Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

I was an Army aviator...retired after I got my Master Wings....was dual rated, an instructor pilot In many things and got my BS degree before I retired.....I was a WO and then took a Commission (wish I hadn't done that!!) After retirement I went on to fly corporate stuff...some helos and turboprops, but mostly jets as the pay is generally better.

So..being a pilot was good to me, but I have buddies from my enlisted days (same MOS or guys that I worked with who had other MOSes in the "spooky" business for four years) that went on to good careers. It all depends upon what your goals (career-wise) in life are. The Army (and other branches) do offer a lot of interesting career paths that are viable in the civilian world if you don't intend to make the military you career......and even then you will likely hafta have something to do after you retire!! One thing I will say is that if you have an opportunity to get a diploma, certificate, license or some kind of a degree while you are in...DO IT!! You never know when one of those things will be a (THE) discriminator that puts you above others in some selection process in either the military or civilian worlds.

If that is your attitude, please dont even submit a packet. I wouldnt want you flying next to me. Getting a woft slot is extremely difficult and you will be alongside people who work day in and day out to be nothing but the best. Do some homework about army aviation and then come back.

I flew in the Army and some of my classmates switched over to the Air Force after completing their first tour. They all did EXTREMELY WELL in the Air force due to being not the typical whiny AF pilot and having a good attitude. DO NOT BELIEVE all the BS you hear about the AF being all so much better/harder/advanced than the Army!! You should hear all the negative stuff they have to say about the mindset in AF aviation!! (and that is in spite of them having retired from the AF. (They DO HAVE some funny stories about wearing their Army wings while in AF flight school!) In my second career as a corporate pilot I flew with a fair number of ex-AF pilots and while there, of course, are some good pilots coming out of the AF, there are some that will have you shaking you head and wondering how they ever managed to get through ANY flight school!!

• Like 1

Just wait til you get a flight phys at Rucker. Some of the doctors dont discriminate based on age ;)

Bring it on! If a finger up the a$$ gets me into a helicopter, I'd pay for the privilege. Now, I'm an RN and have stuck my finger up my fair share of a$$ holes so, maybe I have a different perspective on this kind of stuff...always good to know both sides. I just hope the docs take off their college class rings first...

• Like 1

Don't know about the all volunteer Army of today (old guy leans back) but back in the day, soljers was just meat as far as the medical types were concerned. I stood in endless lines naked all day, without a second thought or glance.

PS as far as the finger thing, it gets worse as your hair gets grey...

• Like 2

Don't know about the all volunteer Army of today (old guy leans back) but back in the day, soljers was just meat as far as the medical types were concerned. I stood in endless lines naked all day, without a second thought or glance.

PS as far as the finger thing, it gets worse as your hair gets grey...

Sir,did you serve in vietnam? how old are you if you dont mind me asking

Sir,did you serve in vietnam? how old are you if you dont mind me asking

Yes, high school flight school, Vietnam.

No problem, if you're careful and lucky you'll get to be my age- 66.

Edited by Wally

ok so i got through my batt interview but i got totally frozen for a few secs when they asked me to tell me something about myself....i honestly wasnt sure what to say at first so i just told them about my hs days and some of my jobs in the past....I thought i prepared for it but the case qs like tell me what you did to solve a prob, etc i had to really think about.,I didnt get my scores yet...is that normal? My recruiter said dont worry I prob did fine and any news right away prob means its not good news so i think i will be ok im not too worried about it

ok so i got through my batt interview but i got totally frozen for a few secs when they asked me to tell me something about myself....i honestly wasnt sure what to say at first so i just told them about my hs days and some of my jobs in the past....I thought i prepared for it but the case qs like tell me what you did to solve a prob, etc i had to really think about.,I didnt get my scores yet...is that normal? My recruiter said dont worry I prob did fine and any news right away prob means its not good news so i think i will be ok im not too worried about it

I take it you did not read the Battalion Board Interview thread that is pinned at the top of this forum? That is the number one most common interview question.

• Like 2

Well since you still haven't met the minimum for push-ups, I can't imagine that you received a favorable score.

hey dbarqs i guess i was lucky bc recruiter gave me a little bump on my p ups score B)

still waiting on my batt board scores

I take it you did not read the Battalion Board Interview thread that is pinned at the top of this forum? That is the number one most common interview question.

lindsey no i didnt see the interview qs on here ..i should have tho my mistake but i did look at some practice qs from google before i met w board

I'm convinced this is a troll post. While one side of me wants to cease feeding said troll, the other side is slightly entertained. This thread has been a good laugh in times of boredom.

• Like 1

hey dbarqs i guess i was lucky bc recruiter gave me a little bump on my p ups score B)

still waiting on my batt board scores

REALLY?! You've got to be kidding me? If this is true, then you just openly admitted, on a forum full of members of the Army, to cheating on a physical fitness test! Not only should you not be allowed to apply for WOFT, but since you lack obvious integrity, you shouldn't even be allowed in the military! What made you think that this would be okay?
  • Like 2

REALLY?! You've got to be kidding me? If this is true, then you just openly admitted, on a forum full of members of the Army, to cheating on a physical fitness test! Not only should you not be allowed to apply for WOFT, but since you lack obvious integrity, you shouldn't even be allowed in the military! What made you think that this would be okay?

i didnt ask him to do anything he just did it ...i dunno maybe he just wanted to put an end to it bc i took the pt with him 5 or 6 times and just wanted to get me over the hump