Selection today

I'm saying the same thing Lindsey said, that it isn't the mission for me, and I would do everything to ensure that I didn't wind up doing something that I had no passion for. Like Lindsey, if I couldn't win that battle I would do my best to be a top performer and be happy with it. Do you think I'm going to tell AV Branch to f itself? I know how bad I wanted to be an Aviator and I know how badly people want in (which has nothing to do with this conversation), but I wanted to be an Aviator because it was a better way for me to directly contribute to the fight, not because I wanted to fly at 20,000 feet. Is the transportation of GO's important? Sure, but not to PVT Snuffaluffagus. I'd probably be happy with hauling GO's around in a GSAB, who knows? But in the meantime the "needs of the Amy" will continue to mean directing my career towards places where I find myself as motivated as possible. In the end, that ensures that the Army gets a better product.

If I feel that the fixed wing community wouldn't motivate me, what business is it of yours? And who are you to tell me or anyone else what they can and can't do with their careers?

I'm saying the same thing Lindsey said, that it isn't the mission for me, and I would do everything to ensure that I didn't wind up doing something that I had no passion for. Like Lindsey, if I couldn't win that battle I would do my best to be a top performer and be happy with it. Do you think I'm going to tell AV Branch to f itself? I know how bad I wanted to be an Aviator and I know how badly people want in (which has nothing to do with this conversation), but I wanted to be an Aviator because it was a better way for me to directly contribute to the fight, not because I wanted to fly at 20,000 feet. Is the transportation of GO's important? Sure, but not to PVT Snuffaluffagus. I'd probably be happy with hauling GO's around in a GSAB, who knows? But in the meantime the "needs of the Amy" will continue to mean directing my career towards places where I find myself as motivated as possible. In the end, that ensures that the Army gets a better product.

If I feel that the fixed wing community wouldn't motivate me, what business is it of yours? And who are you to tell me or anyone else what they can and can't do with their careers?

I dont know where you are at in your flight school process but I can tell your still full of piss and vinegar.

Don't let that steam / motivation / whatever you want to call it run out. But, be realistic. At the end of the day this Army gig is just a job, it's not gonna be the most important thing you are gonna do in your life. The Army is going to make decisions on your behalf without consulting you, that's how it is.

Yeah, the mission is what drives us, please understand almost all the aviators who've been around for a while have been in your shoes. Realize you may never deploy to combat, you may become a 64 pilots and log a sh*t ton of simulator time.

Really what I'm saying is, and this goes for all the folks in flight school, don't be set on one thing, get something else and be completely devestated. To the Army, all of us our disposable so that in mind, have a backup plan when sh*t doesn't go your way.

• Like 2

You will take a Selection PT test at the completion of BWS, two days before Selection. That's the only one that counts.

For those who have/will go through WOBC, as opposed to the old BOLC system (so pretty much everyone except a few of us at this point), here is the OML breakdown.

Keep in mind this is for the entirely of flight school to determine who is Honor Graduate at Graduation, but you can eliminate everything under Advanced Airframe to figure out the percentages and stuff for selection.

You posted a flow chart?! Are you sure your a warrant? ;)

• Like 2

I dont know where you are at in your flight school process but I can tell your still full of piss and vinegar.

Don't let that steam / motivation / whatever you want to call it run out. But, be realistic. At the end of the day this Army gig is just a job, it's not gonna be the most important thing you are gonna do in your life. The Army is going to make decisions on your behalf without consulting you, that's how it is.

Yeah, the mission is what drives us, please understand almost all the aviators who've been around for a while have been in your shoes. Realize you may never deploy to combat, you may become a 64 pilots and log a sh*t ton of simulator time.

Really what I'm saying is, and this goes for all the folks in flight school, don't be set on one thing, get something else and be completely devestated. To the Army, all of us our disposable so that in mind, have a backup plan when sh*t doesn't go your way.

Thanks for the advice Joe. I'll be the first to admit that I am still incredibly idealistic, which doesn't always mesh with reality. But like you said, I will ensure that I do have backup plans in place just in case the Army's plans trump my own. Sorry CharyouTree, I didn't mean to start an interwebs pissing contest, I just really really wanna be as close in to our future fights as I can get and I'm super passionate about the ground guys.

The OH-58 pilots were just as passionate about the ground guys and the mission, that mission has been pulled out from under them leaving a majority in the dark as to their future in Aviation.

Others are right, the Army and the Military as a whole can change the direction of your career on a moments notice. If you are lasered in to just one path you will ultimately be disappointed.

• Like 1

You will take a Selection PT test at the completion of BWS, two days before Selection. That's the only one that counts.

For those who have/will go through WOBC, as opposed to the old BOLC system (so pretty much everyone except a few of us at this point), here is the OML breakdown.

Keep in mind this is for the entirely of flight school to determine who is Honor Graduate at Graduation, but you can eliminate everything under Advanced Airframe to figure out the percentages and stuff for selection.

That's much better than when I selected a year ago. The APFT was worth 100 points! That moved me down in the OML, but I still got what I wanted and graduated as DHG. :P

• Like 1

I got stuck flying GO's in a GSAB once. Then on the way to pick one up we spotted a blown up truck on the road, still burning, and the suspected triggerman hiding not too far away. We called in an F-16 strike on his car which was filled with RPGs, then chased him down and delivered a can of 7.62 justice. This was on 9/11/08. We were several hours late picking up the general, but we apologized and he seemed OK with it. It's not that bad.

• Like 2

I bet you can't say "meow" 10 times during selection.

Haha hey man, I'm not trying to stay at b co any longer than I have to! I wanna start class right meow!

• Like 1

Haha hey man, I'm not trying to stay at b co any longer than I have to! I wanna start class right meow!

Haha I love it! I don't blame you though, seems like it has been a long haul for you. Best of luck on Wednesday and hope you can avoid those "F" word aircraft.

• Like 1

Funny, I thought you really wanted Hawks? I hear they really want more fixed wing pilots...

I've had a solid few months to really give it some thought. Really, though, I'll be happy with any of them (except, ahem, fixed wing ;-) )