Let's talk about aviation fashion! Have you ever seen a pilot in bib overalls?

Perhaps, this is still the most practical, however.

This hairstyle is uncommon in aviators these days, even civilian ones.

Meet Vernon, my flight gear model.

attire%20-%20helicopter%20crew_zps2vmg84

• Like 1

Fashion?

Overalls, yes; flight suits are worn for various types of flying, but generally not preferred for corporate activities.

Bib overalls, not so much. I've used carhart bib overalls in cold climates, with the advantage that the jacket can be taken off when going indoors (as opposed to single piece coveralls), and they're sometimes more comfortable when doing maintenance.

Fashion, though? Gun rig? Looks like something out of Napoleon Dynamite.

What do airline pilots have to do with helicopters?

Edited by avbug

Much as I hate flight suits, bib overalls are the worst option. Two-piece flight suits are my preference. I liked the old 'kepi' fatigue caps, but they're impractical.

A conventional hip holster is a real problem. I believe chest rigs are better, cross-draw second (especially between one's legs), cavalry draw (butt forward on the strong side) next but only marginally better than conventional holster while in the cockpit or vehicle seat.

It's not about style, especially for crew chiefs...

Fashion?

Overalls, yes; flight suits are worn for various types of flying, but generally not preferred for corporate activities.

Bib overalls, not so much. I've used carhart bib overalls in cold climates, with the advantage that the jacket can be taken off when going indoors (as opposed to single piece coveralls), and they're sometimes more comfortable when doing maintenance.

Nothing. I threw the airline pilot remark in to be funny. I have never seen chopper pilots sporting ice-cream-suit flight clothing. Army helicopter pilots and crew chiefs wear those jumpsuit/coverall things. I was thinking of some kind of special aviation clothing to be worn by helicopter and/or fixed wing pilots and captains. I guess the jumpsuits are most practical for aviators, generally speaking.

I don't have corporate flying in mind, anyway, but rather private general aviation. I suppose corporate pilots wear dressy attire in the cockpits of biz jets and corporate choppers and such.

If I owned private aircraft, rotary and fixed, as a rich fellow I would want my crew members in uniform on the job. I don't like the looks of civvies on pilots, even in private birds. However, I would want clothing that looked different from the aviation status quo.

The gun rig is for animal attack protection in the wilds in case the aircraft lands in wilderness areas to do "boonies" operations or has to ditch in a wilderness area in an emergency. My aircraft would always carry an adequate wilderness survival kit.

-handgun and ammo

-GPS

-flashlight

-signal flares

-water/food provisions for a few days

-simple shelter provisions

-emergency VHF radio

-radio beacon

-knife

-rope

Fashion?

Nothing. I threw the airline pilot remark in to be funny. I have never seen chopper pilots sporting ice-cream-suit flight clothing. Army helicopter pilots and crew chiefs wear those jumpsuit/coverall things. I was thinking of some kind of special aviation clothing to be worn by helicopter and/or fixed wing pilots and captains. I guess the jumpsuits are most practical for aviators, generally speaking.

I don't have corporate flying in mind, anyway, but rather private general aviation. I suppose corporate pilots wear dressy attire in the cockpits of biz jets and corporate choppers and such.

If I owned private aircraft, rotary and fixed, as a rich fellow I would want my crew members in uniform on the job. I don't like the looks of civvies on pilots, even in private birds. However, I would want clothing that looked different from the aviation status quo.

The gun rig is for animal attack protection in the wilds in case the aircraft lands in wilderness areas to do "boonies" operations or has to ditch in a wilderness area in an emergency. My aircraft would always carry an adequate wilderness survival kit.

-handgun and ammo

-GPS

-flashlight

-signal flares

-water/food provisions for a few days

-simple shelter provisions

-emergency VHF radio

-radio beacon

-knife

-rope

I do have to wonder if this is the work of a troll, as it is very hard to take seriously. I believe you said you're a high school student who likes aviation. Is that right? I might buy some of this on that basis and extend a little credit, but this thread is a bit over the top. The pictures look like a cross between something out of Napoleon Dynamite and Deliverance, with a bit of french foreign legion thrown in, with a nod to fist full of dollars or hang em' high.

It's a job. Not a fashion show.

"Jumpsuits" worn by aviators are generally for fire protection, and not for fashion. The flight suits are made from fire resistant material, such as nomex, and are intended to protect against flash burns. I wear one while firefighting, along with a helmet.

If you were to wear a flight suit while flying around privately, you might miss all the finger pointing and chuckles behind your back, as you pass through the fixed base operation (FBO) on your way to the ramp to go fly. If you were to wear bib overalls, you wouldn't miss the laughing at all; it would be unmistakable. If you were to wear the hat in the picture, you'd have to step over the people rolling around on the floor, convulsing in laughter.

For cold weather, carhart makes work coveralls that are suspended over the shoulders like a bib overall. One can purchase a jacket in the same insulated material. Definitely not a fashion statement.

As for "ice cream" uniforms, as one who's worn epaulets and tie with a white pilot shirt while performing airline flying, as well as corporate and charter, I'd disagree. I'd rather not wear a white shirt around aircraft, but it's a perfectly legitimate way to dress for work.

All the rest of that gear...the military wears a survival vest, but are planning on getting shot down somewhere over the LA basin and trying to survive in Englewood on the street for a while, or what? You forgot to include the kitchen sink, and where's your fulton extraction system?

Edited by avbug

I do have to wonder if this is the work of a troll, as it is very hard to take seriously. I believe you said you're a high school student who likes aviation. Is that right? I might buy some of this on that basis and extend a little credit, but this thread is a bit over the top. The pictures look like a cross between something out of Napoleon Dynamite and Deliverance, with a bit of french foreign legion thrown in, with a nod to fist full of dollars or hang em' high.

