Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

Ok so I was looking at some different airframes .... Is it true that the apache hours don't translate to civilian flight time or it's not recognized by FAA?

Flying an Apache is useless because you don't have a civilIan equivalent. They can't lift, all they have are guns. You don't see guns on a helicopter outside of the military.

Edit: Apologies, I'm a little sh*t and don't know what I am talking about.

I'm a CW3 AH64D/C12 driver. I was enlisted for 12+ years before applying for WOFT, but I did not become a pilot because "it's cool" or because it was a job others looked highly upon. I became a US Army Aviator strictly to support the ground forces, and the mission. Realities is, I do not enjoy flying. It's no more exhilarating than walking to the curb to check the mail. My job satisfaction comes from directly supporting the soldier/Marine who wakes up every day and thinks of nothing else but shooting an IED emplacer in the face, and yes, the military is full of people who want nothing more than to be a door kicker and trigger puller. There are thousands of people in the military who couldn't care less about the fact that I am a pilot.

You, on the other hand, come across as a pretentious arrogant child, who thinks being a military pilot will earn you a badge of superiority. In my opinion, and this is based off the drivel you have posted in this thread, you have neither the maturity or self confidence required to be an effective aviator in the military. You are searching for a title that will make you feel good about yourself, but nothing more. You want to be that douchebag who sits in the bar and ask everyone you see what they do for a living just so you can tell them about your "cool job".

My advice is for you to pick another career path, because if you come to my unit with an attitude of "I'm better than the enlisted/ground guys because I fly", I will go out of my way to remove that mentality from your thought process..

Flying an Apache is useless because you don't have a civilIan equivalent. They can't lift, all they have are guns. You don't see guns on a helicopter outside of the military.

Glad to know I am useless. I will let every Apache driver I know who has transitioned to civilian flying jobs, that their twin turbine rotary license is useless because they are just "gun pilots".

Can't tell if srs or not

Glad to know I am useless. I will let every Apache driver I know who has transitioned to civilian flying jobs, that their twin turbine rotary license is useless because they are just "gun pilots".

Apologies, I don't know what I am talking about.

Apaches are actually my personal favorite and what I hope to fly, I just considered them less useful in the civilian sector compared to a Blackhawk or Chinook. I'm aware how my post was worded, so if it came off as pretentious or disrespectful, my bad.

I didn't mean to give you the perspective that the Apache's mission is one to disregard or take lightly. I was just coming from the perspective that there were better opportunities outside of the military for the other birds. Which I can see might be false from these replies.

What can I do to improve this situation for the future?

I'm a CW3 AH64D/C12 driver. I was enlisted for 12+ years before applying for WOFT, but I did not become a pilot because "it's cool" or because it was a job others looked highly upon. I became a US Army Aviator strictly to support the ground forces, and the mission. Realities is, I do not enjoy flying. It's no more exhilarating than walking to the curb to check the mail. My job satisfaction comes from directly supporting the soldier/Marine who wakes up every day and thinks of nothing else but shooting an IED emplacer in the face, and yes, the military is full of people who want nothing more than to be a door kicker and trigger puller. There are thousands of people in the military who couldn't care less about the fact that I am a pilot.

You, on the other hand, come across as a pretentious arrogant child, who thinks being a military pilot will earn you a badge of superiority. In my opinion, and this is based off the drivel you have posted in this thread, you have neither the maturity or self confidence required to be an effective aviator in the military. You are searching for a title that will make you feel good about yourself, but nothing more. You want to be that douchebag who sits in the bar and ask everyone you see what they do for a living just so you can tell them about your "cool job".

My advice is for you to pick another career path, because if you come to my unit with an attitude of "I'm better than the enlisted/ground guys because I fly", I will go out of my way to remove that mentality from your thought process..

i reread your post...actually i don't think tesla was trying to offend you ...he/she just used a bad choice of words...useless. But he/she meant useless in terms of civilian transfer not useless like in the military mission...

on another note....I totally respect you for being all about the mission though ... That's awesome man

wow, why don't the apache hours count??

Because all Apache pilots scored in the bottom 10 % of their graduating class. FAA regs explicitly state you must have graduated at least in the top half of your class in order to log civilian time.

Furthermore, they sit tandem, no equivalent tandem civilian aircraft so they can't log it. Plus, sitting tandem...it's just bizarre.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 1

Because all Apache pilots scored in the bottom 10 % of their graduating class. FAA regs explicitly state you must have graduated at least in the top half of your class in order to log civilian time.

wait...are you jokin with the statements above about top 10% of graduating class, etc etc ?? If your not i'm shocked...wow.

Furthermore, they sit tandem, no equivalent tandem civilian aircraft so they can't log it. Plus, sitting tandem...it's just bizarre.

sir, so if your bottom half then you cant log civ flight time for just flight school or for your entire army enlistment?

sir, so if your bottom half then you cant log civ flight time for just flight school or for your entire army enlistment?

