The best use of limited funds

ozzie1

I had 2000hrs of turbine helicopter time, MD500, Bell 206 series and UH1 and pretty much every job I looked at on the civilian side told me to call back after I added my instrument. So to say an instrument isn't required...... Ehhhhhhh. Ok

Yes its necessary…… In fact, Pig Dude, don’t call me again until you have it!... Giggle....

OP, big bummer about not completing your CFI Checkride in the prescribed manner. I hope that examiner gave you a break in the price of his "service".

Anyway, another way of looking at "sweetening" your resume is to consider all of the other unemployed pilots that you are COMPETING with for the same jobs that you are HOPING to get into. It is VERY tough for anybody without all the "squares" filled or even if you go too too long without flying to keep current.

If and when you do go for your Instrument Rating, FLY IT ALL AT NIGHT. All Instrument Ratings should be done during Commercial Training and done at night to log as much Night Flying as possible (at least 100 hours). Of course, this is easier to do in the winter season.

I say this as I am a tad frustrated, in hindsight, having CFI, having Instrument Rating and had the CFII Checkride canceled at the peak of my skills, then ran out of money.

Now having over 2000 hrs, it's hard for me to find a flying job without enough Night Flying. I JUST barely meet Part 135 requirements.

• Like 2

I'm glad I started this topic, because a lot of good info on here. Most of my time is in R22, R44, R44 doing rides etc. My training was done at a small place that didn't have an instrument ship. I knew I could work on instrument while getting my commercial, and It's my fault for not trying to find a different place at that time. So yes I feel I wasted a lot of money, and to get back into it, I want to try and finish up the right way and make myself competitive with others out there.