What chance does a WO fresh out of flight school have of making green platoon? I understand they want you to have a few hundred flight hours after school, but if anyone has any insight or is already in 160th I'd greatly appreciate this info.

Thank you

Extremely extremely rare. They usually hand pick only a select few a year from what I hear. Also, those selected have previously been in a spec ops unit a majority of the time. This way the new avaitor has exposure to the mission. Best bet is to go to your first unit and get the "stupid" out of your system, then assess. Stearmann can speak more to this but this is what I have heard/read.

Jay,

There's a little more to it than either being prior SOF or top 10% of your class. Those are just the basics for your application to assess to be considered. It is not an indicator on how you'll perform in OGP (Officer Green Platoon).

If you don't have flight experience (as a PC), or demonstrated leadership skills, there isn't much change you'll be invited to assess. I've facilitated a couple WO1s and a 2LT to successfully asses, but they were either #1, or close to it, and carried themselves through the assessment as officers who were far more experienced.

There is no learning curve at the assessment, it's all performance, and it's either pass or fail.

Mike-

As several WOs both currently in flight school, as well as successful Nightstalkers will tell you that it's fine to have aspirations, but save yourself some heat and keep your goals private until you're in a position to execute.

This is great advice. I wish I had known this little tidbit 4 years ago. Probably would've made Sgt. before I went Green to Gold.