Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

This never ending thread is almost 3 months old, and I have a question for it. Is there any significance to which shoulder on your flight suit you put the American flag?

The significance is based on whether it's a US led mission or a foreign or coalition mission.

If we both make the November board, I think I'll just give up if he gets selected and I don't.

Actually, knowing my luck, we'll be stick buddies, and get the same duty station, same platoon, and get houses next door.

I can't help but wonder if he's different in real life.

• Like 1

If we both make the November board, I think I'll just give up if he gets selected and I don't.

Actually, knowing my luck, we'll be stick buddies, and get the same duty station, same platoon, and get houses next door.

One can only hope that people like this only exist online! However I have seen my fair share of people, in all rates, that just make you wonder how they made it through basic.

One can only hope that people like this only exist online! However I have seen my fair share of people, in all rates, that just make you wonder how they made it through basic.

So in the infantry world, we generally just assigned the turds to headquarters platoon, or pushed up to battalion to be on the TAC or something. How does that work in aviation units?

The significance is based on whether it's a US led mission or a foreign or coalition mission.

Holy snot I actually learned something in this thread... Never knew it could be somewhere besides the right shoulder...

Hey if you live next door you could trade running shoes. I hear he has some really good ones...

i'm not sure when the cutoff is but going to try to get packet submitted for sept selection board....but i dunno thats not far away and i still have to get my letters essay etc in but i should have one ltr by early next week. I still need stamp for flt phys too and to get my pt up but i'm going to give it a shot so we will see

Shindig,

The board convenes 13 Sep if the standard 10 day rule applies than you have to have everything done NLT 03 Sep. That gives you less than 3 weeks to find two additional letters, write your "Why I want to be an Army Aviator" letter, and sit a battalion board. If you don't have any leads, the LOR alone could take a month. On top of that if you have someone or multiple people edit your "Why" letter, which I would highly suggest, it will likely take several weeks. Then once your packet is complete you have to schedule a battalion board and depending on your area that may take a while, officers don't sit around all day waiting to interview candidates. You may be able to get it done but I would bet dollars to donuts the board will be able to tell it was rushed. Your best bet, especially with very little if anything that sets you out from the crowd, is to wait for the November board and make sure the letters you do get are well written and the rest of your packet is flawless. Just the advice of a fellow candidate so take it for what its worth.

Rakkasanvet,

I wouldn't know I'm in the intel community. Maybe someone else can chime in for aviation but depending on how bad they are we send the people who just don't perform cranking (usually kitchen staff) or we re-class them.

squid ok thanks for the info...i thought my recruiter sends my packet to be selected when im all done...or is that what the battalion is? yeah i dont think i'm going to make it for sept but that may be good bc i can improve my pt more and get better ltrs which could help me

The kid has a goal and is working toward it. I can teach almost anybody how to fly, but I don't know any way of teaching somebody to be goal oriented and industrious. I'll take one hard working jerk over a hundred beautiful, intelligent, lazy prima donnas.

It's interesting that remarks by a kid in a forum of warrior aviators gets them so agitated...

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

I feel like you have to take this thread with a grain of salt. Something to remember is that many in this and other threads about the WOFT process are the civilian equivalent of student pilots, or pilots with their first "real" flying job. Not all, but many, and just like myself and just about every other pilot I know I fully expect their views and thoughts to change in one way or another once they get more time and perhaps more jobs under their belt.

It just seems to be the normal way of things in my experience. Your views may vary.

its like we're all in a room playing army and dad just walked in and said be quiet.... Not fair dad, not fair...

I agree though Wally, I just don't want to fly with either of those personality spectrums... Is there a happy middle?

• Like 1

The kid has a goal and is working toward it. I can teach almost anybody how to fly, but I don't know any way of teaching somebody to be goal oriented and industrious. I'll take one hard working jerk over a hundred beautiful, intelligent, lazy prima donnas.

It's interesting that remarks by a kid in a forum of warrior aviators gets them so agitated...

Doesn't get me agitated. I find him humorous. I'm not offended by his remarks at all. I just don't consider him to be a serious candidate for the program.

Just because someone likes helicopters doesn't make them goal oriented. Plenty of people want to fly in the Army. That doesn't mean they have the prerequisites or maturity to be an officer. His comments and lack of physical fitness reflect more of a dreamer mentality than someone who has done their homework on the program.

As I said earlier, I believe his best course of action is enlisting into something aviation related. Knock out some college, get NCO and then apply. There are plenty of civilians (Lindsey) who can bypass the enlisted route but they have attributes and a demonstrated leadership ability before applying. I just don't see that in this guy.

I wish him luck in the up coming boards but I just think he might be getting in a little over his head.

• Like 1

We need to be the ones to look deep within ourselves and ask the real tough, serious questions here. Otherwise we may never have the answers we seek about shindig.

Questions like, If Shindig were to get on a treadmill dressed as an airplane, assuming he keeps up with the treadmill, will he take off?

• Like 6

We need to be the ones to look deep within ourselves and ask the real tough, serious questions here. Otherwise we may never have the answers we seek about shindig.

Questions like, If Shindig were to get on a treadmill dressed as an airplane, assuming he keeps up with the treadmill, will he take off?

HAHAHA oh man. You read that other group too much ;)

...says the pot to the kettle.