The end is near.....

Also, write more in your posts so we can pick it apart further.

I had almost nothing to go on. I did what I could gents

With friends, allies, encouragement, support, comrades, spiritual sustenance.... like that...

WHO THE FRICK NEEDS A CYNIC...??

Poor fish newbie poster. Okay, let me provide the ammo. I'll sacrifice myself. I'll make myself the butt of jokes. How about:

I have paid my $ and am now on my way to becoming an Instructor, from ground zero God help us all!!!! I have been bitten....lol

Awesome! Congrats! Good luck! May the air flow around your blades smoothly and for many decades! May you father many happy little tip vortices! May you contribute mightily to the depletion of the Ozone layer! May you too support fossil fuels! I wish you many dollars spent on occupying a loose and temporary formation of well abused rotating parts!

See, guys? See? Just a simple little support for a new guy. It's not that hard. Uh-huh.

-_-

• Like 2

I only paid for the private upfront.

Had my first hour of airtime today. Instructor had me controlling cyclic, pedals, and collective after the first 20 minutes. Not a smooth flight but I'm still alive......

Hovering I had the cyclic only and lets just say no bueno. I think I had it still for no more than 10 seconds. Felt like I was an out of control pendulum . Passed controls over more than I want to admit. It looks so easy when my instructor did it. I either adjust way too little too late or way too much too soon.

Sorry for the delay; lots of studying

Pick away......

Nobody hovers first try, because you don't really know what you are trying to achieve - and sometimes the newby instructor doesn't teach it properly;

You are trying to control the attitude out the front.

Forget about keeping a blade of grass steady in the chin bubble. Just remember where in the window the horizon was when the instructor handed over, and whenever it moves away from that spot, FIX IT!

You will move around a bit while this happens - whenever the horizon has moved, the aircraft will also start to move, but if you bring the horizon back to where it should be, the movement will coast to a stop and you are in a new position. Don't sweat trying to get back to where you were hovering, just work on recognising that the attitude is different, and fixing it.

Once that is under control (3 or 4 hours) you can then introduce attitude changes yourself to make the machine move and put it back to where it should be. You will be hovering.

But the absolute primary control for hovering is the pedals - if you can't control where you are pointing, then the attitude and then the height will be all wrong and it turns to worms.

When the cockpit is full of worms,

STOP THE TURN! (pedals) Make it point.

GET IT FLAT (cyclic)- keep the horizon level and at the right spot in the window, then,

FIX THE HEIGHT (collective)- you will have climbed.

Lotsa luck.

Edited by Eric Hunt

The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. Regarding hovering, remember to direct your eyesight out in front of you 50 feet or so, not directly down at the ground. Boy, now I am getting excited remembering back when I was in your seat. Take care.

Edited by Carpenter

Good job…. Keep at it….. Remember to relax and above all, have fun…..

After Pvt, only pay in $1000 increments. This is to protect you and your investment and, don't let the school tell you otherwise...... You are the customer....

• Like 2

Thanks Spike.

Today was hovering practice only. Started with cyclic and progressed to cyclic and collective. Bounced it twice, managed to get a decent hover of 15 seconds or so a few times and went out of control on the pendulum about 20 times. Instructor said for a second time trying to hover it was above average. That being said, I doubt it!!!!!

Thanks Spike.

Today was hovering practice only. Started with cyclic and progressed to cyclic and collective. Bounced it twice, managed to get a decent hover of 15 seconds or so a few times and went out of control on the pendulum about 20 times. Instructor said for a second time trying to hover it was above average. That being said, I doubt it!!!!!

What a waste of time in the second lesson. You should be out doing airwork. S&L, medium turns, climbs & descents to build attitude recognition and control touch.

What school are you at?

Is hovering lesson two in the PVT. syllabus?

• Like 1

Am I the only one here who was handed all controls at once from the beginning on rather than one at a time?

Yes.

And hovering will come in time. Just think about years from now when you've made it, and you're reading this forum on your 7 days off and you don't even think about flying anymore because it's second nature. Yeah, that'll be cool.

Ok, I must admit that I had the great advantage of initial training in a 269. So the hovering was not all that difficult really. Although I did find it weird to sit relaxed and straight because the collective in the 269 is a bit short for my physique. After the first two or three lessons my left shoulder hurt for a week. Boy was it comfy once I had transitioned into the 206.

So, I am done with 5 hours of flight. My hovering is getting there slow but sure. I no longer hand over control nearly as much when I get to swinging. Instructor lets me figure it out on my own. I do tend to have issue with yaw however, mostly forgetting left pedal when needed or just not pushing enough. I have landed during hover practice twice as well(totally not planned but very well done....lol) After landing the second time I did get to lift off to hover which I did manage. I am starting to relax more so the fun is really amping up.

Pick away

• Like 2

So, I am done with 5 hours of flight. My hovering is getting there slow but sure. I no longer hand over control nearly as much when I get to swinging. Instructor lets me figure it out on my own. I do tend to have issue with yaw however, mostly forgetting left pedal when needed or just not pushing enough. I have landed during hover practice twice as well(totally not planned but very well done....lol) After landing the second time I did get to lift off to hover which I did manage. I am starting to relax more so the fun is really amping up.

Pick away

Internet lesson one... We ALWAYS meant to do it if it was awesome... If something broke or if it wasn't cool, then it was clearly the instructors fault for interfering.

• Like 3