Selection today

We were told families and friends are no longer invited to selection... and ours got pushed to the right 2 days.

Do you have any idea why they stopped letting families in?

Do you have any idea why they stopped letting families in?

I can very easily imagine an irate wife "my johnny deserves his Apache, he worked so hard, this is f*cked up!" Etc etc. really I'm surprised they were ever allowed.

• Like 7

I can very easily imagine an irate wife "my johnny deserves his Apache, he worked so hard, this is f*cked up!" Etc etc. really I'm surprised they were ever allowed.

That thought had crossed my mind. Then I thought, nah, that can't actually be a thing.

Okay, so I am a prior service Infantryman, working with a recruiter right now putting a WOFT packet together to come back into the Army. I am just cruising these forums trying to pick up any knowledge I can and after reading a lot of this thread I have a question.

Why does it seem like everyone would give their first born to fly the 47? I know it is an awesome aircraft, I got to ride in it many times and even jumped out of it once. I guess I'm just confused as to why I read that a 64 pilot would kill someone to transfer to the 47.

I'm sorry if this question makes me sound naive but to be fair when it comes to Army aviation I am.

I personally never had the desire to fly the Attack mission, and fixed wing just never appealed to me in the way rotary wing did. That pretty much narrowed my choices down to 60s or 47s. They both do similar missions, so why would one want 47s over 60s? To each their own really, but here was my thought process when I went to selection. Take it for what it's worth.

If I would have selected 60s I could have been sent to a MEDEVAC company, Air Assault company, VIP movement, General Support, etc... The main point being that I would primarily fly one specific mission while in that unit. I head stories of people who started in MEDEVAC, a few years later PCSd into an Assault battalion only to have essentially zero air assault planning experience. Picking 60s meant that big Army would still be picking my mission for me when my orders came down, at least for my first duty station.

In 47 land, regardless of where you get stationed, you routinely fly pretty much every mission that 60s fly except dedicated MEDEVAC and VIP movement (although we still do CASEVAC and move VIPs in some cases). Not only does choosing 47s mean that you are much more likely to be more well rounded in the missions you are trained in, you will also be flying a more capable aircraft. Now I'm not saying that 60s aren't capable aircraft, but what I am saying is that a CH-47 can fly higher, faster, and longer than a 60 in most circumstances. We can carry more troops, more cargo, and more fuel. This capability makes the 47 a highly in demand aircraft to the ground force commanders. All this coupled with the fact that there are very few 47s compared to 60s lead me to believe that I would be doing more missions and getting more flight time as a Chinook pilot than as a Hawk pilot. I'm not sure how true the flight time portion is since I've never been a 60 pilot, but I certainly don't regret my decision. Chinooks are insanely powerful helicopters, and as a bonus, I have never beed asked a single question about LTE.

TL;DR: If size didn't matter, we'd all be flying Blackhawks.

• Like 2

TL;DR: If size didn't matter, we'd all be flying Blackhawks.

This made me smile. Anyway I finally graduated last week..... And so far I have not regretted selecting the 47 for one minute. As to the original question, I too have an infantry-ish background (Recon Marine/JTAC). I just never had an urge to fly attack, not entirely sure why. I felt the 47, for the same reasons that were just mentioned fit me the best. I've noticed most my buddies here that came from SF/Ranger/TACP all want 47s, a lot of the infantry guys wanted Attack. Just an observation.

Congrats.

FWIW as a former infantry guy working on going guard, I'm excited that if it works out I'll be going the medevac route as the units I'm looking at are all air ambulance. Watching Dustoff and Pedros overseas was one of the big motivations for wanting to do this. The other perk is given I will probably spend the vast majority of my time in the states, there still is opportunity to do your job for the guard in natural disasters, mountain rescue, etc. Granted, I'm sure everything is subject to change, but it seems you have a bit more control over your destiny in the guard/reserve side generally speaking.

Mike

Who's this Johnny? And why does he have to belong to the attack community... this is f*cked up!

I've noticed most my buddies here that came from SF/Ranger/TACP all want 47s, a lot of the infantry guys wanted Attack. Just an observation.

That's because your customer demographics have fond memories of the Black Buffalo dropping angry dudes and 16,000 rounds a minute of 7.62 on entire compounds...

• Like 4

64D and 64E courses have had a huge cut in hours flown during the course and overall course length. Not sure of the exact number because it seems like it changes on a weekly basis.

Weekly sounds about right. At one point we had three classes doing three different CMP's.

64D course is now on the AQC CMP, which is 16 weeks. They cut like 8 weeks out of the course, not sure on the number of flight hours. Transition phase (which I just finished) lost about 13 hours, and that's just the first phase.

It's brutal. The Echoes aren't having an easier time of it either. At this point I'm convinced they're just kinda allowing us to pass, cause there's no way we're up to the standard from the previous CMP.