Helicopter pilots and pilots in general, a secretive bunch?

I might not be the only one here, but it seems as though pilots are kind of hard to run into, or in some cases, not too open about discussing any part of their job.
I live near an active air force base and while I see and run into many airmen, the pilots(mainly C130s and V-22s out of here) tend to be harder to spot.
You'd think with that sort of activity, there would be at least some sort of flying, or aviation club around(something I'd be gladly to get involved in to sort of make my life less boring).
But, like the area I used to live in, just your typical, car-club/Harley gang night-life(not trying to turn this into a "my town blows" rant, but just making some observations).
And of course the few times I have run into actual pilots, they were about as closed-off as I thought they would be.

They didn't even appear to be busy at the time as these were some bicycle-polo games I was helping some nets and cones up at.

It seems as far as getting any, non-internet feedback for piloting in general goes, I run across more coldness than I care to think back on.
Maybe it's a God-complex that comes along after going through the rigors of getting where they currently are in life.

Who knows.

• Like 1

No disrespect intended. But what are you looking for wanting to meet pilots? You mention "to sort of make my life less boring". Are you looking for a buddy or a career?

In prior posts, you expressed a desire to learn how to fly. This forum is chock full of pilots who have been very open with you and others wanting to get into flying. So getting info and advice is not a problem.

Military guys tend to hang with their own while in the service. Maybe this is a good fit for you to join up. Or, how about taking some private lessons and you'll meet other new pilots in your same situation.

I love talking about flying with other pilots. I hate talking about it with people who aren't. It's easier to just say that I'm a machine operator and leave it at that. It's more fun to talk about something else that people can better relate to.

I've also noticed that a lot of guys like to fly under the radar and try to blend in. Probably because of the fact that the nature of your job makes you an outsider everywhere you go. The lower profile you keep the less looks you get from the locals.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

Of course I still want to fly.

But while I've found all sorts of useful advice here from y'all, the biggest thing still holding me back is the money and fear of relocating and taking a pay cut in the process.

It seems when I talk to regular people about doing this, they all either laugh it off, or give me the same cols shoulder.

I guess apart from finding different ways to finance it, I feel as though I'm basically a loner in this pursuit.

At the same time, the move from farm country and back towards Phoenix might be the only thing that lifts my spirits some.

As far as the "joining up" goes, I should've done that when I was in my teens/early 20s.

I almost did when I was 16, but of course I was too heavy and was also on mental meds at the time.

Now with my eye sight deteriorated and up near the cut off age, no college degree either, I feel as though it's a lost cause what with the stories I read over in the appropriate forum.

Last thing I need to do is join the army with high hopes of getting into flight training and then end up infantry or some other macho thing.(no disrespect to those that did, I just don't picture myself as a tough guy).

So it's all just a waiting/collecting game for now

A degree is absolutely not necessary, though there are jobs that will want to see it. You can have a good career without one, if you wish.

If you want to meet pilots, bars may not be your best choice. Try online forums such as this, or go get involved with Civil Air Patrol. Get involved with the aircraft Owners and Pilots association and the online forum, or experimental aircraft association and attend local meetings.

Many pilots are married and spend their time with their families, rather than hanging out in bars. Others are younger, newer, and poorer, and spend their time at the airport or in a joint crash pad saving their money for top ramen noodles and cooiaid.

Bear in mind that the hardest part of flying is paying for it; pilots are largely those who managed to pay for it (or in the case of the military, get someone else to pay for it). We're not really a special breed; more just a group of people who share a common interest to some degree. Personally, I'd rather hang out with some other demographic. For now you can talk to plots right here.

Hang out at a flight school, bring donuts and coffee and you'll make all the friends you can handle.

If someone asks me if I'm a pilot when I'm out and about I generally don't want to talk to strangers about it because it's always the same questions I've answered a million times.

• Like 1

Godlike complex? Maybe they already have friends? I don't go hang out places to meet people who want to pick my brain about flying. I talk plenty about flying while Im at work with the "guys". When I get home.... Im to the point where I don't need to sit and think about it 24/7. I have other hobbies that have nothing to do with flying. Like..... doing dishes, mowing the yard, washing the car. Or my latest.... scuba diving.

The best advice is from Azhigher..... go hang out at a flight school or an airport cafe. Secondly, what avbug said. I was in Civil Air Patrol for several years and flew quite a bit. If you want to talk about flying..... joining CAP will get you your fill for sure.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

A degree is absolutely not necessary, though there are jobs that will want to see it. You can have a good career without one, if you wish.

If you want to meet pilots, bars may not be your best choice. Try online forums such as this, or go get involved with Civil Air Patrol. Get involved with the aircraft Owners and Pilots association and the online forum, or experimental aircraft association and attend local meetings.

Many pilots are married and spend their time with their families, rather than hanging out in bars. Others are younger, newer, and poorer, and spend their time at the airport or in a joint crash pad saving their money for top ramen noodles and cooiaid.

Bear in mind that the hardest part of flying is paying for it; pilots are largely those who managed to pay for it (or in the case of the military, get someone else to pay for it). We're not really a special breed; more just a group of people who share a common interest to some degree. Personally, I'd rather hang out with some other demographic. For now you can talk to plots right here.

I actually don't go to bars and don't drink much any more thanks to it being a major factor in gout control.

I've seen a few captains and a major over at Albertsons, but generally kept to my own business as it was from side-view.

As for the rest of the advice, I'll stick to that path.

Kind of wish there were more flight schools around locally though.

So far, the only place that still looks doable for me is the Phoenix area as I mentioned before.

Florida's too in danger of being inundated and Oregon/Washington are just too green and cloudy for my taste.

How they have so many helicopter flight schools concentrated in Grunge-Rock land is still a mystery to me.

As far as socializing with people involved in my line of work, it too is a bit of a disappointment.

There are a few interesting truckers out there, but the most of them are either into strippers or loud motorcycles.

The country-boy stereotype is alive and well with most of this bunch!!

The eastern halves of WA and OR are neither green nor cloudy. There's a few flight schools east of the cascades. Especially if you include sw ID in your search.

Nice during the Summer maybe, but I've driven trucks up through there enough times to know that I'd probably end up in the looney bin after not too long.

I'm too much of a desert rat any way.

So go to Phoenix. It's nice there =)

That'll eventually happen I imagine.

I'm not really going to get started on any moves or lessons until after I get my pickup truck paid off and possibly sold.

Felt like I was "peer-pressured" into getting that and now I kick myself every day for incurring that "debt drag".

Nice enough area to use a bicycle for everyday transport and the roads to me seem easy enough to navigate using that and maybe the bus every few times.

That and the sunny weather similar to what I experienced in the CA desert are enough to keep me there for awhile.

As costly as this endeavor's going to be, I figure it's time to trim way back on expenses in order to dedicate any extra, work-generated funds to the cause.

And if I have to chase future helicopter job leads after the initial sets of training; back-packing, folding bicycle, and Greyhounding it again.