Helicopter School near Chicago, IL Associated with a College and VA???

University of North Dakota and Kansas State U are the biggest ones in the Midwest that come to mind. I'm sure there's others but these 2 are good to go. Have you thought about using your GI Bill for fixed wing training? There's a ton of FW schools.

University of North Dakota and Kansas State U are the biggest ones in the Midwest that come to mind. I'm sure there's others but these 2 are good to go. Have you thought about using your GI Bill for fixed wing training? There's a ton of FW schools.

Would be at any kind of loss by going to a school that doesn't offer high altitude training?

• 2 weeks later...

Would be at any kind of loss by going to a school that doesn't offer high altitude training?

No. don't fall for "high altitude" hype unless you want to fly in colorado, or utah. if you want to fly in any of the other 58 states it won't mean anything on your resume. Also do not do anything more than a turbine transition for like 10 hours. Stick to the basics. that's all you will be teaching. when it comes time to do other things let your future employer pay for training.

No. don't fall for "high altitude" hype unless you want to fly in colorado, or utah. if you want to fly in any of the other 58 states it won't mean anything on your resume. Also do not do anything more than a turbine transition for like 10 hours. Stick to the basics. that's all you will be teaching. when it comes time to do other things let your future employer pay for training.

Only reason I might consider doing my commercial in a turbine is because I plan on staying at my school and instructing for a year or so after school and after 500hrs I may be able to instruct in it. Then I'd have my hundred and some hours plus whatever I can acquire while instructing.

If I could trade in my turbine transition for R-44 time I'd actually meet the minimum requirements for several R-44 Tour gigs coming up this next season.

If you want turbine time I'll sell you mine for 5 bucks, that's pretty much all its worth. Oh' yeah, I too did the turbine transition in promise of a job flying one. Sure they hired me, but then "found" an excuse to cancel the job, followed by, "sorry we just don't have anything else for you right now..."

...but I'm sure that won't happen to you.

:)

Only reason I might consider doing my commercial in a turbine is because I plan on staying at my school and instructing for a year or so after school and after 500hrs I may be able to instruct in it. Then I'd have my hundred and some hours plus whatever I can acquire while instructing.

This is a 100% bad idea. I know it's not what you want to hear. But there are a thousand R22 and R44 instruction jobs out there for you. There is literally 1 turbine job for you... maybe... after you get 500 hours... But you have to GET to that point. And less Robinson time won't help you do that. DO NOT do your commercial training in a turbine. You should finish flight school with either 150 hours R22 and 50 hours R44, or 175 hours R22 and 25 hours R44. No other hour combination will enhance your employment aspects in ANY way. none. zero. zilch.

This is a 100% bad idea. I know it's not what you want to hear. But there are a thousand R22 and R44 instruction jobs out there for you. There is literally 1 turbine job for you... maybe... after you get 500 hours... But you have to GET to that point. And less Robinson time won't help you do that. DO NOT do your commercial training in a turbine. You should finish flight school with either 150 hours R22 and 50 hours R44, or 175 hours R22 and 25 hours R44. No other hour combination will enhance your employment aspects in ANY way. none. zero. zilch.

If I could trade in my turbine transition for R-44 time I'd actually meet the minimum requirements for several R-44 Tour gigs coming up this next season.

If you want turbine time I'll sell you mine for 5 bucks, that's pretty much all its worth. Oh' yeah, I too did the turbine transition in promise of a job flying one. Sure they hired me, but then "found" an excuse to cancel the job, followed by, "sorry we just don't have anything else for you right now..."

...but I'm sure that won't happen to you.

:)

Fair enough. Thanks guys

The chance that you try to take it from the other guy who is already instructing in the turbine right off at the bat is a 0% chance. And i will say this from the VERY start of your training: Expect the un expected. Don't count on anything you have planned to work out EXACTLY as you planned it, because more than likely it won't work out the way you have it in your head. If you would have asked me two years ago if I ever thought I would be out here in Florida flying commercial tours I would have said no. I never saw myself out here doing this job. I was figuring the whole "instruct at the school you trained at" was going to be the route I was going to go, and then my current gig popped up.

• Like 1

The chance that you try to take it from the other guy who is already instructing in the turbine right off at the bat is a 0% chance. And i will say this from the VERY start of your training: Expect the un expected. Don't count on anything you have planned to work out EXACTLY as you planned it, because more than likely it won't work out the way you have it in your head. If you would have asked me two years ago if I ever thought I would be out here in Florida flying commercial tours I would have said no. I never saw myself out here doing this job. I was figuring the whole "instruct at the school you trained at" was going to be the route I was going to go, and then my current gig popped up.

I'm trying not to get anything set in my head on how it's all gonna play out. Just hoping that lucky horseshoe my dad always said I had up my ass is still there and things work out for me. Haha

Old City?

About 99 per cent of the entry level jobs are at low altitude in piston helicopter. Anyone that pitches you high altitude or turbine isn't following your best interest of getting the most hours for the cheapest amount of money and getting enough hours to reach a first job. Old City doesn't fly much, doesn't pay much and doesn't hire too many pilots but you do get on there mailing list to try pitch you a helicopter.