May 2015 WOFT Board

Hey all,

so I'm prior enlisted but attempting to go thru the civilian side. I have gotten my appointments for 2 part flight physical, but the second part is after Apr Battalion interview but before May board. my recruiter is telling me that i don't need to have flight physical before my Battalion interview. can anyone verify this? he has been fairly knowledgeable so far i just want to hear it from someone else.

Have you guys seen the New message on the usarec website, looks like a lot of people submitted some false APFT cards to fluff up their packet. It's not surprising though. Unfortunately it happens all too often throughout the army especially for enlisted trying to obtain more promotion points.

18 FEB 15 - ATTENTION ALL APPLICANTS, DUE TO THE RECENT INCREASE OF APFT FAILURES AT WOCS, NEW MEASURES FOR THE APPLICATION WILL BE IMPLEMENTED. BEGINNING ON 1 MAR 15, ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO TAKE AN APFT 30 DAYS PRIOR OF REPORTING TO WOCS. ALL SELECTEES WILL BE REQUIRED TO BRING A MEMORANDUM FROM THEIR BDE/BN S3 STIPULATING THE SM HAS PASSED THE APFT AND HT/WT WITHIN THE 30 DAY WINDOW OF REPORTING TO WOCS. ADDITIONALLY, THERE HAVE BEEN UPDATES MADE TO THE DA FORM 61 AND STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING TO REFLECT THESE NEW MEASURES. ALL APPLICANTS APPLYING FOR THE MAY BOARD WHO SUBMIT THEIR PACKET AFTER 1 MARCH WILL BE REQUIRED TO USE THE UPDATED FORMS. APPLICANTS WHO WILL SUBMIT THEIR APPLICATION PRIOR TO 1 MAR AND THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED THEIR APPLICATION WILL BE GRANDFATHERED.

This kinda crazy to me, do they still use students as graders? I remember we only had a handful of APFT failures maby 3 or 4 in a class that was 90 +.

Have you guys seen the New message on the usarec website, looks like a lot of people submitted some false APFT cards to fluff up their packet. It's not surprising though. Unfortunately it happens all too often throughout the army especially for enlisted trying to obtain more promotion points.

18 FEB 15 - ATTENTION ALL APPLICANTS, DUE TO THE RECENT INCREASE OF APFT FAILURES AT WOCS, NEW MEASURES FOR THE APPLICATION WILL BE IMPLEMENTED. BEGINNING ON 1 MAR 15, ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO TAKE AN APFT 30 DAYS PRIOR OF REPORTING TO WOCS. ALL SELECTEES WILL BE REQUIRED TO BRING A MEMORANDUM FROM THEIR BDE/BN S3 STIPULATING THE SM HAS PASSED THE APFT AND HT/WT WITHIN THE 30 DAY WINDOW OF REPORTING TO WOCS. ADDITIONALLY, THERE HAVE BEEN UPDATES MADE TO THE DA FORM 61 AND STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING TO REFLECT THESE NEW MEASURES. ALL APPLICANTS APPLYING FOR THE MAY BOARD WHO SUBMIT THEIR PACKET AFTER 1 MARCH WILL BE REQUIRED TO USE THE UPDATED FORMS. APPLICANTS WHO WILL SUBMIT THEIR APPLICATION PRIOR TO 1 MAR AND THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED THEIR APPLICATION WILL BE GRANDFATHERED.

I would think this would apply to AD, not civilians. Just before WOCS, civ applicants complete BCT and so should be in good enough physical shape, correct?

I would think this would apply to AD, not civilians. Just before WOCS, civ applicants complete BCT and so should be in good enough physical shape, correct?

Not all civilian applicants go to BCT first. If any civilian applicant is prior Army or USMC, it is my understanding that they have already been through a "Basic Combat Training" and therefore do not need to do it again. Only prior AF, Navy, or CG applicants would need to complete a BCT prior to WOCS.

Saw the thread, Yamer. The 50 min was posted, but then taken off the USAREC site last year. I think it's still 40. From USAREC:

"The minimum requirement for the SIFT is still 40. There are discussions to raise it to 50 but it hasn't been approved yet and so it hasn't been posted to our website yet. If it does get approved then any applicant that took the SIFT prior to the implementation date will be grandfathered under the current requirement of 40 or better. A retest would not be required"

Was this rescinded already? I dont see it on the site anymore.

Saw the thread, Yamer. The 50 min was posted, but then taken off the USAREC site last year. I think it's still 40. From USAREC:

"The minimum requirement for the SIFT is still 40. There are discussions to raise it to 50 but it hasn't been approved yet and so it hasn't been posted to our website yet. If it does get approved then any applicant that took the SIFT prior to the implementation date will be grandfathered under the current requirement of 40 or better. A retest would not be required"

Ah ok cool, I went to wocs shortly after and left the loop of the know. Glad you're informed then. Good luck!

I got a 49 so it's possible lol

GT: 113
SIFT: 55

APFT: Soon (will update)

Education: High School Senior

LOR: Two US Army Majors, two high school coaches/teachers.

Other info:

Captain of school's tennis team

Co-captain of school's debate, forensics, and swim teams.

(State qualified in a multitude of sports)

Work with Big Brothers Big Sisters, lot of community events/work.

I know my chances, but if I don't apply then I don't have a shot in the first place.

