Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

My recr took me out for pizza this wknd just to talk about some things before I sign my contract ... which Im going to Meps later this wk....we talked about the brother hood in the Army etc but also talked about some concerns I have with being part of military for first time in my life and being away from my mom who isnt doing well health wise.... will I be able to have any contact with her during boot camp? my recr said no worries I'll be fine but my mom needs attention. Please Im not looking for rude comments so if nothing helpful to say then please dont ... I know there are at least a few on here who are willing to help, thank you

Well the Army is going to keep you away from your mom. Like, far away. You will probably have 3-5 phone calls of about 5-10 minutes each in basic and then when you get to WOCS you'll have maybe 5-8 phone calls of 5-30 minutes each. So besides letters, go ahead and plan on about 17ish weeks of little to no contact with the outside world. The best thing you can do to stay closer to your family and home is not join the military.

• Like 1

CWIL7280 is right..and they do NOT do it on purpose, either. The only way you might have much contact with your mom while you are in flight school is if she is a resident of either Coffee or Dale counties in AL. For me, basic training was so long ago that I can not even comment on the availability/access to a phone.

Maybe right now is not a good time to be away if there is no other family member that can WILLINGLY and RESPONSIBLY shoulder the load, with you giving mostly long distance moral support.

It might be worth it (to you..psychologically especially as you want to have your mind IN IT if you go to Flight school) to talk it over with your mom and any family members that might be able to take most of the load and you can be comfortable and happy with that situation rather than feeling guilty or worried. That might be your best bet if you think attending flight school is in you future. I don't know about how things are no, but the only possibility to get away during flight school MIGHT BE an emergency leave of some kind and that would, pretty much for sure, result in you being set back into a class behind your original class....if they even do/allow that any more nowdays.

• Like 1

My recr took me out for pizza this wknd just to talk about some things before I sign my contract ... which Im going to Meps later this wk....we talked about the brother hood in the Army etc but also talked about some concerns I have with being part of military for first time in my life and being away from my mom who isnt doing well health wise.... will I be able to have any contact with her during boot camp? my recr said no worries I'll be fine but my mom needs attention. Please Im not looking for rude comments so if nothing helpful to say then please dont ... I know there are at least a few on here who are willing to help, thank you

I can't speak to the present Army, my time was 50 years ago and an entirely different US Army.

I think I can talk about personal priorities in life. If your loved ones are not in a situation that you are comfortable being away until the job is done, you should not leave them. Even if they say go, you shouldn't leave if you're not 100% comfortable with arrangements made for family care. Leaving a loved one that needs you can have life altering consequences whatever you intend or whether you anticipate and prepare for events.

SERE??? What's that? Actually I know, it was called "survival, evasion and escape" or something like it way back then. Being captured, etc., wasn't a thing as far as I was concerned. It was the 6 hours crossing a neck deep swamp in darkness so complete you couldn't see the soldier ahead of you- "seasonal stream"! indeed...

After the eventual and inevitable capture, I'm sitting in the interrogation hut, being interrogated, when the staff brought in a classmate from being abused in the yard, All sympathetic, "We're really sorry about that, you can relax now. I bet you're thirsty and exhausted, here's something to drink..." When he was good and comfortable, they just talked and talked- and then they jumped square into his horrified face telling him how he had compromised his classmates... Abuse isn't the worst. Friendly manipulation is worse, a good interrogator can twist your head all around. That was the lesson.

Edited by Wally

Friendly reminder, you signed a nondisclosure agreement if you've been to SERE, not to mention it can hinder the quality of training for people who know what to expect going in. This is probably not the place to be discussing what goes on there.

Shindig...good luck. You're going to need it.

Friendly reminder, you signed a nondisclosure agreement if you've been to SERE, not to mention it can hinder the quality of training for people who know what to expect going in. This is probably not the place to be discussing what goes on there.

