Bell 206 B2 and B3 Jet Ranger - Flight manual same?

Hey guys and gals,

Can anybody provide any authoritative, verifiable information on the comparison between the Jet Rangers 206BII/206B2 and the 206BIII/206B3? I have and do fly both but I have flight manuals for each and I'm trying to figure out how much, if any or if not all, of the flight manuals are interchangeable.

I'm also wondering: is the 206BII just a 206B that was upgraded to a "B2", and a 206BIII/206B3 just came off the assembly line in the last iteration, which would make the BII and BIII the same thing in essence?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I'm looking for a 206BII RFM in electronic format (PDF) if anybody has one.

Thanks!

Edited by HeliKyler

Hey guys and gals,

Can anybody provide any authoritative, verifiable information on the comparison between the Jet Rangers 206BII/206B2 and the 206BIII/206B3? I have and do fly both but I have flight manuals for each and I'm trying to figure out how much, if any or if not all, of the flight manuals are interchangeable.

I'm also wondering: is the 206BII just a 206B that was upgraded to a "B2", and a 206BIII/206B3 just came off the assembly line in the last iteration, which would make the BII and BIII the same thing in essence?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I'm looking for a 206BII RFM in electronic format (PDF) if anybody has one.

Thanks!

Things were going on during that period of time between the 206BII and 206BIII. Depending on the aircraft’s serial number, these were the most noticeable:

• Increase in tail rotor diameter.

• Repositioning of the fuel filler port to increase fuel capacity.

• Replaced the Chandler Evens (CECO) fuel control with a Bendix fuel control.

• Replaced 250-C20 with an 250-C20B then to the 250-C20J. (See Rolls-Royce TCDS E4CE Note #11 for details: TCDS E4CE Rev.42)

• Increased the internal gross weight from 3,200 to 3,350 pound in accordance with Bell’s supplement type certificate (RFM Supplement 37).

To get detailed information you’ll have to get specific to the serial number of the aircraft, since different modifications are relevant to only certain groups of serial numbers. Also take a look at the Bell 206 TCDS: TCDS H2SW Rev. 48

Aviation Today did an article, link below:

Bell 206: Still Ringing True - A long and proud heritage

Edited by iChris

There have been some progressive changes as Chris says, but you will not find 2 B206 (outside of a company fleet) that are identical. They will all have small differences, reflected in the Supplements section of the RFM. For example:

• Increase in tail rotor diameter.

• Repositioning of the fuel filler port to increase fuel capacity.

• Replaced the Chandler Evens (CECO) fuel control with a Bendix fuel control.

• Replaced 250-C20 with an 250-C20B then to the 250-C20J. (See Rolls-Royce TCDS E4CE Note #11 for details: TCDS E4CE Rev.42)

• Increased the internal gross weight from 3,200 to 3,350 pound in accordance with Bell’s supplement type certificate (RFM Supplement 37).

Our old 206B, serial number in the 700s, had the big tail rotor, the Bendix FCU, the C20B engine, but used a range extender instead of the higher filler cap.

The extra gross weight comes at a price - you are limited to (I think) 75t when above 3200b.

The extra gross weight comes at a price - you are limited to (I think) 75t when above 3200b.

That's correct, limited VNE...

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-22%20at%2010.15.

The STC was limited to the 206A or 206B aircraft that qualified for and were configured with the 65-inch diameter tail rotor. The STC listed eligible aircraft by serial number.

The OP would need to look into the RFM supplements and aircraft maintenance logs to get a handle on what was modified.

STC Number: SR09397RC

Edited by iChris

You can get a complete copy of ALL the records the FAA has on file for your aircraft. The records are in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) on a CD-ROM available from the FAA. There are two sets of files on the CD, one for registration information (registered owners, N-number changes, etc.) and one for airworthiness information (337s on file, etc.).

This was the old (A.K.A.) “Blue Ribbon Package”

FAA Aircraft Certification: How to Request Copies of Aircraft Records

Request Copies of Aircraft Records online.

NOTE: "ALL the records the FAA has on file for your aircraft" means if the information wasn't submitted or wasn't required to be submitted to the FAA it will not be on the CD. In other words, it may not include everything (May not include all 337s, etc.).

Edited by iChris

Redding huh? Flying for Redding Air Service or with PJs?

I'm originally from Red Bluff. Not currently living there though.

Sorry I can't provide any info about the RFMs.

I live in Redding but at the moment I'm working in South Alabama by Ft. Rucker (civilian). I have worked for both PJ and RAS though ;-)

You can get a complete copy of ALL the records the FAA has on file for your aircraft. The records are in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) on a CD-ROM available from the FAA. There are two sets of files on the CD, one for registration information (registered owners, N-number changes, etc.) and one for airworthiness information (337s on file, etc.).

This was the old (A.K.A.) “Blue Ribbon Package”

FAA Aircraft Certification: How to Request Copies of Aircraft Records

Request Copies of Aircraft Records online.

NOTE: "ALL the records the FAA has on file for your aircraft" means if the information wasn't submitted or wasn't required to be submitted to the FAA it will not be on the CD. In other words, it may not include everything (337s, etc.).

This was super helpful, thanks!

That's correct, limited VNE...

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-22%20at%2010.15.

The STC was limited to the 206A or 206B aircraft that qualified for and were configured with the 65-inch diameter tail rotor. The STC listed eligible aircraft by serial number.

The OP would need to look into the RFM supplements and aircraft maintenance logs to get a handle on what was modified.

At 3200 lbs. plus in a Jet Ranger... how much more than 78 KIAS are you going to really get anyhow? I wouldn't call it that costly.

Ummm...if you have both flight manuals, make yourself a coffee and sit down and compare them page by page?

The reason for this query in the first place was that I have one in paper (B2 standard, no serial number-specific STCs or supplements) and one electronic (B3 plus many/most popular supplements). I'd really just like to keep using the B3 one that I have on my iPad but that's why I wanted to investigate first.

Ok. So the supplement(thanks ichris) says for serial number 2212 and after (or earlier serial numbers if modified).

The stc says serial number 5101 and after.

So which serial number do you go with.

There is no conflict; you're only looking at the cover page base description.

Description of the Type Design Change:

Increase in takeoff weight from 3200 lbs to 3350 lbs for Bell 206B, serial numbers 5101 and subsequent.

You need to open and read the full text in the actual STC document under the heading, “Aircraft effectivity is as follows”.

Edited by iChris