Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

Additionally, work on your spelling/grammar. With all of the free resources available online, that's an easy and valuable improvement that will help you in whatever career you end up pursuing.

The Army can even pay for the majority of your college while you're in without using your G.I. Bill. Something to really consider if you're serious.

The enlisted route would just hold him back. This kid has a skill set in high demand in the warrant officer corps. Promote immediately to WO1!

always kinda looked up to you, not sure anymore imho

always kinda looked up to you, not sure anymore imho

I'm not here to get your respect. We, being current and former Army Aviators, have told you several times the path to take. You have been told you lack maturity and the necessary experience to get picked up in this program. You have ignored this advice because you feel since you filled out a WOFT packet and meet the bare minimums you should get picked up. You think you have what it takes to completely bypass the enlisted route when everything I read of yours screams young, naive, in need of maturing.

You're trying to apply into a program that needs a demonstrated level of leadership and experience from the get go. It's not a program that's designed to take any HS grad and turn them into a professional pilot. High school to flight school Vietnam days are over. The Army can afford to be selective in their screening process these days because they have far fewer openings and far better qualifications on their applicants.

So, for the one millionth time, go enlisted into an aviation field. Pick up NCO, get a pilot's license and knock out some college while you're in. When you reapply, you'll have some background that will make you competitive. Right now, I see someone in over their head. Just the lack of attention to detail on grammar in your posts I see you failing English class in WOCS. If they still even have that.

Good luck to you, I sincerely do hope you stick with it and in time you'll understand that this is a process. One that can't be rushed and one that doesn't always go according to your timeline.

• Like 5

:(

Well, it can happen but the ones who are accepted are standout high school grads.

Trying to compete with enlisted that are a proven entity and civilian applicants with BA / BS degrees and a high level of leadership ability, is a challenge to say the least. It can be done but look at the packets of HS grads who have gotten picked up here. They're not your average 18-19 year olds.

Not saying the Vietnam guys were lesser pilots than today either. They were just pouring people into WOFT then because they had to. Look at it this way, the country's population then was 3/4 of what it is now and they were sending around 575 students per month through Ft Wolters. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out the program has "matured" significantly since then.

I still can't believe this thread is STILL GOING, either. But, as people have pointed out the old HS to Flight School days are gone....it is true. Hey, times change as do "the needs of the Army", not to mention that EVERY soldier is not "suited" to go, nor is everyone unsatisfied with other jobs and interests (thank GOD!). I went a long time ago (hell, I RETIRED more than 24 years ago!), but did have some things help get me there...a good GT score, nearly maxxed the (in those days) FAST test, passed all boards, medicals and PT test with flying colors, was prior enlisted (Army Security Agency), HAD PATIENCE during the application process and knew EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED. Had my FW pilot's license (with Instrument rating) when I went to flight school. Then when I got in managed to graduate as "Distinguished Grad" in my class. Went on to graduate college with honors and later took a direct commission. Flew both FW and RW and was PIC in both at the same time....often flew them both on the same day which I don't think they allow now days (right?), was an IP and a Safety Officer at various times.

Would I want to do it NOW? Well, YES. Am I sure I could get to flight school in now? Well, no.... but I damned sure would give it my best shot.....And, it later all led me to a good second career flying corporate jets and helicopters during which time I flew good equipment. made good money, had a ball and got to see a large part of the world I hadn't seen before.

My opinion on getting in to Flight School is to GO FOR IT. Everyone isn't going to make it in and (at least in the old days) the washout rate was very high (my class started out with 45 people, 15 of whom graduated with us), but nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say!! I wish everyone willing to make the effort GOOD LUCK!!!!!

PS...may this thread just die in peace!!!

You have ignored this advice because you feel since you filled out a WOFT packet and meet the bare minimums you should get picked up.

Uh, no. This individual did not, repeat, did NOT meet minimum standards and speculated here about it.

I still can't believe this thread is STILL GOING, either. But, as people have pointed out the old HS to Flight School days are gone....it is true. Hey, times change as do "the needs of the Army", not to mention that EVERY soldier is not "suited" to go, nor is everyone unsatisfied with other jobs and interests (thank GOD!). I went a long time ago (hell, I RETIRED more than 24 years ago!), but did have some things help get me there...a good GT score, nearly maxxed the (in those days) FAST test, passed all boards, medicals and PT test with flying colors, was prior enlisted (Army Security Agency), HAD PATIENCE during the application process and knew EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED. Had my FW pilot's license (with Instrument rating) when I went to flight school. Then when I got in managed to graduate as "Distinguished Grad" in my class. Went on to graduate college with honors and later took a direct commission. Flew both FW and RW and was PIC in both at the same time....often flew them both on the same day which I don't think they allow now days (right?), was an IP and a Safety Officer at various times.

Would I want to do it NOW? Well, YES. Am I sure I could get to flight school in now? Well, no.... but I damned sure would give it my best shot.....And, it later all led me to a good second career flying corporate jets and helicopters during which time I flew good equipment. made good money, had a ball and got to see a large part of the world I hadn't seen before.

My opinion on getting in to Flight School is to GO FOR IT. Everyone isn't going to make it in and (at least in the old days) the washout rate was very high (my class started out with 45 people, 15 of whom graduated with us), but nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say!! I wish everyone willing to make the effort GOOD LUCK!!!!!

PS...may this thread just die in peace!!!

Wait, you took a direct commission from Warrant to commissioned (Lt.) ?

Wait, you took a direct commission from Warrant to commissioned (Lt?) ?

Yeah,,,,went direct to 1LT. Got tired of working for some dumb RLO, so I figured I would be that guy. ....I wish I had never done that as they suck your brains out when you pin on the new rank AND you don't get to fly as much. Everyone makes a mistake now and then I guess! Except for the fact that being an RLO made it easy for me to get the FW transition, I should have just stayed a Warrant....would have spent a LOT less time flying a desk and had more fun. May even had stayed past 20 years if I had stayed a Warrant and not gone RLO. As an RLO, I had had all the fun I could stand by the time I hit 20 and just got out as fast as I could.

• Like 2

I'm not here to get your respect. We, being current and former Army Aviators, have told you several times the path to take. You have been told you lack maturity and the necessary experience to get picked up in this program. You have ignored this advice because you feel since you filled out a WOFT packet and meet the bare minimums you should get picked up. You think you have what it takes to completely bypass the enlisted route when everything I read of yours screams young, naive, in need of maturing.

You're trying to apply into a program that needs a demonstrated level of leadership and experience from the get go. It's not a program that's designed to take any HS grad and turn them into a professional pilot. High school to flight school Vietnam days are over. The Army can afford to be selective in their screening process these days because they have far fewer openings and far better qualifications on their applicants.

So, for the one millionth time, go enlisted into an aviation field. Pick up NCO, get a pilot's license and knock out some college while you're in. When you reapply, you'll have some background that will make you competitive. Right now, I see someone in over their head. Just the lack of attention to detail on grammar in your posts I see you failing English class in WOCS. If they still even have that.

Good luck to you, I sincerely do hope you stick with it and in time you'll understand that this is a process. One that can't be rushed and one that doesn't always go according to your timeline.

ok I respect that you hope the best for me and that i stick to it but when you dont like something i do or say why cant you just tell me i need to improve or give me advice instead of using my down falls as a way to poke fun....and btw my skin is plenty thick to take the pokes but thats not my pt

velocity i know have never met but i guess im just disapointed bc i saw you as one of the few on here i could look up to sorta like a father fig type but you have changed some recently and so now i just dont know anymore