Learning to hover

This was a pretty interesting read.

http://www.usaarl.army.mil/TechReports/2000-22.PDF

haha, those pics brought back some memories of carrying rolls of tape and shop towels to cover over the holes so that light wouldn't leak in and distract me.

Check out how Nicolas Cage handled it at 37:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmUsPrJjsfc

haha, those pics brought back some memories of carrying rolls of tape and shop towels to cover over the holes so that light wouldn't leak in and distract me.

Check out how Nicolas Cage handled it at 37:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmUsPrJjsfc

I don't think I've ever actually seen that one, need to watch it tomorrow for sure.

That's actually not a very accurate measure, it works some times but it doesn't for me. I know I'm left eye dominant. I actually had to learn to shoot left handed in basic because my right eye couldn't focus on the front sight, my left eye kept taking over. Drill Sgt's aren't as cool as Tommy Lee Jones was haha.

The best way to tell is to hold your fingers in a circle at arm length and focus on an object through your fingers. Then slowly move the circle up to your face, by the time your fingers touch your face one of your eyes will be centered in the circle this is your dominant eye.

That way works even if you already know which eye is dominant because one of your fingers will cross in front of the object if you move to the wrong eye.

Ive had a Lifted F150 as a Kiowa pilot, and for the majority of my Chinook time, a 1997 Hyundai Accent in Korea. So, Im a huge dude, in a tiny helicopter in a huge truck. Or a huge dude, in a huge helicopter, in a tiny car.

Fuk yo stereotypes. Haha

• Like 2

Actually, one of the ALSE instructors pointed at the biggest dude in our class today and asked "you're a Kiowa pilot aren't you?" Sooo you still fit the stereotype, suckerrr.

That's actually not a very accurate measure, it works some times but it doesn't for me. I know I'm left eye dominant. I actually had to learn to shoot left handed in basic because my right eye couldn't focus on the front sight, my left eye kept taking over. Drill Sgt's aren't as cool as Tommy Lee Jones was haha.

The best way to tell is to hold your fingers in a circle at arm length and focus on an object through your fingers. Then slowly move the circle up to your face, by the time your fingers touch your face one of your eyes will be centered in the circle this is your dominant eye.

That way works even if you already know which eye is dominant because one of your fingers will cross in front of the object if you move to the wrong eye.

Everyone is left eye dominant in the Bag when something bright shines in the cockpit - your left eye will jump on it and take over. That's why it's so important to cover all the light sources, though you can't cover the light coming in under the pedals or the warning/caution lights.

Where it gets freaky is when your right eye can still focus on the HDU while your left eye is looking at something else; that's the graduate degree level of Bag flight.

Here is how I learned to hover.

I was at hour 6 or 7 and was frustrated due to the fact that I was still all over the place. Anyways, here is the conversation that led up to me learning to hover.

Me: Ok, f**k this. You keep coming on the controls and smoothing me out. I am never going to learn this with you helping me out.

My IP: Well, if you would f**cking relax maybe I wouldn't have to keep us from hitting the ground.

Me: Oh, now you want to actually give me some pointers. How about you start doing that 5 minutes ago.

My IP: I've been giving you a class for the last 5 minutes, idiot, and if you would notice my hands and feet are in the air.

I look over and see that he literally has his hands and feet in the air and I am at a dead still hover.

Just because an IP isn't constantly spitting out the ATM maneuver standards verbatim doesn't mean his isn't taking you to school.

I get to start this in 2 weeks... I'm actually excited for the challenge of it.

Good luck with it!! I think people work it up a lot, don't get me wrong it was difficult and weird. I actual somehow managed to score a better grade on my Bag checkride then my nights lol

A new student's cyclic movements are a bit like a cone, starting out at the top with BIG inputs and corrections, but gradually relaxing and moving down the cone until the controls are just moving by thought processes.

One of the best demos is to tell the student to take hands and feet off, and turn to watch me. I then put one finger on the top of the cyclic, friction the collective a little and put left hand in the air, and slowly remove my right foot from the pedals and raise it too. One finger, one foot is all that is needed to hover. There is no need to make the buttons pop out of the stick and give yourself cramps in the wrist.

• Like 2

Good luck with it!! I think people work it up a lot, don't get me wrong it was difficult and weird. I actual somehow managed to score a better grade on my Bag checkride then my nights lol

Thank you!

Retinal rivalry is a true b****... Your brain jumps to any light like that squirrel on ice age when he's sees the nut. I've got about 9 hrs bag time now. Hover taxying like a boss but the rest is small incremental improvement.

Haha and as I type this at ech one of my classmates just tried to roll on at 60kt, bounced up to 15-20 ft, and performed the most drastic decel I've ever seen....I love it

As for cars, I drive a wagon too

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out of flight school for inability to hover. Because you will eventually get it.

Don't believe that...some of my classmates never made it out of Primary because they could never learn to hover...as did some of the candidates in the class behind us and ahead of us. (but this was DECADES AGO and I don't know what the standards/time limits are like now). HOWEVER, the best thing to do is to relax and enjoy it and you will most likely find that all of a sudden you can do it. I don't know about now days, but when I went through Primary in PISTON AIRCRAFT (for cryin' out loud!!) we called it "Finding the hover button". HAVE FUN!!!