Hey guys,

Long story short- I am currently a college senior contracted with the National Guard. I was over the seating height (by 1.5 cm) in the TH-67 on paper but passed an in-cockpit evaluation at Ft. Rucker. Because of this, I am having to apply for an Exception to Policy as a part of getting my flight physical approved.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How long should I be prepared to wait? For your information, my physical has been down at Rucker for just under a month. I have found some past questions from people with the same ETP questions where answers varied from weeks to months, but most have been due to eye trouble, not anthropomorphic troubles.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I'm confused. Did you pass the anthro seating height portion of the flight physical? Many of us are too tall for the TH67/OH58 but got med waivers to fly them in flight school, including me. It was a transparent process for me, didn't even know it had happened until I saw the waiver in my med records well after IERW. Who told you about the exception to policy?

The waiver IS an exception to policy. Mine is an ETP as well (although for the opposite problem, too short). I don't really know why it's an ETP instead of a simple waiver, but it is.

I'm confused. Did you pass the anthro seating height portion of the flight physical? Many of us are too tall for the TH67/OH58 but got med waivers to fly them in flight school, including me. It was a transparent process for me, didn't even know it had happened until I saw the waiver in my med records well after IERW. Who told you about the exception to policy?

So when I went into get my flight physical done, I was over the seating height by that 1.5 centimeters. As a result, I had to go down to Ft. Rucker and physically sit in every airframe the Army flies in front of an IP so he could verify I did in fact fit and could manipulate the controls in every direction without my legs being in the way. I left with a piece of paper essentially saying "yes, he is over the seating height, but he still fits in every airframe and we recommend him for a waiver (ETP)". That then got submitted with my flight physical at the beginning of this month.

I guess my question is, will that waiver request add any time to the normal wait time for a flight physical to get approved?

I had not looked yet, but I was planning on trying to get in touch with him this morning when I heard from the AVMED OIC that my flight physical has actually yet to be sent down to Rucker since as a PA, she cannot send them. So, I have to wait for a Flight Surgeon to send it down when he/she gets in next week. Go figure.

My flight physical and associated ETP were approved 3 days after they were sent to Rucker. Exceptions to policy for routine issues seem to be approved quickly. As for the difference between an ETP and a waiver, I was told that ETPs are for Class 1 flight physicals (initial applicant, non-flyers), whereas waivers are for Class 2 flight physicals (current, rated flyers). The flight doc said something about receiving an exception to start flying, but a waiver to keep flying.

• 1 month later...

Not meaning to revive this dead thread, but I thought this could be helpful for future flight candidates:

My flight physical along with the exception to policy was submitted last Wednesday and was returned (approved!) Friday morning, much sooner than the ARNG Flight Surgeon I was working with expected. A two year long process finally completed! I have my board date in another two weeks!

Just thought I'd give you guys an update.