Selection today

"Solo" is really defined as the sole manipulator of the controls, not just implied as "by your self"..... The question I was originally asking pertained to the FW side : if they even do an Army "solo", but thanks for your input.

A solo is by yourself. You gave the definition of pilot in command. As a student pilot part 61 and 141, you are not allowed to have anyone else in the aircraft during any solos, whether in the pattern or flying a cross country.

The Army doesn't allow their students to fly solo at any time.

• Like 1

A solo is by yourself. You gave the definition of pilot in command. As a student pilot part 61 and 141, you are not allowed to have anyone else in the aircraft during any solos, whether in the pattern or flying a cross country.

The Army doesn't allow their students to fly solo at any time.

Yes I know the FAR AIM well. Let me rephrase: The FAA regs mention no other occupant can be in the a/c when a student (non rated) is soloing. Tell me then, is a stick buddy considered a pax flying with a student pilot whom is not rated to actually carry pax in the first place? This doesn't even make any sense. In Initial entry the solo is not actually by yourself, but with another student whom isn't rated so is considered a passenger but you can't fly with passengers as a student because you aren't rated so yes you are PIC then, or by yourself for purposes of the regs, not purposes of semantics.

Will no one just answer the question I originally asked: "ARE ARMY FW STUDENTS GETTING THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO AN "ARMY SOLO" OR NOT?

I get it : Army solo = not real solo but kinda actually a solo because good luck looking to your buddy whom has the same experience as you do when confronted with a problem and no instructor to save the both of you kind of solo.

Now the selection thread has turned into Han Solo's group therapy. I blame Lindsey & B Co.

Now the selection thread has turned into Han Solo's group therapy.

Thats okay. There isnt a selection this week.

From what I heard, talking with a friend in the course, they do aerobatics training but do not solo the Grob

• Like 1

Curious as to how in depth the aerobatics get. Just upset recovery and spins I guess.

No, no solo time in the grob. Four acrobatic flights is the highlight of the grob experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It has already been posted that the only Army solo is in the 67 for three traffic patterns. A good portion of flight students are already FW and/or RW rated.

I can think of four out of over 100 that I knew well during flight school that had any prior flight experience. The Vast majority do not.
  • Like 1

It has already been posted that the only Army solo is in the 67 for three traffic patterns. A good portion of flight students are already FW and/or RW rated.

When I was there we also did “solo” flights with two students in 58 A/Cs. Like BM1 said, of all the people I knew and met in flight school only five or six had any prior flight experience, three that I recall with actual ratings.

• 1 month later...

Any recent selections?

Everyone just got back from block leave. Im sure there was selections before but I havent heard anything. Most of my friends have already selected.