The best use of limited funds

ozzie1

I had a discontinuance of my cfi check ride a couple years ago due to weather. I wasn't able to get it rescheduled within the 90 days. So of course my written test have expired. I have seen a few jobs listed where maybe: Commercial, 500 hrs and Robinson safety course. My question is: With only having money for one, where would my money be better spent, getting my cfi, or attending the Robinson safety course? Wisdom seems to point towards cfi. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Your chances of getting a job as a pilot with just the commercial are almost nil.....

The chances of you getting a job as a CFI are a little better than the chances with just a commercial.....

Most CFI employers want the Robinson safety course. Moreover, if I remember correctly, to qualify for Pathfinder insurance, you must have done the Robinson safety course no matter what you are doing……

Edited by Spike

I had a discontinuance of my cfi check ride a couple years ago due to weather. I wasn't able to get it rescheduled within the 90 days. So of course my written test have expired. I have seen a few jobs listed where maybe: Commercial, 500 hrs and Robinson safety course. My question is: With only having money for one, where would my money be better spent, getting my cfi, or attending the Robinson safety course? Wisdom seems to point towards cfi. Thoughts?

That's really a tough one since most jobs will require both. I would say go for the CFI since it's good for life (provided that you take the refresher every two years). You would also stand a better chance at some jobs if you say, "I have my CFI and am scheduled to take the RHC safety course in a few months, but I just need to save up the money." My flight school, Middle River Aviation doesn't use Pathfinder and will hire you with just your CFI.

*The only caveat is if you have a guaranteed offer with a tour company contingent on getting the safety course. In that case, I would say go for the safety course.

• Like 1

If you get your CFI in an S300 you may be able to find a teaching gig without the Robby course?

Do these jobs actually exist? I feel like they are few and far between; but most of my flying experience has been east of the Mississippi River.

I have seen a few jobs listed where maybe: Commercial, 500 hrs and Robinson safety course.

I chose the Robinson course. That was almost 9 years ago and I'm still trying to get one of those 500hr jobs.

Good luck buddy! HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HAAA!

:)

Do you have your Instrument on your Commercial?

The reason I ask if you have your instrument is because if you do, then you can legally work commercially. Now we all know that the chances are minuscule of landing a gig with those credentials and hours. But, what about taking a SIC job for a while? You need Commercial / Instrument to apply from what I have seen / heard.

You should be able to earn some PIC time while you are working SIC, all turbine. The money isn't great, but maybe you can sock a little away and keep moving towards CFI / CFII. At the very least, it will get you back in the game, and meeting people in the industry who might be able to plug you into something else at a later time.

I'm working as a CFI now, but I am considering looking into this just to see something different for a while.

Check out this company:

http://www.croman.net/2005/index.htm

Cryesis , I shouldn't have said it like that. What I meant to say was that it is an unwritten rule that it might as well be a requirement these days. Sort of like the "traditional" way into the industry is to get your CFI, work to 1,000 hours, work tours...............you get the idea. Anyway, it is a requirement for the company that I referred the OP to.

Most of the working pilots I know advanced via the “traditional” route. And while I know a couple who didn’t, they are a fraction of the total number….. Simply put, when posturing ones-self for a future in this business, you don’t want to start out with a “fraction” of a chance… That would be dumb….

With respect to SIC gig’s; call an operator who offers such positions. They will tell you the SIC’s they hire have a fair amount of entry-level PIC time and most have come from the experienced CFI pool…

If the goal is to fly for a living, the CFII is a must to the point of being absolutely required and/or 100% necessary. Attempt to believe otherwise is a foolish notion with nothing to gain but disappointment and financial ruin….

For the OP, sorry to tell you, in your case, having money for one is like having no money at all as neither by itself will make you more marketable to prospective employers. With that said, you’ll need “all of the above” to be even considered for a job -anywhere…. All of the above is; CFII certification with the Robinson course…..

• Like 2

Flying Pig, I hear ya. I would have thought that on this forum, you could make a pretty generalized statement that everyone knows is pretty much a fact and get away with it. I hate that sometimes you feel you have to put a disclaimer in everything you write. Like "I know there are times when................." or "not everyone will............." etc.

The Op isn't a newbie to the industry, so I'm sure he understood what I was saying.

• Like 1

Oh I knew that FP. I was agreeing with yours, haha. Guess it is hard to be clear online sometimes.

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder... :o

You seem to have enough time for one of these 500hr jobs and you have attempted the cfi before. So, what aircraft is your time in and how did you get it?

:huh:

I only ask because without having attended the RHC course I would not have been able to rent (as every school I've rented from has required it) for all these years and thus aquired the time needed to apply for them myself.

...and yes I am enjoying this topic, thanks!

:)

So flying pig at 2000 hours you needed instrument. Many cfi jobs and tour jobs don't require instrument, on limited funds it would make sense to get cfi and find a cfi job then worry about instrument down the road when funds are less of an issue. Just my take on what I would do......if the op can't afford CFI training and the RHC course I'd imagine instrument is way out of the picture for now.

It's a waste of time to get a commercial without getting an instrument. I don't understand why someone would just burn 100 hours or so going from private-commercial without getting the instrument rating in there? Especially now that it's common knowledge that the majority of jobs require it.

Just like I'll never understand why people go to school to be a helicopter pilot and decide not to get a cfi.(not talking about the op's history here. He planned on getting a cfi).

These are requirements to work in this industry these days.

As said earlier, CFII with robbie course is about required.

Op. Get your cfi and cfii 1st. Then get a credit card and put the robbie course on it and pay it back as you can. Hopefully with your cfi wages now that you're actually qualified to work.

Edited by rotormandan