One Last Roll of the Dice,...errr a Tuna?

Butters, I think the boats are still Korean, I was on the Cosmos Kim for a bit, you get use to the food after a bit! Take care of any medical problems before you go if you have any, and its a good idea to get any dental work don't before you go. Have enough money to get you home, the boats will toss you off on some Island not Guam if they decide they don't like how you fly, have some calling cards, phone calls are expensive when you get out to the islands, I once made a 10 min phone call from Guadalcannal and it cost 120 dollars ! I think the boats have internet access now, I am not sure about that! As for Hansen's be careful, what he says and what he dose are two different things! Just be aware of that and remember one thing on the boat you have no friends- keep in contact with family if you have any, and with luck you will gain about 450 hours of time that might get you out of the purgatory you seem to be in. Above all I don't want to read about you, on the internet , just stay alive and be prepared to say no!

• Like 2

it sucks. Just a scribble gone wild. Challenging the comfortably accepted norms & status quo. Rattling smug cages. Kind of fun in a mischievous way. :ph34r:

Caution - small man rhyming

Red Dust (2) - In the Shadow of the turtle - meditation

:P

Edited by Francis Meyrick
  • Like 2

You know, I've heard of it numerous times, but I've never gotten my hands on a copy.

A few people who I spoke with who have read it, liked it. It's long out of print.

Anybody got a copy to sell me?

:o

people also say there is far more information and scuttlebut available on www.chopperstories.com

However true that may or may not be, it shouldn't take away from the fact that Goshen was the first person to try and address the sky high tuna helicopter accident and fatality rates, by writing about his experiences. I followed along behind, plus it should be noted much of my stuff originally drew heavily on input from more experienced Tuna Heads. Several of whom unselfishly read and encouraged the various drafts I was producing, whilst bouncing around on the Pacific Waves. I like to say "Moggy's Tunaboat Helicopter Manual" just continued an established tradition: the unselfish passing along of information and safety tips to newcomers....

:mellow:

Basically, it reads more like a manual or “procedures” guide rather than a book about the job…

I tried to do both.

But I've always said all input is welcome. If you or anybody wants to add/comment to anything I've documented, feel free. Warmly encouraged.

• 6 months later...

Ok, the E-book version is finally available. People have been asking for that since forever. Here you go: Enjoy! Fly safe.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/588931

Always remember that 'little amber caution light'....!

^_^

• Like 2

Ok, the E-book version is finally available. People have been asking for that since forever. Here you go: Enjoy! Fly safe.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/588931

Always remember that 'little amber caution light'....!

^_^

I read the online version and it was a fantastic read, about time there was an e-book option. It'll be a bestseller in no time!

• Like 1

Thanks Tom! Yeah, I was getting chewed on to get this done. Next up is E-booking 'Blip on the Radar' (probably two volumes), 'Helicopters and Humans', 'Cops & Robbers', the two novels....

and I was hoping one day to write a sci-fi novel. And a sequel for the first novel. Oh, well.

I'm delighted you enjoyed it, and that, frankly, has always been the reward in itself. Fly safe...

:D

• Like 2

Ha-ha..! :rolleyes:

Well... 'Helicopters and Humans' is a long running series now, that started as a scribble, the way they all do, and you can access those yarns (99 per cent true, I swear) on www.chopperstories.com and scrolling down to Section C). They were written specifically to appeal to the non-technical reader. The armchair helicopter pilot as it were. The same for "Blip on the Radar" see section B. Which sticks to Tunaboat helicopter flying, but avoids too much technical. Just a wander down memory lane, looking at different cultures, people, staying alive, humility, attitudes, and the inevitable sharp and sudden lessons I learned. I also did some gentle fun-poking at some different... um.... 'beliefs'. Some of the stories have been downloaded thousands of times, and that surprised me to where we installed a visitors' counter a few years back.

Lyn & Lynette Burk of the premier Helicopter website in the world ('Just Helicopters') (and this website, Vertical Reference) (I had to put that plug in, right? :ph34r: ) kindly invited me to contribute on their site, and that has become 'Moggy's Musings' (Lyn's idea, much to my amusement), and you can find them by Googling 'Moggy's Musings'.

424321_366916160043281_492750056_n_zpskl

So I've never really taken it all that serious, just a blog running amok. I've been criticized for not putting stuff into e-books, so thanks to my older brother Paul (much smarter than me) (doesn't take much) we are finally making some headway.

I guess I feel that underneath the 'perfect pilot' who has 'no fear' and 'does everything right' there lurks the true, fallible human. Flesh and blood. I think I sort of react against something of an industry trend to try and create the infallible 'plastic pilot' who is 'super man' and never makes mistakes. Never, ever. The mischievous avatars (dog playing on a skateboard) (Pakistani gentleman with the outrageous turban, meditating) reflect a slight anti-establishment rebellious streak.

To my simple way of thinking, we strive for excellence by never forgetting that people are feeling creatures. With lives.

2w9XXXqFFpgdljs7JD11eX4eo1_500.jpg

Some of the abuse, the yelling, the screaming that goes on in some so-called 'training establishments' or Manager's Offices has left me a little jaundiced. Too many Sky Gods full of themselves. A good Pilot steps back, I think, and reflects. Quietly. Especially when he sees his friends get killed. How many times have I seen that, in helicopters, fixed wing and aerobatics?

How many times have I gone to a quiet place, in my thoughts, and said to myself:

"Christ...! Francis... He was a better pilot than you. He knew more. He had flown more. And now he is dead. What... do YOU think YOU know that he DID NOT...?"

And I would slow down. Think.

For me, flying helicopters has been absolutely AWESOME. Been all over the world, seen all sorts of stuff. So it's a never-ending joy to share the happy, the fun, the hilarious and the over-the-top. I have also worked happily under truly great Managers, great humans, whose first question would be:

"What's your side of the story...?"

And they would listen FIRST, calmly, figure out what had happened, and go -100% fairly- from there. One was always left with a great feeling of confidence that "the Boss" was fair. Wise. Calm. and a good listener. You bent over backwards to... get it right.

Contrast that with the screamers in the Helicopter Industry, arrogant, snap judgmental, so-called 'Managers' with grotesquely puffed up egos, who fail to see that the best assets they have are their human ones. They come down the phone, screaming. You are 'guilty' as charged, required to 'prove your innocence'. Frequently abusive, such managers, who think they are God's Gift, contribute to pilot burn out, fatigue, and despondency. Far from promoting Safety, such caricatures are dreaded by everybody. I've seen times were there were waves and waves of pilots quitting, and going elsewhere, or even leaving the industry, and all this at a terrible financial cost. And nobody would say: "Hang on here now... is this the best way to treat PEOPLE...??"

So I like to scribble about anything that interests me, from a slightly renegade point of view.

Enjoy or pillory! It's all the same to me...! Hummmm.....

funny-1_zps436311d0.gif

Fly Safe

Moggy

;)

• Like 1