Selection today

is this a hard date? Like for example are they phasing these out so more of the 72's are being utilized for training ever class, or are they going to get rid of all of em on that specific date? LOL sorry for the preciseness here, I'd just love to get the 72 when I go through IERW solely to be eligible for the 64E...(if i have a choice that is)

Common core flight training is scheduled to be 100% transitioned to the UH-72 for FY19.

is this a hard date? Like for example are they phasing these out so more of the 72's are being utilized for training ever class, or are they going to get rid of all of em on that specific date? LOL sorry for the preciseness here, I'd just love to get the 72 when I go through IERW solely to be eligible for the 64E...(if i have a choice that is)

Hmm, I guess I have some bad info then.....is there any selection restrictions based on air frame used in training?

Currently only the 72 classes are eligible to select C-12.

When are these TH-67s getting the hell out of the training pipeline?

Yea, its a shame we will have a whole new generation of pilots that have never autorotated to the ground...

• Like 2

Yea, its a shame we will have a whole new generation of pilots that have never autorotated to the ground...

Autos to the ground was probably my favorite part of primary.

Fortunately for the whole new generation of pilots, I have a commercial rotorcraft and instrument rating w/SEL&MEL add ons so I have done my fair share of both auto-rotation and power-off landings. ;)

But yeah, I don't quite understand why the Army decided to use the 72s as initial trainers. Glass cockpits and the inability to demonstrate basic fundamentals of flying rotorcraft makes them less than desirable.

Oh man way too many c12s for my liking. But honestly beggars can't be choosers and I'll take what I can get lol

Just out of curiosity, what's the word on all these c12s? Can anyone speak on behalf of them as to why they are desirable (other than good transition to a civi airline job once finished), why the army is putting out so many, what the mission usually is, and if a c12 pilot gets more flight time than rotary wing pilots? I wouldn't be bummed if I got one in selection but there doesn't seem to be much noise on them. Obviously it's an entirely different mission and you probably wouldn't see combat which seems to miss the point of why most go WOFT. Just curious.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, what's the word on all these c12s? Can anyone speak on behalf of them as to why they are desirable (other than good transition to a civi airline job once finished), why the army is putting out so many, what the mission usually is, and if a c12 pilot gets more flight time than rotary wing pilots? I wouldn't be bummed if I got one in selection but there doesn't seem to be much noise on them. Obviously it's an entirely different mission and you probably wouldn't see combat which seems to miss the point of why most go WOFT. Just curious.

The number of aircraft in selection is based on retention needs. The numbers can varry a lot from selection to selection. Fixed wing will definitely get you more flight hours, it's just the nature of it, helos just can't stay in the air as long. The C12s primary mission is Information Surveillance and Reconnaissance, they fly pretty much non stop in theatre so while it's not quite the same as running air assault missions out of a 60 in downtown Baghdad, you will still deploy as a fixed wing pilot. The missions can be boring and repetitive, circling at 20k feet for 8 hours. Which as you said many people who go WOFT do so because they want the excitement of flying a helo. It just all depends on what you want to do.

Fortunately for the whole new generation of pilots, I have a commercial rotorcraft and instrument rating w/SEL&MEL add ons so I have done my fair share of both auto-rotation and power-off landings. ;)

But yeah, I don't quite understand why the Army decided to use the 72s as initial trainers. Glass cockpits and the inability to demonstrate basic fundamentals of flying rotorcraft makes them less than desirable.

Whoops

To expand on other poster comments.

We say "C-12" but that really expands out to:

• C-12 (King air)
  • C-26 (Metroliner)
  • UC-35 (Citation)
  • C-20 (G3 and G4s)
  • C-37 (G5)
  • RC-12 (SEMA Spooky king air)
  • EO-5 (SEMA DHC-7)
  • B-300 (SEMA Spooky super king air)

There are also more. Army got a few T-6s that are currently chilling out at Redstone along with some other cooler spooky craft.

Point is, we say "C-12" but it really expands to a much larger organization of fixed wing aviation inside the United States Army. The mission is transport, spooky sh*t, and test/research.

• Like 2

To expand on other poster comments.

We say "C-12" but that really expands out to:

• C-12 (King air)
  • C-26 (Metroliner)
  • UC-35 (Citation)
  • C-20 (G3 and G4s)
  • C-37 (G5)
  • RC-12 (SEMA Spooky king air)
  • EO-5 (SEMA DHC-7)
  • B-300 (SEMA Spooky super king air)

There are also more. Army got a few T-6s that are currently chilling out at Redstone along with some other cooler spooky craft.

Point is, we say "C-12" but it really expands to a much larger organization of fixed wing aviation inside the United States Army. The mission is transport, spooky sh*t, and test/research.

Has the Army pretty much done away with the possibility of switching to fixed wing from rotor later in ones career?

Has the Army pretty much done away with the possibility of switching to fixed wing from rotor later in ones career?

If they happen to decide to divest an airframe like they did with the OH58, then you would have the chance. The Army is switching to the term "Vertical Lift" these days, what that will end up looking like in the next 10 to 20 years may be very different.

If they happen to decide to divest an airframe like they did with the OH58, then you would have the chance. The Army is switching to the term "Vertical Lift" these days, what that will end up looking like in the next 10 to 20 years may be very different.

Yeah hopefully it will be more of a Tilt-rotor type in the future. I'd love the ability to log FW & RW hours at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...