Selection today

I just got done flying the UH-72 for a couple of hours and here's my take; yes, it's a cool, little civilian helicopter. It's best quality is that its rated for single pilot operation but its got a great avionics suite (for an Army aircraft). I think beyond the safety of having two engines, it's way too much to stuff into a Primary students head, and the mast moment issues present too many restrictions for students feeling their way around learning to fly. Its bad enough that my first time flying it I wasn't allowed to attempt a landing without an SP in the other seat. It's perfect for what the Army originally purchased it for, hard stand to hardstand, non-combatant support.

For those of you who were excited to fly it to get another "rating", you'll have it listed on your ORB/759, but not have enough time in it to be qualified to be considered by HRC for a Lakota assignment. This isn't a big deal now, since most all the LUH assignments have converted to 60Ms.

Depending on how many Ft Rucker wrecks, the current purchase block is 250-something LUHs, will far exceeds the Rucker requirement. My guess s when the Army starts seeing the bill for operating 60s where the UHs and UH-s used to inhabit, you'll start seeing a fiscally driven move to push Lakotas back out to some TDA assignments.

As far as civilian employment; the time you get in an EC-145 with primary/instruments combined isn't going to get you a job in the future. Total helicopter turbine PIC time (Pt 61 definition) is what matters. You'll have long forgotten everything you every knew about the LUH by the time you ready to get out of the Army, so the fact that you have 50 hours of EC time isn't going to make or break your job search.

Mike-

• Like 4

Everyone worries about getting experience in a civilian equivalent aircraft such as a H145 while they're in. Civilian operators list preferred time in those aircraft. The reality is, they don't care. You have to go through their Part 135 checkout program anyway.

Employers want total time for insurance purposes. Instrument and NVG time is important. Time in type helps but finding someone with significant time in type is rare. I was offered an IFR single pilot spot in a 145 and I've never even sat in one!

You're getting out of the Army. You've flown mostly aircraft that have no civilian equivalent. Don't worry about it. They'll train you. You're going to go from flying a 60, 64 or 47 one day into an H135/145 the next.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 2

Oh dear pagan god of helicopter selection... Let me get a selection like this and 1st on my OML.. So that I can toil and squirm at the last second and change my mind five times between my seat and the white board and be hated by at least one individual by the time I sit down...

Oh wait, they are all awesome aircraft, f*ckin Army Aviation... this is awesome.

Oh dear pagan god of helicopter selection... Let me get a selection like this and 1st on my OML.. So that I can toil and squirm at the last second and change my mind five times between my seat and the white board and be hated by at least one individual by the time I sit down...

Oh wait, they are all awesome aircraft, f*ckin Army Aviation... this is awesome.

I figure if I was in that situation, I'd bring a bingo cage and let fate decide.

post-38686-0-45363000-1447682110_thumb.jpg

No.1 on OML gets called to the front and erases a tick mark for his choice. He stays up there and erases tick marks as each choice is called out going down the list until there is nothing left to select. Once there is only one airframe left then selection is over and that's what you're flying.

• Like 3

Not gonna lie, I'd probably be that guy being a little baby if I didn't get Ah-64D/E. It's nothing against the other airframes and I'm not gonna start a debate but just because I've been an Apache Repairer for 6 years and I know that airframe in and out. This guy can do my own PMD lol.

Not gonna lie, I'd probably be that guy being a little baby if I didn't get Ah-64D/E. It's nothing against the other airframes and I'm not gonna start a debate but just because I've been an Apache Repairer for 6 years and I know that airframe in and out. This guy can do my own PMD lol.

There should be a program for former maintainers.There also needs to be an incentive to work hard, which is what the selection does.

I totally disagree that enlisted 15s get a priority.

Being a former ground guy, i feel like we should should get bonus points :)

1)We've had a hard life and now deserve the best shot at a good life in AVN

2)If you've killed somebody with 5.56, you've earned first chance at 64s.

• Like 2