Selection today

Anner you are correct. If Hawks is all your state has then Hawks it is...

Yes, 3 hooks and 4 Hawks. No Apache. I am literally the only warrant in my Apache class right now. Only five more slots to fill in my class too...

LTs had 8 Apache, 1 hook, and the rest Hawks

• Like 2

I forget sometimes how long it takes to get through Rucker sometimes. At least a bunch of you all are selecting now... but you still have all of advanced airframe to go through.

I was thinking the last time I was pretty active in the forums, some of those selecting now were still asking about how to their packet/stats look. Time flies. Kinda.

As far as the RIP is concerned, there's still work for guns but the days of a valley full of "free chicken" is long gone. I think the average number of engagements for our pilots have been less than a hand full. At least each pilot had at least one engagement.

It's very different from the "last deployment" stories we've heard prior to this one.

• Like 1

First three warrants and first lieutenant took them. Luckily those were the ones who really wanted them too so it worked out. Lieutenants were all crazy fighting over apaches. There were some upsets with that but not with hooks

• Like 1

Anner you are correct. If Hawks is all your state has then Hawks it is...

Yes, 3 hooks and 4 Hawks. No Apache. I am literally the only warrant in my Apache class right now. Only five more slots to fill in my class too...

LTs had 8 Apache, 1 hook, and the rest Hawks

Good grief. I would hate to have gone above and beyond just to have OML standing mean absolutely nothing. I'd maybe try grovelling at the commander/64 SMO's feet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, that is about right. Lots of UAS jobs too.

Excuse my Newb-Ness, What does UAS stand for?

I dread the day a TF Commander comes up with the bright idea to launch an Attack team in IFR conditions to fly to a TIC or mission in an area that is VFR, and then have them punch back in IFR to return to the FOB.

So I'm a civilian Private Pilot who is only signed off on SEL, VFR, so excuse my ignorance here as well. Why would this be a bad thing? I understand no VOR's no radio navigation, etc. but wouldn't GPS be more than sufficient to get you where you need to go? Does it have to do with flying low or something? Thanks.

Today's selection

O's

1 Apache

1 Chinook

13 Blackhawks

WOs

1 Apache

3 Chinooks

15 Hawks

I got a hawk

Nice.

3 more 47s I see. Either they are ramping up the schoolhouse (I doubt that) or there is going to be another while before more hooks get selected.

• Like 1

So I'm a civilian Private Pilot who is only signed off on SEL, VFR, so excuse my ignorance here as well. Why would this be a bad thing? I understand no VOR's no radio navigation, etc. but wouldn't GPS be more than sufficient to get you where you need to go? Does it have to do with flying low or something? Thanks.

UAS = unmanned aerial systems AKA drones (for the army that's usually Raven, Grey Eagle, Shadow...)

Don't have so much faith in your GPS. Taking off into IMC in peacetime let alone combat is pretty unusual for most army pilots. Imagine a GPS failure in combat, where there's no navaids or ATC to vector you. Theoretically you could do it, but the risk assessment would be off the chart. Plus our enemies have been known to be working on GPS jammers. Army VFR requires 3 miles and 1000 feet visibility, you really don't want to be out in anything less when the bullets start flying.

Both Iraq and Afghanistan have no low altitude IFR structure. Even if they did, by the time you did all the preflight planning for IFR, the fight would be over. Not to mention, the majority of the missions, whether it be attack or lift require pretty good weather to pull them off. You can't file IFR to COP Korengal or something. Don't have IAPs to some camp in the middle of no where. For the Apache guys, circling IMC while trying to identify targets thru the goo would be a mess. An accident waiting to happen.

Someday the technology will get to the point where you can do a re supply to a mountain top fullly automated while IMC. It just hasn't gotten to that point yet.

Edited by Velocity173