Entire enlistment. Check the FARAIM.

Apache pilots aren't good enough (bottom 50%) to carry passengers so their time is no good.

Maybe they can log crew chief time?? or thats only if they fly USAF Apaches they can log "observer" time.

yeah, thats it.

Where's that troll image at? Oh here it is.troll-face.png
Look dude you already blackballed yourself from this community. If you want real answers without Google you're gonna have to go find yourself a real pilot to talk to. Perhaps don't lead with any of the statements you've made here when attempting to strike up a conversation.

I just want everyone to stop sucking up to Lindsey. Made me throw up in my mouth a little. She's like 4'-something (legally a midget) has small hands, and smells like cabbage.

Furthermore, she's malingering at Rucker instead of flying, so of course she has ample time to continue her mentorship empire.

Time to get back in class Lindsey... :)

Mike-

• Like 7

I'm not sure if my life experience is relevant here and I feel somewhat stupid for being baited into responding to this guy, but I hope someone else ever reads this that is a littler more deserving than this kid, hopefully they'll get some use from my comment.

I have applied and been accepted for Navy/Marine Corp and now Army Aviation (Don't ask for the story there). As someone has done that, I can unequivocally tell you that none of them are no more or less harder than the other. They are all literally the same. I honest'y don't even think the application process is all that hard in general, for each of them, you take a flight test, you take a pt test, and then you get some LORs....That's really it! Oh, you fill out some paperwork too...

I will say that each service places a certain emphasis on certain aspects of the total package. Like the Marines, all they cared about was our PT score, everything could have been bare minimums, but if you could bust out a 340 out of 300 PT score...YOU WERE IN! We had a guy who had 2 DUIs get in by the way with that PT score.

The Navy, I felt all they really cared about was the Flight Score and OAR score (It was like an asvab score for officers) and that score could make up for a lot of other crap that was lacking.

I'm not really sure what the flavor of the month is for Army though, I kind of feel like it is having a college degree as an AD enlisted guy, but I really don't know.

As far as acceptance rates, kid, you have no idea what conclusions you can draw from statistics. There were only like 5 SPCs selected on this last board, for a "selection rate" of 10% for SPCs. Does that mean SPCs only have a 10 percent chance of getting picked up? NO, it means most SPCs don't really care to apply to the program and haven't been in long enough to get their proverbial act together.

The Marine Corps would literally throw all their packets against a wall and see what would stick. It really didn't matter what your scores where other than your PT being 240. There was no weeding out until the actual board.

To sum it up kid, I use to be full of piss and vinegar just like you, but even I had some sort of tact, and I at least knew my target audience. So I would quit while you aren't even ahead, but fall even more behind.

• Like 1

I'm the occasional lurker and more so since wantscheck.com decided to go away. I couldn't resist this wonderful discussion <sarcasm> so I'll share my thoughts:

I've been on both sides of the fence; a grunt Army pilot, and through FWQ, made the switch to blue as an A-10 guy. Recently retired O6.

To the youngster: if you're really serious, do yourself a favor and straighten up. It doesn't matter which service you choose, you need to keep a watchful eye for who your audience is. Have some dignity, show some respect, and don't assume that because you're a teenager you get a "free pass". Doesn't work that way, and definitely not in my household. If you're truly serious, PM me and I'll give you some guidance.

To address the aviation (only) selection: I've worked for two and I have very close friendships with those from all. All services share the same goal to protect and serve and no one is "above" another. NO ONE. But each has their culture and philosophy. The Marines tear you down, then build you up. The Air Force prides its officers on being "true gentleman" (some not so much...). So as it relates to aviation selectivity, which is the hardest? In general, the Army is least selective. Back in the 90s, if you had the minimums, including the FAST, you had about a 90% chance of getting in, if not higher. I'm sure it's a little harder now but so is everyone else. There's a reason why the Army, even with the drawdown, doesn't seek out the fresh meat college grad as much and is willing to put old guys through flight school in their mid 30s. Its got less to do with the # of aircraft and the Army's size. There was a period when Army Aviators flocked to FWQ or UPT for 'stuck wing' because that's what most wanted to fly. Notice I say most. Some ex Army guys had an easy transition, but quite a few including me went through a major adjustment period. The AF standard for flying excellence is at a premium while Army aviation makes the soldier and mission priority. Again, no one is "above" the other - they just focus on different aspects. I love everything the Army does and quite frankly, I envy the guys in the trenches who are the backbone of our military. The AF was just more suited to my tastes.

Hope this sheds some light. Cheers to all.

Col H

• Like 1

Does the Post Office pay well? I'm looking for a job...

ok i know your picking on me but actually it does pay pretty well and better than bagging groceries so i decided to go with it...and my time counts towards a gov retirement etc