141

ASVAB: 99 (Thank god they didn't make me retake this)

SIFT: 74

APFT: will update in January.

Education: BS in Maritime Administration, minor in Economics. 3.2 GPA

Waiver: None

LoR: CWO4, Army Cpt, USMC Lt. Col, still working on finalizing one from my Unit CO Navy LCDR.

Board: Hope to have scheduled next week.

Flight Physical: Approved

Other Info: Navy Reserve E-6 (BM1/EXW) with solid evals. All top 20% 4 yrs TIG. Current LPO (Lead Petty Officer) of Cargo Handling Co. One Deployment, Detainee Ops Bagram Afghanistan with Flag Letter of Commendation and ARCOM.

This is the first time I've felt confident in my packets completion that I've been able to post in the board threads as a participant.

• Like 1

I know it may be still be a few months out, but might as well spool up a thread for those of us that might have missed a deadline for one reason or another and had to push back our packages a bit; or for those that are still prepping theirs.

Figured I'd go ahead and crank it out and put my info out there and see what happens.

GT: 116

SIFT: 57

APFT: Taking next week (will update accordingly)

Education: USMC SNCO Distance Education Program, Electronics Maintenance Technician Course

Waiver: Moral for a NJP over 10 years ago, AFS with extenuating circumstances

LOR: Co. Commander, BN Commander, CW4 Dustoff pilot, Col Attack Helicopter BN CMDR, CW5 former board member

Board: Didn't have one, as I am a sister service applicant.

Other info: Currently a SSgt with just under 12 years Active Duty in the Marine Corps. AFS Waiver due to the brakes being applied quite heavily twice in the past two years. Once for my medical complications with my daughter resulting in enrolling in the Exceptional Family Member Program, and then low and behold my uncorrected near vision was just outside the parameters. After waiting and waiting for Navy Medical to get around to scheduling my PRK, I said screw it and paid for it out of pocket (best money I ever spent BTW). I originally started my package just a little before Creep0321 started his, but alas, family and career stuff can put the brakes on the process as I'm sure many of you know. I decided that I wasn't going to let the setbacks deter me, I'd be remiss if I always wanted to submit a package but never did. Won't know unless you try, right?

I can't believe there is already a May topic. There's a certain rockstar in this forum that would recommend you only put 3 LORs in your packet, 4 at most. There's only a limited amount of time the individuals on the board have to look at your packet. I'm sure you are thinking the same thing I was though. Have the LORs paint the absolute best picture about your character and your work ethic, the more the better. But I would definitely take the 3 or 4 that is recommended.

How did you get around a battallion board? I've still got to do one as far as my recruiter is concerned. (Navy Reserve 10 years)

I haven't seen anything regarding me having to do a BN board, even after talking with the local recruiter, since I'm still active duty.

You beat me to it! I second the PRK value for the money. After nearly a year and half of delays I am confident I should make this board. My original target was January of 2013.

LoR: CWO4, Army Cpt, USMC Lt. Col, still working on finalizing one from my Unit CO Navy LCDR.

Other Info: Navy Reserve E-6 (BM1/EXW) with solid evals. All top 20% 4 yrs TIG. Current LPO (Lead Petty Officer) of Cargo Handling Co. One Deployment, Detainee Ops Bagram Afghanistan with Flag Letter of Commendation and ARCOM.

This is the first time I've felt confident in my packets completion that I've been able to post in the board threads as a participant.

If you are an active service applicant then you do not go through a Battalion Board. Only Street to Seaters need the Board.

and roger.

Not sure what side your going to but on the NG side we have a BN board ( for the unit you will be entering) even If your staying in your current unit, plus we do the FED REC. Along with two regular interviews with the state flight facility commander and your current unit commander.

Not really sure who this was directed at (not trying to sound hostile here by any means), but if it was fo me, I'm going Active to Active, so no BN level interview is required for me. My package will just go straight to USAREC.

BM1, unless things have changed, us Reservist types get routed through the WOFT program for selections. Therefore, the Bn. board. Never understood why. But, having 14 years military experience really helped with my board when competing against true street to seat folks. Semper Fi and good luck.
  • Like 1

If I could ensure an AGR slot, and get absolute promised that Apaches are staying in the Guard indef. then I would consider it. That future is just so uncertain...

Theres plenty of shots for AGR, Tech, ADOS, etc. plus your not just limited to flying then either. FYI not hating, just tossing that out there, I am possibly going to try transferring to AD during flight school.

Theres plenty of shots for AGR, Tech, ADOS, etc. plus your not just limited to flying then either. FYI not hating, just tossing that out there, I am possibly going to try transferring to AD during flight school.

While true, there's no denying that I miss the military as a lifestyle. If I make it to 20 years as an aviator I'll probably move to a part-time position.

• Like 1

I'd love to slot Apaches, kinda carry the family torch so to speak. My dad is (was) a retired CW5 Apache driver. Started on Cobras in the early 80's then transitioned to the 64A when they came around.

• Like 1

Got labs tomorrow for my Flight Physical, then an apt with the Flight Surgeon here at Camp Pendleton next Monday. Things are beginning to fall into place rather rapidly now.

• Like 2