Having a baby during flight school?

Have any of you had a spouse that was pregnant during IERW or Advanced? I can't believe I'm having to ask this but it seems that I am now in this situation. We found out yesterday that we have a little one on the way. I'm concerned because I will be attending WOCS in August and assume that the child will be born sometime during flight. This was not a planned pregnancy and we are very anxious as this was a complete surprise. Anyone had a similar experience or pointers that could calm our nerves?

Thanks, I want to be excited but at the same time I'm wanting to continue my military aviation career and I can't stand the thought of not doing well after all of the time and energy invested in completing my training. My wife feels the same way as she is very career oriented with her current employer. We actually have a sweet deal due to her regional director's office being located in Dothan. She was taking a transfer to work for that office and now I'm afraid this might sideline that plan. Oh well, I guess this is when all of that resiliency training becomes handy :lol:

Paternity leave is 10 days of non chargeable leave. I'm having a baby in September, and start primary in 2 weeks. When we get our brief next week I'll ask about the policy. Regulation states that if you can't take paternity leave due to deployment, you have 6 months to take it upon return. I assume (best guess) that if you can't take leave during school, the same rule will apply. I'll let you know next week what the real answer us though.

Don't let life/baby whatever derail you from your dream to fly choppers. Stay focused.

Don't let life/baby whatever derail you from your dream to fly choppers. Stay focused.

? That's not the issue at hand. Did you go through Army flight school?

Paternity leave is 10 days of non chargeable leave. I'm having a baby in September, and start primary in 2 weeks. When we get our brief next week I'll ask about the policy. Regulation states that if you can't take paternity leave due to deployment, you have 6 months to take it upon return. I assume (best guess) that if you can't take leave during school, the same rule will apply. I'll let you know next week what the real answer us though.

Thanks, I would appreciate any information you would be willing to provide after the brief. Congrats btw.

Unfortunately I didn't have the privilege to even try army flight school since I had a brain operation at 16. Enjoy your military flying, stay focused and remember how lucky you are. I'd kill to fly military. Flying an Mi-24 for 3k an hour is just not the same.

What will happen is when you start your paternity leave, they pluck you from your training where you are, you take leave, then when you are done they plug you back in right where you left off with another class that is at that same point or close to it. No biggie just be open and honest about it prior to it happening so your flight commander can track it and be aware

• Like 1

What will happen is when you start your paternity leave, they pluck you from your training where you are, you take leave, then when you are done they plug you back in right where you left off with another class that is at that same point or close to it. No biggie just be open and honest about it prior to it happening so your flight commander can track it and be aware

Yamer is exactly right. Worst case scenario is you get set back a class. I wanna say paternity leave is 10 days when that time comes, but I'm not citing a reference on that.

My wife is pregnant right now and there were a few times in primary I had to miss flight line and/or academics to take her to the ER due to dehydration. It wasn't a big deal, I called my class leader and told him I wouldn't make it to class and he sent it up the chain. I got one phone call from B. Co only to make sure everything was ok with us and was never charged leave or hassled about it. My IP made up the flight time and I still checked on time or early both times and had no problems with academics.

The biggest thing I have for you is to be prepared for really shitty medical care. No offense to anyone from lower Alabama, but it's pretty bad here. We looked online for the best OB/GYN and found that most have 2-3 star reviews and the majority of the few with good reviews weren't accepting new patients. Avoid Ladies First. I haven't been there, but I've heard that from several people.

Congrats and good luck to you. If you have any questions, send me a pm and I'll do what I can for you.

• Like 1

Yamer is exactly right. Worst case scenario is you get set back a class. I wanna say paternity leave is 10 days when that time comes, but I'm not citing a reference on that.

My wife is pregnant right now and there were a few times in primary I had to miss flight line and/or academics to take her to the ER due to dehydration. It wasn't a big deal, I called my class leader and told him I wouldn't make it to class and he sent it up the chain. I got one phone call from B. Co only to make sure everything was ok with us and was never charged leave or hassled about it. My IP made up the flight time and I still checked on time or early both times and had no problems with academics.

The biggest thing I have for you is to be prepared for really shitty medical care. No offense to anyone from lower Alabama, but it's pretty bad here. We looked online for the best OB/GYN and found that most have 2-3 star reviews and the majority of the few with good reviews weren't accepting new patients. Avoid Ladies First. I haven't been there, but I've heard that from several people.

Congrats and good luck to you. If you have any questions, send me a pm and I'll do what I can for you.

Thanks. I've heard the same regarding the medical care in the area. My current XO told me that he was in the same position and only found one physician that he would trust to care for his wife in the surrounding areas off-post.

We had a surprise Rucker baby. He was born between instruments and BWS. Don't get me wrong, I love the little guy but it was terrible, he's 5 months old now and it's still difficult. You're in for a lot of extra work. While you're flying 90% of the work is going to land on your wife or significant other.

• Like 3

I'm in advanced airframe now. My stick buddy's got a little one due next month and one of he lts in my class has twins due the MO the after.

They're both planning to forgo the ten days leave and only taking a couple, to avoid getting set back a class. Seems like itll be your choice.

• Like 2