Selection today

Did you get switched from your first choice?

Yup.. Apaches to Chinooks. Not terribly upset about it.. but getting your first choice and feeling awesome about it, and then having it taken away the next day and getting something else was pretty shitty. Embarrassing, even.

Yup.. Apaches to Chinooks. Not terribly upset about it.. but getting your first choice and feeling awesome about it, and then having it taken away the next day and getting something else was pretty shitty. Embarrassing, even.

That seems like quite the leap, to go from 64 to 47.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I am a prior service Infantryman, working with a recruiter right now putting a WOFT packet together to come back into the Army. I am just cruising these forums trying to pick up any knowledge I can and after reading a lot of this thread I have a question.

Why does it seem like everyone would give their first born to fly the 47? I know it is an awesome aircraft, I got to ride in it many times and even jumped out of it once. I guess I'm just confused as to why I read that a 64 pilot would kill someone to transfer to the 47.

I'm sorry if this question makes me sound naive but to be fair when it comes to Army aviation I am.

Okay, so I am a prior service Infantryman, working with a recruiter right now putting a WOFT packet together to come back into the Army. I am just cruising these forums trying to pick up any knowledge I can and after reading a lot of this thread I have a question.

Why does it seem like everyone would give their first born to fly the 47? I know it is an awesome aircraft, I got to ride in it many times and even jumped out of it once. I guess I'm just confused as to why I read that a 64 pilot would kill someone to transfer to the 47.

I'm sorry if this question makes me sound naive but to be fair when it comes to Army aviation I am.

There are a couple reasons for this.

1. 47s seem to be the airframe that people want if they are getting some flight time, lots of lift experience they can translate to the civilian world, and training in the army, and set themselves up for success when they get out.

2. There are relatively few 47s when compared to other airframes so simple supply and demand.

3. Most of the flight school instructors are lift guys (just a numbers thing) so the attack community gets a bad rap and most students are convinced they would rather fly lift (47s being the ultimate in lift). (This may have changed in the last 8 years or so. Someone who is more current on flight school could chime in)

From my point of view, everyone pretty much knows what they want before you even step into IERW. One day of WOBC/BOLC with 45 minutes at each aircraft isnt going to change it.

47's are a rarity so they get snatched up pretty quick by anyone that wanted lift.

Everyone says pick the mission, not the aircraft and it 100% holds true.

• Like 1

Helps also that the CH-47 is a completely wacky aircraft (IMO) and also does (basically) everything the UH-60 does, but more.

I guess I'm just confused as to why I read that a 64 pilot would kill someone to transfer to the 47.

Not everyone in the 64 course is here by choice. There's one dude in my class who was forced into the Apache cause he was last on the OML at selection. That being said: That one dude has done a complete 180 since class started, and he wouldn't trade the 64 for anything now that he's flown it.

Speaking of selections: What's the deal with them recently? The class leader notes today said something about BN restructuring the OML cause of recent f*ckery.

Helps also that the CH-47 is a completely wacky aircraft (IMO) and also does (basically) everything the UH-60 does, but more. class leader notes today said something about BN restructuring the OML cause of recent f*ckery.

-_-