Early Arrival to Rucker Question

My BOLC report date is January, but my wife and I are moving to Enterprise early July. She's got a job lined up and I'll be... who knows, (bouncing, washing R22's and Cessnas in Dothan, what ever).

A buddy of mine is an 8 year SF vet who told me I should show up and let someone know I've arrived in the area and am free to begin training if they, by some bureaucratic miracle, develop an opening.

My question is this, if I were to do that, who would I want to go talk to? A contact would be greatly appreciated, an office or idea would be good too.

Bolc means lieutenant I assume? You would just report to whomever your orders say to report to... Then the student management office for the company you are in will try to place you in a class early if possible. However, if it's not possible, prepare for side details and stuff until you get into class

Edited by Yamer

Yep new LT, How could they put me on detail's? Would they have me start in-processing immediately?

... would they start paying me early? That'd be great haha

Make sure you read your orders carefully, when my older son went his orders said in bold letters "Do not report prior to XXXX" You may want to make a phone call to your contact person before you show up on base.

Just curious, have you received your orders yet, younger son is still waiting for his.

They could potentially move you up and start paying you early and make you active early and everything else... Along with details... Or they could say go away until your date on your orders... Only way to know for sure is to show up and ask and find out...

Make sure you read your orders carefully, when my older son went his orders said in bold letters "Do not report prior to XXXX" You may want to make a phone call to your contact person before you show up on base.

Just curious, have you received your orders yet, younger son is still waiting for his.

No still waiting on mine, a buddy of mine from the same school actually, we Texans are pretty badass/desirable ;) , got his orders already, his date is in September I believe. When I spoke to my admin guy, he said not to expect them for quite a while. I told him I need them to buy a house and he said he would make a call and try to expedite for me but no promises. If that helps at all Tradewinds.

Ah I see. Well I'm about to be a newly commissioned lieutenant. So I'll show up needing a place to stay ASAP if I haven't already arranged before arrival, which isn't ideal.

If you decide to make use of on base housing, you can talk with the management company, they have a Roommate service that can connect you to others looking for a roommate. If you choose this path you would not need to use your entire BAH and would be able to keep a portion each month.

I assume your coming from ROTC, WP grads have it a bit easier finding a roommate because they are all coming from the same school. You might find some other boards to post on and see if there is anyone going to Rucker around the same time.

I appreciate that tip. I'm looking into staying off post though. I might try accessing some other boards like redditt to see what I can dig up. This discussion board has been pure gold for me as I head into military career. I got a very informative packet from the on post housing that was helpful but I have my mind set on staying off post.

• 7 months later...

I'm going to rephrase my question. This is for anyone prior service, coming from NG or civilian status: Am I able to move my family down to the Ft. Rucker area, prior to starting/completing WOCS, and be reembersed for the moving expenses once I have graduated WOCS?