Nope...I signed no such thing. Making blanket statements like that is not the thing to be doing lest you don't care about being as a BS artist. I have been through two different SERE courses, but neither one required any such statement (and, granted, one of them WAS pretty much a joke). For one thing, if the SERE course is so static that they have to admit RIGHT OFF THE BAT by getting you to sign something like that....... that they don't want any "info" or G2 getting out, the course is merely a joke and not worth a damned. If today's "G2" is still true next week or next month, the course itself is nothing but a joke. A decent SERE course will be different for each and every group going through a "camp", interrogation, torture and so forth.....no one should EVER have a clue or any "inside dope" on what is going or is not going to happen to them that is true now because it was true last week or last month or last year. So, if the course you attended is/was worth spending effort, time and money on for ANYONE involved, go ahead and talk....the info you spread is VERY PERISHABLE anyway.

Don,

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. BLUF, the first rule about SERE school is you don't talk about SERE school. That fact is especially true on an open forum, where G2 can be picked up by any personnel friendly or otherwise. Guys get kicked out of flight school for running their mouths. I don't doubt you attended a school, or possibly many schools, but current policy is not to speak about the training that goes on there.

Exactly why I kept it so vague. Its honestly better not knowing what will happen going in so you can see how you will react to it without any G2.

• Like 1

Don,

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. BLUF, the first rule about SERE school is you don't talk about SERE school. That fact is especially true on an open forum, where G2 can be picked up by any personnel friendly or otherwise. Guys get kicked out of flight school for running their mouths. I don't doubt you attended a school, or possibly many schools, but current policy is not to speak about the training that goes on there.

Of course you won't get into a pissing contest with me. I do not participate in such sophomoric activity, especially an activity that is usually a sign of two overdeveloped and likely under informed egos clashing. And, you likely are correct about current policy in regards to SERE training given current policy MAKERS' lack of comprehension of things like the current state ff psychology, medical technology, intelligence gathering and the use thereof and REALITY. Current policy is most often DEMONSTRABLY NOT connected with reality, but is only a reflection of current politics, emotion and WAAAYY over developed "PC-ness". Sad, but true.

BTW, in about 1987 I was stationed with a fellow officer who was, at the time a Captain and who also had the family name "America". His rank, combined with his name tag, was the source of many a chuckle and lots of ribbing! He was quartered in my neighborhood, I am not sure where he worked, but he was not an aviator....likely worked at one of the research and/or testing organisations on the combined military areas, of which there were many or maybe the in the ordinance arena.

thanks for the feedback guys... Im just really nervous about some things but excited too.. my recr said it will be a life changer for me to be in the military and fly which is good. But also i'm hoping to have a father figure in the Army who can take me under his wings and make me into a leader that I need to become

Hah yea cwil but hoping not an alcoholic bc ive been through too much of that with my own dad who is distant... hoping for an older father fig when I get to my unit and start flying i guess that's what I mean

I'm just wondering how far can this go?

How hard will it be to pull some boot camp graduation pics off line, wocs pics off line, even flight school?

Could this fake person graduate IERW in three years with enough fake pics?

Hey, man..NO LIMITS given the stuff out there online, coupled with a little "Photoshop" work!!

I'm just wondering how far can this go?

How hard will it be to pull some boot camp graduation pics off line, wocs pics off line, even flight school?

Could this fake person graduate IERW in three years with enough fake pics?

I doubt it could go that far given that many who post here would be at Rucker when shindig is pretending to be there. I'm sure that won't stop him though, I have to give him credit, he has staying power.

BTW, in about 1987 I was stationed with a fellow officer who was, at the time a Captain and who also had the family name "America". His rank, combined with his name tag, was the source of many a chuckle and lots of ribbing! He was quartered in my neighborhood, I am not sure where he worked, but he was not an aviator....likely worked at one of the research and/or testing organisations on the combined military areas, of which there were many or maybe the in the ordinance arena.

Fortunately the screen name isn't related to my real name or rank. It's actually a reference to my second favorite fictional character. Captain America used to be my favorite, but shindig has taken the title.

• Like 1