702 Helicopters in Las Vegas

Hey everyone, I am thinking of becoming a helicopter pilot, but wanted to give it a try first. I'm in California for work, but travel to Vegas for leisure on the weekends, and I wanted to try to take flying lessons. I noticed a flight school is a sponsor of the site, so I took a look at their link and liked what I saw.

They have an "Aviator" Discovery Flight -

The “Aviator” Discovery Flight includes 1 hour of Ground Instruction. Your instructor will explain to you how the helicopter controls work, and give you an FAA SFAR73 Safety Briefing.

You have the option between the 2-seat R22 or the 4-seat R44. Flying in the R44 allows you to bring up to 2 passengers (in the back of the helicopter).

NOTE: The max. seat weight on the R22 is 240 lbs. If you weigh more, you will have to fly the R44 instead. The R44 has a max. seat weight of 300 lbs.

Now I haven't inquired about price or anything, I would fly the R44 if my friend and his wife want to come along for my first flight ever, but otherwise would do the R22.

Does anyone have any input on the school, or notice anything on their website that suggests something is not quite right with them? Also, on the cost, I don't really know much about it, but I am expecting it to cost about $500? Do you think I am far off the mark?

Thanks for your help, Link Below.

http://702helicopters.com/en/

• Like 1

If you're in the R44 and the flight is an hour $500 wouldn't be too far off the mark, but would actually be a bit on the high side. Well.... SHOULD be on the high side. I've no clue what their rates are.

Best option would be to just call them and find out.

Edited by ridethisbike

Thanks for your input. Ill give them a call this afternoon and see what they have to say.

Does anyone know of any other schools around las vegas (or Ridgecrest CA for that matter) that will let me fly a little bit without committing to some kind of training plan? I'm just looking for an hour or two. Maybe I'll do it a couple times if its addicting.

There are no helicopter training schools in Ridgecrest. Other than a pretty good bowl of chili, there really isn't much of anything in Ridgecrest!! (I'm up there a couple times a year at NAWS-CL)

Plenty of places to fly in LA and LAS......most intro flights in an R22 are around $150......and include 20-30 minutes of flight time. Double it for the R44 with the same flight time.

Edited by Goldy

There are no helicopter training schools in Ridgecrest. Other than a pretty good bowl of chili, there really isn't much of anything in Ridgecrest!! (I'm up there a couple times a year at NAWS-CL)

Plenty of places to fly in LA and LAS......most intro flights in an R22 are around $150......and include 20-30 minutes of flight time. Double it for the R44 with the same flight time.

Yeah, I'm there now, I just got here last week so I haven't had much time to go exploring. I'm going to start my package to be an army pilot, I just want to fly one first to make sure I like it as much as riding in them.

702 is where I am getting my training. I have been with a couple instructors in the air and on the ground and they have been great. When you call, ask for Brian or Bianca, they own the place.

There are a number of places here in Vegas and I visited them all. 702 is the place to go in my opinion. Message me if you have any specifics you would like to know.

702 is where I am getting my training. I have been with a couple instructors in the air and on the ground and they have been great. When you call, ask for Brian or Bianca, they own the place.

There are a number of places here in Vegas and I visited them all. 702 is the place to go in my opinion. Message me if you have any specifics you would like to know.

Cool, I'm glad you like it there. I got a price, for an hour in the R44 with 2 additional passengers, it's 525. A little more than I was expecting, but they seem to have really great reviews, and It won't be a recurring expense, so I'm not so concerned with pinching every penny.

you don't need an hour........30 minutes of ground school and 30-40 minutes of flight time is plenty for your first time out. So if it's 525 per hour, a .7 would be 42 minutes or $367.50, maybe $400 with the ground school.

Flight demo's should be a deal, they are designed to get you hooked on flying. Didn't work for me......I was already hooked.

Fly safe,

Goldy

$525 is definitely steep. Even with the hour long flight. The intro flights where I work are cheaper than that with an hour long flight and 45 mins worth of ground to cover SFAR 73 and then go down to the helicopter and talk about it, controls, and instruments (on a very basic level)

As for taking people along, you better make sure they are OK with the feeling that the helicopter is out of control once you come do some hover work (assuming you do any hover work at all).

I've done a lot of intro flight since I started here and I've only had 2 or 3 people want to come along. All of them started getting sick when we came back in for hover work.

Edited by ridethisbike

So I could also do 30 minutes in a 44 for 286, or in a 22 for 185. I'll sit down and have a talk with my potential passengers later this evening when I am in vegas, maybe take them with me to talk to the school about my options. I'm not sure if this will fly, unless we have an anorexic pilot, I'd estimate pax weight around 525 lbs. Can a 44 handle that weight and enough fuel for an hour? I guess the school would be the deciding factor on that, just thinking out loud really. I could do an hour solo in the 22 for 300 bucks.

So I could also do 30 minutes in a 44 for 286, or in a 22 for 185. I'll sit down and have a talk with my potential passengers later this evening when I am in vegas, maybe take them with me to talk to the school about my options. I'm not sure if this will fly, unless we have an anorexic pilot, I'd estimate pax weight around 525 lbs. Can a 44 handle that weight and enough fuel for an hour? I guess the school would be the deciding factor on that, just thinking out loud really. I could do an hour solo in the 22 for 300 bucks.

If I understand this correctly, your primary aim is to do a demo flight to see if this school is right for you. And, since there are 2 additional seats in the R44, you’d like to take a couple friends with you… Correct?

IMO, you should focus 100% on the demo flight as it’s something you should take seriously. In short, it’s not a joy ride.. Plus, do it in the R22 because that’s what you’ll be training in. After that, let your friends take a flight at one of the tour operators. There, they’ll see what your trying to achieve while enjoying the scenery..

Lastly, YOU should be assessing the school. Not your friends (unless they are pro-helo pilots)…..

If I understand this correctly, your primary aim is to do a demo flight to see if this school is right for you. And, since there are 2 additional seats in the R44, you’d like to take a couple friends with you… Correct?

IMO, you should focus 100% on the demo flight as it’s something you should take seriously. In short, it’s not a joy ride.. Plus, do it in the R22 because that’s what you’ll be training in. After that, let your friends take a flight at one of the tour operators. There, they’ll see what your trying to achieve while enjoying the scenery..

Lastly, YOU should be assessing the school. Not your friends (unless they are pro-helo pilots)…..

Roger, I get that. I appreciate you saying what I need to hear.