Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

A PIC and SIC who can't hold hands for the scary parts aren't really a "team", even if they spoon. That's why no Gun Bunny since the UH1 ever grows up well adjusted- separation anxiety. And displaced anger makes'em think blowing stuff up is the answer.

That's also why Apache drivers can't log time for civilian purposes: who knows what really happened? All the witnesses are dead...

Edited by Wally
  • Like 3

Wait a second. Lindsey isn't back up yet? What kind of Mono keeps you grounded for 6 months? Back in my day, anything short of missing a limb and you were out at the flightline flying.

I know what it is. She heard no 60 slots for the next couple of classes so she faked it so she wouldn't be forced into an inferior airframe. Smart girl. Just waiting for the right time to pick the greatest utility helicopter ever made.👍

Edited by Velocity173

Did you forget Lindsey is short... Her short legs require her to get a head start on the PT test run... that way she can finish with the rest and not be days behind. She's actually be running for three days already and should be done soon and then, of course if the upcoming selection meets her approval, she'll select.

Edited by Yamer
  • Like 1

I'm the occasional lurker and more so since wantscheck.com decided to go away. I couldn't resist this wonderful discussion <sarcasm> so I'll share my thoughts:

I've been on both sides of the fence; a grunt Army pilot, and through FWQ, made the switch to blue as an A-10 guy. Recently retired O6.

To the youngster: if you're really serious, do yourself a favor and straighten up. It doesn't matter which service you choose, you need to keep a watchful eye for who your audience is. Have some dignity, show some respect, and don't assume that because you're a teenager you get a "free pass". Doesn't work that way, and definitely not in my household. If you're truly serious, PM me and I'll give you some guidance.

To address the aviation (only) selection: I've worked for two and I have very close friendships with those from all. All services share the same goal to protect and serve and no one is "above" another. NO ONE. But each has their culture and philosophy. The Marines tear you down, then build you up. The Air Force prides its officers on being "true gentleman" (some not so much...). So as it relates to aviation selectivity, which is the hardest? In general, the Army is least selective. Back in the 90s, if you had the minimums, including the FAST, you had about a 90% chance of getting in, if not higher. I'm sure it's a little harder now but so is everyone else. There's a reason why the Army, even with the drawdown, doesn't seek out the fresh meat college grad as much and is willing to put old guys through flight school in their mid 30s. Its got less to do with the # of aircraft and the Army's size. There was a period when Army Aviators flocked to FWQ or UPT for 'stuck wing' because that's what most wanted to fly. Notice I say most. Some ex Army guys had an easy transition, but quite a few including me went through a major adjustment period. The AF standard for flying excellence is at a premium while Army aviation makes the soldier and mission priority. Again, no one is "above" the other - they just focus on different aspects. I love everything the Army does and quite frankly, I envy the guys in the trenches who are the backbone of our military. The AF was just more suited to my tastes.

Hope this sheds some light. Cheers to all.

Col H

sir,

let me first start off by saying im grateful that your willing to help me out ... Its not often that someone of your caliber would be willing ....thanks a ton. I know I'm new to all this but i really would like to be a pilot in our great military ... just by being on this forum I've learned a lot already and have appreciated more about How the Army conducts itself and its mission ... And yes as you say they have lots of backbone. Id fly anything to be honest but maybe you can help me decide, since it seems you have lot of years on you and experience.

my apologies for some of my comments before...I just got a little carried away and I know its important to be a gentleman and nice to the ladies ....and Im sorry to the Ms. Lindsy on here ...it sounds shes very respected by others

So Ill leave it at that for now and I look forward to any more advice you can give me ...thanks so much

I'm the occasional lurker and more so since wantscheck.com decided to go away. I couldn't resist this wonderful discussion <sarcasm> so I'll share my thoughts:

I've been on both sides of the fence; a grunt Army pilot, and through FWQ, made the switch to blue as an A-10 guy. Recently retired O6.