It's a job. Not a fashion show.

"Jumpsuits" worn by aviators are generally for fire protection, and not for fashion. The flight suits are made from fire resistant material, such as nomex, and are intended to protect against flash burns. I wear one while firefighting, along with a helmet.

If you were to wear a flight suit while flying around privately, you might miss all the finger pointing and chuckles behind your back, as you pass through the fixed base operation (FBO) on your way to the ramp to go fly. If you were to wear bib overalls, you wouldn't miss the laughing at all; it would be unmistakable. If you were to wear the hat in the picture, you'd have to step over the people rolling around on the floor, convulsing in laughter.

For cold weather, carhart makes work coveralls that are suspended over the shoulders like a bib overall. One can purchase a jacket in the same insulated material. Definitely not a fashion statement.

As for "ice cream" uniforms, as one who's worn epaulets and tie with a white pilot shirt while performing airline flying, as well as corporate and charter, I'd disagree. I'd rather not wear a white shirt around aircraft, but it's a perfectly legitimate way to dress for work.

All the rest of that gear...the military wears a survival vest, but are planning on getting shot down somewhere over the LA basin and trying to survive in Englewood on the street for a while, or what? You forgot to include the kitchen sink, and where's your fulton extraction system?

Not a troll, but a young fellow who dreams of getting super rich and owning several private birds (a Sikorsky S-92 helicopter, a Gulfstream G 650 jet and a Beech King Air 350 series twin turbo-prop plane all with glass cockpits, lavatories and air conditioning) for recreational flying. I actually dream of being the captain of my own aircraft with a copilot. I am envisioning something fun to wear, however. These would be civilian aircraft and not for any dangerous missions typical for commercial or military helicopters. My helicopter would be my favorite recreational bird.

Right now flying is all just a fantasy. A PC flight sim is the only thing I can afford to get as close to the action as possible. I am a college, not a high school student.

Call me a Peter Pan pilot if you will.

I fancy flying rural areas mainly in a helicopter for sight seeing, hunting, camping and searching for Bigfoot. The state of California and the Pacific Northwest states hold the greatest interest for me to explore. I would also make trips through the Rockies, the Sierras, Denali and up to Barrow Alaska. I would fly over a big city like LA sometimes only because the traffic on the ground is so horrible. A helicopter is certainly a great automobile traffic beater.

I hate piston aircraft because they are noisy and don't offer the safety of gas-turbine engines.

Oh, i got you bromigo. Its just that your choice of topics is so different from typical discussions on here. Its refreshing though.

Well I would say that most pilots are gonna go for function over fashion, not that fashion doesn't count though.

In my opinion aviator sunglasses where designed with function in mind, they got high-jacked by fashion after the movie Top Gun when Tom Cruise turned fighter pilots into sex symbols.

I say tighten up that skill you got with photoshop, take design cues from some of these veteran pilots on here and come back at us with your style of fashion. Who knows? You might start a trend...

Turbines are for pussies!

R22 FOREVER!!!!!

By choice, or is that just how it's working out for you thus far.

I like my turby, it goes whoosh and everything.

Also, I'm not into overalls. If I had my own aircraft I'd fly that sucker in cargo shorts and flip flops.

• Like 1

Oh, i got you bromigo. Its just that your choice of topics is so different from typical discussions on here. Its refreshing though.

Well I would say that most pilots are gonna go for function over fashion, not that fashion doesn't count though.

In my opinion aviator sunglasses where designed with function in mind, they got high-jacked by fashion after the movie Top Gun when Tom Cruise turned fighter pilots into sex symbols.

I say tighten up that skill you got with photoshop, take design cues from some of these veteran pilots on here and come back at us with your style of fashion. Who knows? You might start a trend...

Looks of flight crews might be important to rich banking executives in fancy helicopters.

I can't say that civilian pilots need special fireproof suits in the cockpit or any such extractors.

Fashion?

Napoleon Dynamite was a total nerd or a geek or a dork!

You bring up a good point about the rich people with their particular tastes, I would venture to guess though that most wealthy people up in NYC using that new "Blade" app are to consumed with other things than to scrutinize a pilots uniform.

If the helicopter taxi service industry does blow up and multiple companies start to compete, outside of depenability, service, or safety, maybe it will come down to a fashionable crew that customers prefer.

I think you are on to something, broseph

You bring up a good point about the rich people with their particular tastes, I would venture to guess though that most wealthy people up in NYC using that new "Blade" app are to consumed with other things than to scrutinize a pilots uniform.

Absolutely. We humble rickshaw pullers are wholly customer orientated, and it's whatever pleases them. Sometimes however, the alternate uniforms do cause problems. I had a helluva time with the head gear requirement on one of my gigs. But I just sucked it up, and did my best.

Here's a link with a photo of my alternate uniform. That's me, doing my best to please my customer.

My alternate uniform

:huh:

• Like 1

Hey Jonothan Bailey, don't listen to the haters, dream big and buy a personal fleet of s-92. However I think you may get tired of a co pilot. The stripper / coke ratio goes WAY down when you have to deal with a needy co pilot.

I also agree that piston engines are at any moment going to blow up. It's hard to imagine that everyone is able to make it to work driving such crap technology. I don't think there are any reliable piston engine helicraft flying today.

Do you know AvBug? He also dreams of being a pilot someday. You should get his details and you can make out in your flight sim playing good pilot / bad pilot.

Whats the deal with all of these "fashion" threads??? Are you an inspiring pilot, or an inspiring fashion designer? And ditch your Vernon model.

Get away from your computer, put on some cologne, and go out and chase women. Then get back to helicopters.