• Like 1

GT: 113

SIFT: 55

APFT: Soon (will update)

Education: High School Senior

LOR: Two US Army Majors, two high school coaches/teachers.

Other info:

Captain of school's tennis team

Co-captain of school's debate, forensics, and swim teams.

(State qualified in a multitude of sports)

Work with Big Brothers Big Sisters, lot of community events/work.

I know my chances, but if I don't apply then I don't have a shot in the first place.

18?? You're just a pup. If you don't make it, you'll have plenty more years to try again!

18?? You're just a pup. If you don't make it, you'll have plenty more years to try again!

(Turned 18 a week ago.)

Thank you, it's just daunting to see other applicants with college degrees and good LoR's applying for the same thing as I am. I don't want to wait four years to become a Warrant Officer, but I will if I need to. I just try and not let other people's stats get to my head.

I'm definitely dedicated to this.

• 2 weeks later...

After almost 2 years of lurking around forums and busting my a$$ to build a competitive package, I’m glad to say that I’ve finally got mine submitted today!!!

GT: 119

SIFT: 50 (Feels like I completely bombed it)

AFPT: 292

Civilian Education: B.S. Homeland Security GPA-3.7, A.A.S. Avionics Technology GPA N/A (Community College of the Air Force), A.A.S. Military Technology Leadership (on my last class) GPA: 3.7

Military Education: Airman Leadership School, Electronic Principles School, Intermediate Avionic Systems Course

Certifications: FAA FAR61 PPL Ground Course, FCC Ground Radio Operators License

Flight Exp: 11 hours fixed wing (Cessna 172)

LOR: Maj. Squadron Commander (F15 Maintenance), Col. Group Commander (F15 Maintenance), Lt Col F15E Pilot (Director of Ops), Lt Col HH-60 Pilot (56th Rescue Squadron Commander)

Military Exp: SSgt USAF F15 Intermediate Avionics Technician, 4.5 years TIS, 9 months TIG

Waivers: None

Quick side note- For all of you who are on the table about whether you can put together a package, I’ll just say this; around 5 years ago, I was a 25 year old high school drop out working in a mall selling wireless phones from a cart making $11 per hour. I always wanted to fly but lacked the confidence to pursue my dreams. Joining the military was the best decision I’ve made in my life (not saying its for everyone but there are definitely huge benefits depending on your career path). With my education paid for and aircraft maintenance experience under my belt, I feel I can accomplish anything. Never give up on your goals. You have no idea what your able to achieve until you try.

• Like 6

I'm hoping to get my packet complete in time for this board.

GT: 125

SIFT: 79

Education: Bachelor degree. GPA 3.0

Aviation Experience: 386 hours fixed wing. Private pilot, CFI sport pilot.

LOR's: US Army 0-5 aviator, CWO5 aviator, Navy O-3 aviator, past supervisor, civilian flight instructor.

Need to do the PT test.

Flight physical getting done tomorrow.

Need to do interview.

No waivers needed.

I am also applying to a reserve unit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never been in the military and started this process about a year ago. First time poster and long time lurker. Seems this site is the Mecca for Army flight...

ASVAB: 137 GT (98 overall)

SIFT: 77

APFT: 244

Education: Mass. Institute of Technology (MIT), Brain & Cognitive Sciences / 3.82 GPA undergrad / 3.35 GPA Masters (1 yr complete)

Flight: 2 hrs intro

Battalion: 74/75

LORs: Dept. Dean, Cardinal, CW3 Aviator

Other: Rhodes Scholar, H.S. Salut., Distinguished Service to Psych Science & various editorial awards.

Well I've been a long time lurker and am in the final stages of my packet. Not gonna make the May board but figure Id post anyways.

GT: 117

SIFT: 80

PT: not done yet

Civilian Education: Associates in Aviation Maintenance (3.0 GPA), Currently in school for my bachelors in Air Transportion/ professional pilot with a 3.1 CUM GPA & 3.5 Major GPA.

Military education: AF Airman Leadership school grad. Helicopter Craftsman course.

Military Exp: 9.5 years in AF Honorable discharge, E5 at discharge.

Flight exp: Current PPL holder with ~100hrs, working on both instrument and commercial certificates.

LORs: 2 AF Captains and 1 Major Helicopter pilots, 1 retired SMSgt (E-8) previous supervisor.

Not done with my boards or medical stuff but those shouldn't be a huge issue.

Well I've been a long time lurker and am in the final stages of my packet. Not gonna make the May board but figure Id post anyways.

GT: 117

SIFT: 80

PT: not done yet

Civilian Education: Associates in Aviation Maintenance (3.0 GPA), Currently in school for my bachelors in Air Transportion/ professional pilot with a 3.1 CUM GPA & 3.5 Major GPA.

Military education: AF Airman Leadership school grad. Helicopter Craftsman course.

Military Exp: 9.5 years in AF Honorable discharge, E5 at discharge.

Flight exp: Current PPL holder with ~100hrs, working on both instrument and commercial certificates.

LORs: 2 AF Captains and 1 Major Helicopter pilots, 1 retired SMSgt (E-8) previous supervisor.

Not done with my boards or medical stuff but those shouldn't be a huge issue.

You really scored an 80 on the SIFT? I don't think I've ever seen a perfect score.

• Like 1