Last minute SIFT advice?

I second what all the others said. Take your time. Don't rush. Just know that you've studied all you can and clear your head before heading in there. The simple drawings go as fast as you can BUT be accurate. Hidden figures I squinted on some and it actually helped me. Spatial was nothing like I studied. The drawings were way worse but the concept is the same. Aviation section you either have read it and know it or you don't. Reading comp is just that you read and see he what you comprehended just like you studied I'm sure. Math was pretty difficult for me because I'm not that good at it. Mechanical was fairly easy for me because I enjoy those kind of things. So clear your head get a good nights rest and a decent beakfast. I ended up scoring a 62

You say the drawings are different than you had study? My method is to see where the ground is; right side, left, headed towards, headed away. When I do that I usually only have one or two options and then it gets easy. Would that method still work with how you experienced the drawings?

Absolutely that method worked for me. When I say the drawings were worse I mean the actually quality of the drawing it was kind of hard to tell what is what. Maybe it was just me but the quality of the picture was worse than the ones I have been studying. But you are coming from an aviation back ground you should be fine

• Like 1

Don't forget to post afterwards and let us know your thoughts! (but don't give away any questions). It's been awhile since anyone has given some good advice on the SIFT.

Don't really feel like sharing but I got a 62. Which is good considering I completely jacked up the simple drawings and hidden figures. The time went extremely fast compared to what I was prepared for. My test also reset twice during the first test and even though I wasn't docked time it just threw me off. I only made it to the mid 60s before I just started clicking. While some people have said that is the method, I wonder if I would have gotten more correct actually answering for the last 10 seconds vice just clicking. The hidden figures destroyed me. I don't know if I missed it in the instructions because I was frazzled or what but I didn't know some figures can be used more than once. The spatial was pretty easy for me based off prior experience but the drawings are not the best quality as stated above. Reading was.... Reading. The math and mechanical were both 50/50 on it being something I had studied before. I think the math was actually a bit easier than I expected while the mechanical was harder. Either way I'm not 100% happy with my score but all I can do now is make sure my packet is good and solid so that it can overshadow it.

Don't really feel like sharing but I got a 62. Which is good considering I completely jacked up the simple drawings and hidden figures. The time went extremely fast compared to what I was prepared for. My test also reset twice during the first test and even though I wasn't docked time it just threw me off. I only made it to the mid 60s before I just started clicking. While some people have said that is the method, I wonder if I would have gotten more correct actually answering for the last 10 seconds vice just clicking. The hidden figures destroyed me. I don't know if I missed it in the instructions because I was frazzled or what but I didn't know some figures can be used more than once. The spatial was pretty easy for me based off prior experience but the drawings are not the best quality as stated above. Reading was.... Reading. The math and mechanical were both 50/50 on it being something I had studied before. I think the math was actually a bit easier than I expected while the mechanical was harder. Either way I'm not 100% happy with my score but all I can do now is make sure my packet is good and solid so that it can overshadow it.

I mean a 62 is nothing to scoff at, the score to pass is 40 and the average is a 50. Not sure what the rest of your packet looks like but I don't see it being an issue.

62 is actually a good score. Take a look at the thread of the selected individuals. You will see that a 62 is a competitive score but it's all up to how the rest of your packet looks not just your SIFT.

USMC, I found that the first section and "shapes" section are weighted less than the knowledge based stuff. I had a terrible first section and ended up with a 75. Like everyone is saying, 62 should be enough to not count against you. 50 and above makes you eligible anyway....I wouldn't worry. I bet its a pass/fail kind of thing anyway...

For anyone looking for advices, I'd suggest not thinking through the first section (you might as well just start clicking randomly....just kidding but seriously, you blink and the timer says 00:00) and a systematic method to analyze the hidden figures is useful. you have 1.2 seconds per item to do the first section and then 6 seconds per hidden figure (assuming you are able to complete the entire set). Just knock em out and don't worry bout it. Study the Helicopter flight handbook (FAA-H-8083-21A) general sections, know your miltary helicopter types, and use the SIFT study guide book to help with the other sections (its pretty good but, unless you have a mathematics background of at LEAST college level algebra, you will likely have some difficulty. its hard to develop math skill from a single study guide). Plus if you know some physics and engineering basics, the mechanical section are easier.

The SIFT TestSubtest# of itemsTime

1. Simple Drawings (SD)100: 2 minutes

2. Hidden Figures (HF)50: 5 minutes

3. Army Aviation Information Test (AAIT)40: 30 minutes

4. Spatial Apperception Test (SAT)25: 10 minutes

5. Reading Comprehension Test (RCT)20: 30 minutes

6. Math Skills Test (MST)varies: 40 minutes

7. Mechanical Comprehension Test (MCT)varies:15 minutes

As you can see, time management is critical.

Taking the SIFT tomorrow morning. I've been studying pretty hard the past month but today I'm stressing about these hidden figures. I just can't get these things. On the first of two practice tests I took today the directions said you have 5 minutes for 50 questions but on the practice test there are only 15 questions so I have 1 minute 30 seconds. Well I used the 5 minutes by accident (my first mistake, not reading the instructions thoroughly. I was able to answer all 15 questions (2 wrong) in the 5 minutes only to realize on the next test I was supposed to only give myself a minute and a half.

I already had felt like I basically guessed on all of the questions but I decided to go ahead and take the second practice test and give myself the correct allotted time. I answered 2 questions and got one wrong. I've tried the squinting method but I'm not sure it really helped me. Are there any last minute tips for this section or should I just go in and randomly guess on it. I've studied all the images from the SIFT Study Guide by Accepted Inc and the Military Flight Aptitude Tests for Dummies as well as a couple other images I was able to find online but I have seen no improvement. I almost feel like I shouldn't have even bothered looking at these things again because now I'm just getting myself super nervous.

One last question, I know I've read the answer to this somewhere but is this one of the sections that wrong answers hurt you or can I go ahead and just guess on them?

You'll be fine. At this point I think all you can do is get a good nights sleep and come in relaxed and confident for the test.

For strategy, I would try to not focus my vision too much. Try and look at the entire figure (just blankly stare into space at that computer screen), and see if your shape can exist within the jumble of lines. It's usually large and in the middle, so if your focusing inside the image too much it's pretty darn hard to see.

I wouldn't recommend guessing, just get through as many as you can correctly. I believe I got through 30-40 of them without guessing and that still equated to an 80. I suspect there may be a penalty for wrong answers with zero points earned or lost for no answer.

Good luck!

Thanks! I just went ahead and did the best I could. Surprising the hidden figures were much easier for me on the real test than they were on all of the practice tests I did. Honestly the test in general was much easier than I expected. I put a ton of time into studying for it though. Ended up with a 71 so I'm satisfied!

Thanks! I just went ahead and did the best I could. Surprising the hidden figures were much easier for me on the real test than they were on all of the practice tests I did. Honestly the test in general was much easier than I expected. I put a ton of time into studying for it though. Ended up with a 71 so I'm satisfied!

Killed it! Congrats!