Near miss

You were out at the Hamptons doing tours at 1000 ft is that my understanding? At first reading I thought you were both landing but in a later post you said it was a tour route? I wasn't aware that there were helicopter tours out there.

Helicopters going in and out of the Hamptons are typically at 2500 ft or higher for this exact purpose and for noise and they have very strict approach and departure procedures to prevent this type of thing. Might need to adjust your altitude for safety, I know the tour won't be as good, but a bad tour is better than a midair collision.

Nope. Not THE Hamptons. Hampton Airfield. In the town of Hampton, not in NY. But you're right, adjusting altitude is better than a mid-air, that's for sure. I'm going to talk to the boss and see what he has to say about it. Ultimately, I don't think adjusting my altitude by a few hundred feet will bother him, or the passengers, just need to figure out which direction is the better choice.

I you adjust your altitude, how would your boss ever know? It seems that avoiding a mid-air is the responsibility of the pilot in command. Not the boss on the ground.

The boss isn't always on the ground. This is a small operation. He often tags along in the extra seat to narrate.

Either way, you're right, it's not his responsibility. It's mine. But if I can get the blessing from him to do it rather than telling him it's my way or no way seems like the better option.

Knowing him, the conversation would be less about me trying to convince him than me saying "hey boss, for safety safe, I think we should fly a couple hundred feet higher or lower during this segment." His response will most likely be "ok man, your call."

Done deal. Tact goes a long way, as you know.

Of course, there's always the chance that it doesn't go that way and if I want to keep my job (as a low timer) I get stuck flying at his desired altitude when he's there.

Edited by ridethisbike