To the youngster: if you're really serious, do yourself a favor and straighten up. It doesn't matter which service you choose, you need to keep a watchful eye for who your audience is. Have some dignity, show some respect, and don't assume that because you're a teenager you get a "free pass". Doesn't work that way, and definitely not in my household. If you're truly serious, PM me and I'll give you some guidance.

To address the aviation (only) selection: I've worked for two and I have very close friendships with those from all. All services share the same goal to protect and serve and no one is "above" another. NO ONE. But each has their culture and philosophy. The Marines tear you down, then build you up. The Air Force prides its officers on being "true gentleman" (some not so much...). So as it relates to aviation selectivity, which is the hardest? In general, the Army is least selective. Back in the 90s, if you had the minimums, including the FAST, you had about a 90% chance of getting in, if not higher. I'm sure it's a little harder now but so is everyone else. There's a reason why the Army, even with the drawdown, doesn't seek out the fresh meat college grad as much and is willing to put old guys through flight school in their mid 30s. Its got less to do with the # of aircraft and the Army's size. There was a period when Army Aviators flocked to FWQ or UPT for 'stuck wing' because that's what most wanted to fly. Notice I say most. Some ex Army guys had an easy transition, but quite a few including me went through a major adjustment period. The AF standard for flying excellence is at a premium while Army aviation makes the soldier and mission priority. Again, no one is "above" the other - they just focus on different aspects. I love everything the Army does and quite frankly, I envy the guys in the trenches who are the backbone of our military. The AF was just more suited to my tastes.

Hope this sheds some light. Cheers to all.

Col H

Sounds like a hell of a career. How were you able to go from green to blue? On behalf of everyone who ever received support from A-10s: I love you.

• Like 1

Well I went to an air show a long time ago when I was just a kid and the guy that worked there said that they fly kind of low , the A10... was pretty a neat plane .... It had a face pic with jaws on the nose of it ... That was one of the ones I wanted to sit inside of but they wouldn't let me I guess for security reasons

She's not that short.

i hope my height doesn't become a problem ...I m 5'8 on a really good day and thats what I like to tell people but i might be closer to 5'7 ... is that too short to be a pilot?? I always assumed I'd be ok but now I'm starting to wonder a little ...

i hope my height doesn't become a problem ...I m 5'8 on a really good day and thats what I like to tell people but i might be closer to 5'7 ... is that too short to be a pilot?? I always assumed I'd be ok but now I'm starting to wonder a little ...

Probably an issue. I think the minimum height for males on the class 1 is 6' 3".

• Like 3

Probably an issue. I think the minimum height for males on the class 1 is 6' 3".

I'm 6' 1" but was able to obtain a waiver...thank God. Even then, with the seat all the way forward and the pedals all the way back, I could just reach the pedals with my tippy toes. I always thought actual flight control manipulation was overrated anyway. FPS does all the work.

Doubtful a height waiver would be approved today. I got lucky.

• Like 2

Interservice transfers aren't all that uncommon in the Army. Knew some guys who went AF and are now flying HH-60s, C-130s, C-5s, KC-135s in the ANG. Even a couple that went A-10s AD. Last I heard CG is mostly former Army as well. Just gotta apply and see what happens.

Huh, that's interesting... I've heard that the Air Force is struggling to keep some of their pilots these days. Never knew that interservice transfers were that uncommon.

Huh, that's interesting... I've heard that the Air Force is struggling to keep some of their pilots these days. Never knew that interservice transfers were that uncommon.

Well, I suppose I knew 8 or 9 guys that went to other services. I suppose it's not all that common when I think about it. Definitely doable though if you seek that route.

I'm 6' 1" but was able to obtain a waiver...thank God. Even then, with the seat all the way forward and the pedals all the way back, I could just reach the pedals with my tippy toes. I always thought actual flight control manipulation was overrated anyway. FPS does all the work.

Doubtful a height waiver would be approved today. I got lucky.

Wait a minute whats going on ...How can this be true??? I saw some pilots before and they didn't even look 6 ft ... please tell me this isn't true because Im going to be really down if Im dead before I even start